Alkalinity

A.ocellaris

(edited)

So after adding a few SPS and LPS I now notice that my Alkalinity levels are dropping:

July 10: 9.3 dKh (hanna)

July 15: 8.7 dKH (hanna)

July 17: 8.4 dKH (hanna)

Whats the ideal level to keep my Alkalinity level at? When should I start dosing for Alkalinity and how much per day?

Thanks!

Edited by A.ocellaris

How often do you do water changes? If weekly, you can probably maintain an acceptable range with just water changes but if not, you're going to need to supplement. Alkalinity in your ATO water will be enough for a while longer before you need to run dosing pumps (unless you already have them). This is a simple calculator to help you figure out the dosing requirements. At .9 dKh per week (.13 per day), it wont be much. 

I was doing weekly water changes (almost 15%), but I wanted to keep parameter very stable, so I am doing the same amount every two weeks. I do have the RedSea Foundation Supplements (Ca,Kh,Mg) that I bought since my Mg levels were around 1250 and a water change didn't increase this level much.

The product says: 1ml will raise the Alkalinity of 100 liters (25gal) by 0.036 meq/l (0.1dKH). My tank is about 32-35G with rock/sand. I am not sure how much dKH per day is safe when increasing Alk.

Thanks!!