Jay's RedSea 525

jayh

Well, it finally arrived, kinda. There does not appear to be any damage and hoping to have the stand done this evening...0bcbd60d3b6f8b548df67b172923e868.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Well, it finally arrived, kinda. There does not appear to be any damage and hoping to have the stand done this evening...0bcbd60d3b6f8b548df67b172923e868.jpg

Did u inspect it before you signed for it? That pallet job is a little scary.

Everything about this screams "nope!" Hope you took a look over it! 

I did look it over, the best I can. Just finishing the stand now. The tank appears fine, but until I am able to get it tank on the stand...

So, for the tank moved in yesterday and mounted in place. Debating between a flexible tube from the return pump and return or do a pic shot. I kinda like the lower loss with the flexible tube. That's TBD. Right now the tank is filled with tap water to leak test it, get flows dialed in and do a general cleaning of the tank. I ha e 4 gallons of distilled vinigar that I was thinking of dumping in just to make sure any mfg residue is removed before switching over to rodi water, thoughts?d9fffc50cf4db94aa80ac2538fa0d4ea.jpg

This setup looks fantastic! You're definitely going to have fun with this project!

The tank looks clean. I would think the rinse with tap water would have cleaned out most of the dust/junk from the factory/shipping but a bit of acid probably wouldn't hurt. You're in Leesburg so as long as you don't get your water pumped from NW DC I would think you'd be fine. That's going to be a lot of RODI...

(edited)

So here is my initial scape.  I used Marco rock.  Also, I'm going to add two small islands one on each side.  Make a zoa island and something else, not sure yet.  Thoughts?

post-2636641-0-83732500-1532005278_thumb.jpg

post-2636641-0-25635900-1532005496_thumb.jpg

Edited by jayh

I'd add a bit more rock, and try to go a little more organic. Currently it looks like you've got 3 levels that are almost literally leveled. The ground, the middle, the top. 

Here's a really helpful thread on balancing out a nice aquascape that has helped me in the past!

(edited)

I added two more small islands off to each side.  One will be for a Zoa garden so it does not take over the main structure and the other I'm not sure.  Starting to fill the tank SLOWLY with rodi water now.  Going to use the sump as the salt mixing station ;)  The two shelves are setup to be for SPS, lower areas are going to be for the less light desired corals.  

Also the lights are going to drop 4 inches.  Cannot wait to finish getting the water/salt in so I can get some par readings on the various future coral homes..

post-2636641-0-71686200-1532036045_thumb.jpg

Edited by jayh

All the murky beginnings of a cycle.   I went the Dr. Tims route.  And before people point out, yes the overflow tubes below are reverse.  I broke the stupid thinest plastic in the world nut on the main return, so I move the emergency return over just to get the water flowing.  Redsea is sending a replacement, but I also purchased one which will be here on Tuesday at the latest, so I have to deal with the noise until them.  Going to pickup some R4221 connections from RedSea so I can do my own overflows, in the event of another failure.  

The PVC pipe shows up today, so I get to start on that manifold for the pump return and get rid of the flexitube.  

Also picked up some super sexy cups rather than filter socks.  These came from Australia, as I was not a fan of the Red Sea cups they sell.  Yes they were more, but I picked up some regular 4inch ones to replace socks on other sumps as well.  

post-2636641-0-24465900-1532196444_thumb.jpg

post-2636641-0-45311200-1532196451_thumb.jpg