Stick heads, I need your help!

YHSublime

What did you glue them down with?

Generally if the skin is peeling off I say alk.

But pics d ont appear that way.

Another thing to consider....was it a new bag of salt lately?

I'd think of a polypad or run a little carbon or so a water change in case it has to do with the glue, or take a look after lights out...again the distance corals can battle from is crazy

What did you glue them down with?

I didn't. These frags are very healthy, and not fresh cut. This started when I moved them off the rack, onto the rock. 

Generally if the skin is peeling off I say alk.

But pics d ont appear that way.

No skin peeling off, just fading in color, and polyp extension. 

Another thing to consider....was it a new bag of salt lately?

I started this tank on Aqua Forrest, and not a fresh bag. I have a bucket of Reef Crystals in the closet. I've not switched over yet, but the water change this week was going to happen that way....

I'd think of a polypad or run a little carbon or so a water change in case it has to do with the glue, or take a look after lights out...again the distance corals can battle from is crazy

I'll look tonight, but I can't imagine, I think it would sting and not be consistent all over on all corals. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one frustrated by this, I can tell is bothering you!  :laugh:

I meant glue plug to rock (not coral) in case is leaching something that's irritating them

If you wanna borrow an all test let me know just got a new one and am working from home tomorrow.

And yes, I want to still know I can eventually get my tank back to it's glory params

Just to show you all I'm not being silly, here are some better pictures. Here is the frag rack from the top (tonight)

27977439759_0c1ff54907_h.jpg

Here is a better perspective on the rocks, keep in mind these corals were vibrant before going on rock:

27977440579_a3fdafa1b9_h.jpg

38857809385_da9298780d_h.jpg

Oh, that isn't nearly as bad as I'd envisioned; if you're running different bulbs, what is over the side of the tank where the frag rack sits as opposed to the center of the tank where these frags are? It's possible the spectrum received there is more to their liking. Intensity is likely significantly different as well. Have you tried diverting the flow yet? A combination of light and flow is certainly plausible.

Oh, that isn't nearly as bad as I'd envisioned; if you're running different bulbs, what is over the side of the tank where the frag rack sits as opposed to the center of the tank where these frags are? It's possible the spectrum received there is more to their liking. Intensity is likely significantly different as well. Have you tried diverting the flow yet? A combination of light and flow is certainly plausible.

The digita looks like poo still, the top angle isn't so shabby. I have an ATI fixture that covers the length of the tank. I imagine it's possible they would be under a different bulb, at least directly.... there is that. I run coral plus, Fiji purple, and x2 blue plus. Can't remember the order they are in, but the blue plus is on one channel, so definitely possible they are under a different bulb.

No on the flow, well, a little, I have softies I'm trying to keep happy as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If my alk gets to high my digitata does exactly what yours is doing. Just a thought

If my alk gets to high my digitata does exactly what yours is doing. Just a thought

Most guesses are Alk. I'm still confused about how the rack looks great the rock doesn't. I'll be caving and testing today. 

Most guesses are Alk. I'm still confused about how the rack looks great the rock doesn't. I'll be caving and testing today.

All coral will respond differently but the whole rock does make it improbable but still possible

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Seems like the main variable is the direct flow. I’ve had Sps die from too much direct flow. Can you move them to another location? Keep in mind it usually takes a few weeks to see any change in color.

Also, sometimes things just die or dont well from one tank to another.

Seems like the main variable is the direct flow. I’ve had Sps die from too much direct flow. Can you move them to another location? Keep in mind it usually takes a few weeks to see any change in color.

Also, sometimes things just die or dont well from one tank to another.

Hey man! I think direct flow, yet I still haven't done anything to fix it, so guilty. 

Again, the variable is they were all the rack, all doing well. Moved a portion to the rocks, stopped doing as well. Rack still doing well. Rock, not doing well. 

Me 3 months ago: "I'm not doing sticks."

Me now: "Why are my sticks doing bad?!"

Hey man! I think direct flow, yet I still haven't done anything to fix it, so guilty. 

Again, the variable is they were all the rack, all doing well. Moved a portion to the rocks, stopped doing as well. Rack still doing well. Rock, not doing well. 

Me 3 months ago: "I'm not doing sticks."

