Reject Water for Freshwater Aquariums?

RW09903

I just moved my reef tank from Bowie to Crofton last weekend. During the process, I made RO water from both locatins to help with the move. Out of curiosity, I evaluated the TDS in and out from both locations. Bowie - 138 ppm, 0 ppm out. Crofton - 40 ppm in, 0 ppm out. Would it be safe to say my reject water in Crofton is still better than straight from the tap water in Bowie?

I've used reject water with 200+ ppm TDS to raise a couple hundred German blue rams (which generally prefer soft water). I think you will be fine using it in a freshwater aquarium unless you are keeping maybe discus or caridina shrimp.

I've used reject water with 200+ ppm TDS to raise a couple hundred German blue rams (which generally prefer soft water). I think you will be fine using it in a freshwater aquarium unless you are keeping maybe discus or caridina shrimp.

Keeping discus and rams...

Keep in mind your reject water will still have undesirables like ammonia.

Would Prime work as declorinator and ammonia reducer?

Keeping discus and rams...

If your reject water is 40 ppm, you'll probably be just fine with discus and rams. You shouldn't need Prime for a dechlorinator since the RO prefilters remove chlorine/chloramine. It's possible for ammonia to be produced as a breakdown product of chloramine, but I didn't use Prime when raising GBR fry and I was doing 50% water changes twice a day so they were exposed to lots of untreated RO waste.