What are the differances between Green Slimer and Green Goblin Acro?

TonyInVa

What are the differances between Green Slimer and Green Goblin Acro? I am looking to purchase a green Acro. These two look the same. Are the the same?

They are different. Green Slimer (aka Bali Green Slimer) is Acropora yongei and is a thicker, longer-branched (longer than Green Goblin) Acropora species. Green Goblin is Anacropora species (possibly Anacropora forbesi) that has a thinner, shorter branching structure. Corallite shapes are decidedly different, too, with the Slimer exhibiting a more prominent corallite.

They are different. Green Slimer (aka Bali Green Slimer) is Acropora yongei and is a thicker, longer-branched (longer than Green Goblin) Acropora species. Green Goblin is Anacropora species (possibly Anacropora forbesi) that has a thinner, shorter branching structure. Corallite shapes are decidedly different, too, with the Slimer exhibiting a more prominent corallite.

Your knowledge is impressive. 

Great answer origami. The green slimer is pretty hardy and very common. I would strongly recommend it. The thick tall branches are very stately.

Your knowledge is impressive. 

Nah. Coral ID's not something I'm very good at, except maybe at a high level. However, I've seen both up close and know that they're different species - different genus, in fact. The green slimer is a common Acropora, while the Green Goblin is often described by distributors as an Anacropora (e.g. "Green Goblin Anacropora"). It takes a second to see it, but Anacropora is not Acropora. It's a different genus, like Acans, Blastos, Fungia, etc. 

You may appreciate the diversity of corals by visiting the online versoin of J. E. N. Veron's Corals of the World or the Australian Institute of Marine Science's Coral Fact Sheet page. I don't use them often, but keep the pages bookmarked so they're easy to find should I need them.

You can also probably tell the the difference by the mucus that green slimer puts out when it's cut or bothered. That thing is *very* well named.