Me now: "Why are my sticks doing bad?!"

And some very nice sticks at that lol

It really could be the flow issue. But consider nitrate burn also. I can’t remmeber if you stated the level. A few of the corals look dark color which is great but could mean the level is getting too high. Forest fire digi and fox flame are low light SPS corals and may not be suitable if your whole tank is getting blasted. I had to move mine down to the sea floor before they colored up

It really could be the flow issue. But consider nitrate burn also. I can’t remmeber if you stated the level. A few of the corals look dark color which is great but could mean the level is getting too high. Forest fire digi and fox flame are low light SPS corals and may not be suitable if your whole tank is getting blasted. I had to move mine down to the sea floor before they colored up

I'm going to have to adjust a bit here coming up. I have been feeding heavy.

My plan. Water changes. Adjust flow, move low level light SPS down. Hook up additional pulsing flow. Re arrange rockwork with said additional flow.

Maybe that magnet you found rusting away?

staeting to see some color back. Just a tad. Adjusted the flow. I need to redo some rock work and move some corals. Traveling next weekend, will do changes when I'm home again.

Testing the tank would be the first thing I would do :) let us know what the results are. Montipora have bad reactions to low magniesium in my experience. Have you checked the mag? The mag in newly setup tanks can be used up very quickly and take a while to bring the levels back up to normal. Not sure why newer tanks do this but I would check to knock it off the list. I would leave everything where it is, the Digi is all that looks bad. I see one almost dead frag on your rack so it's not confined to just the rock either. If you can keep a torch in the same small tank as an acro and the torch (or any fluffy lps) is happy, it's not too much flow. That's my rule.

• 2 weeks later...

Testing the tank would be the first thing I would do :) let us know what the results are. Montipora have bad reactions to low magniesium in my experience. Have you checked the mag? The mag in newly setup tanks can be used up very quickly and take a while to bring the levels back up to normal. Not sure why newer tanks do this but I would check to knock it off the list. I would leave everything where it is, the Digi is all that looks bad. I see one almost dead frag on your rack so it's not confined to just the rock either. If you can keep a torch in the same small tank as an acro and the torch (or any fluffy lps) is happy, it's not too much flow. That's my rule.

So I'm still sticking to my guns on the testing, but I think there is so much in there right now that could be taking in elements that I am going to start testing. I just need new reagent packs for most of my hannah checkers and then the games begin. I expect I'll find that I'll have to start dosing. Prior tanks I've not had the need to for a very long time, but being supremely smaller this go around, I'm venturing my water changes aren't going to keep up for much longer. 

I am just seeing your response now, but I did just that, and left everything where it is. I came back to report that they are starting to color up again, and I have slightly changed the flow. It's not where I would like it yet. You're right about the rack, that was a Pikachu Acro that I was very excited about, and it's bleached. The digi is still looking pretty bad, but polyps are still out, it's very confusing, but I'm not losing sleep over it. 

I've taken the corals off the rack, and they are all doing the same on the rocks. The only issue is some of them keep getting knocked off, I used epoxy and took them off the frag plugs.  

Not sure what your water change regimen is so it's hard to say but you'll likely be able to get away with just water changes for quite a while. Doubt you'll need consistent dosing for another three months or so.  

Edited by madweazl

Not sure what your water change regimen is so it's hard to say but you'll likely be able to get away with just water changes for quite a while. Doubt you'll need consistent dosing for another three months or so.  

I guess the numbers will show, I'm not keen to start a regiment, so I hope you're right. I change 7 gallons out every week on Sunday, total system water volume is probably 35-40. 

The SPS I do have is small, but I do have some things that I'm sure are consuming some calcium, like 10+ headed golden torch, and an Aussie Elegance. 

Here’s a completely unedited picture I just shot on my phone. The purple slimed is a blue slimer now! Even the digi is bouncing back

cf02e2653baf144259bc19e23e9ba2ad.jpg

Cool! So what is different?

That's a great question, not to many changes at once.

First change I made, is I took the return nozzle and pointed it up. It's mostly surface skimming, bouncing off the front, and that is the only flow I have, but it's no longer direct flow. 

Second change was I took out my sand (but this was only 2 days ago.) 

And then third change was I did a 10 gallon water change instead of a 5 gallon water change last week.