Coppersafe warning!

wangspeed

There's a an incredibly informative thread over at R2R documenting the fact that recent bottles of Coppersafe are extremely unpredictable. Please do not use it without testing copper levels. Out of this thread, there is another incredible revelation. The Hanna high level copper tester offers repeatable, consistent, and accurate results to test QT levels of copper, including chelated forms. As a result of the Hanna discovery, Hanna is seriously back ordered on this checker.  I've had mine on order for a few weeks now, and I still haven't heard anything, other than it and the reagents are back ordered. The Hanna checker also reveals just how miserably inaccurate common color matching copper tests are.

Fritz hasn't taken any responsibility for the Coppersafe issues, at least not publicly. That combined with the inconsistency in their RPM salt makes me want to discontinue supporting them, but that's just my 2 cents. I still have another box of RPM, but it's not a big deal since I won't have corals yet.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/coppersafe-warning-along-with-research-on-hanna-instruments-high-range-copper-checker.368943/

Warren

• 3 weeks later...

This thing is awesome!

0ab66facf6c227ac8c5bc57b005efd33.jpg

I didn’t do too shabby with a little extrapolation and the Seachem test kit. I thought I was around 1.8, but was actually at 1.94 using Copper Power. I’m also pleased to report that I got a sample of QT water from Reef eScape and they are in therapeutic range as well.

I think I will graduate Bones and Chompers to the big tank this week!

Warren

For chelated copper, like Coppersafe and Copper Power, 1.5-2.5 is therapeutic. For ionic copper products, like Cupramine, it’s .50.

I’ll probably shoot for 1.75 with Copper Power. Easier on the fish.