Test Kits

Origami

I'd forgotten that BRS had a good video on test kit selection for the most common that we use in the hobby (alkalinity, calcium and magnesium). In this video,they ask the question, "Are test refill kits actually cheaper?" In the process, they compare tests from Salifert, Hanna, and the Red Sea Pro lines. They speak subjectively to the good, the bad and give you some perspective that might help you judge what kits to use/try.

I've tried most all of these (and more) and have my opinion. I also keep multiple tests for backup and cross-check / verification purposes. But the points made in this video are good and worth putting up against your needs / values. For example, if you're color-blind (we've had members who were), then maybe the extra expense of a digital (e.g. Hanna) test meets needs that the other, titration-type kits don't. Value doesn't have to boil down to cost, but it's almost certainly a factor to all of us.

Anyway, enjoy the video.

I bit the bullet and got the Hanna Ultra low phosphorous (HI736). I'd like it better if 1. it uses liquid reagent, and 2. the standby time is longer, say +5 minutes before turning itself off.

My next step is to get the Hanna for Alkalinity (dkh). I'm using Salifert right now, but don't like the pesky/confusing syringe measurement method.

Those are the only things I check besides salinity.   

One thing I noted from the video; for the Hanna alkalinity test, they used a different bottle to "blank" the meter. I thought we're supposed to use the same bottle for better accuracy.  

One thing I noted from the video; for the Hanna alkalinity test, they used a different bottle to "blank" the meter. I thought we're supposed to use the same bottle for better accuracy.  

Yes. The recommended procedure is not only to use the same bottle for both phases of the test, but to put it into the meter with the same orientation each time. Using the same bottle (or cuvet as Hanna calls it) in the same orientation minimizes errors due to optical imperfections in the glass. Using two bottles like they do introduces the possibility of a very small amount of error. Good catch.

I bit the bullet and got the Hanna Ultra low phosphorous (HI736). I'd like it better if 1. it uses liquid reagent, and 2. the standby time is longer, say +5 minutes before turning itself off.

My next step is to get the Hanna for Alkalinity (dkh). I'm using Salifert right now, but don't like the pesky/confusing syringe measurement method.

Those are the only things I check besides salinity.   

For the Phosphorus ULR tester, it helps to cut two adjacent sides of the foil pack and to open the pack up and crease it in a way that creates a funnel. This will allow you to pour the pre-measured packet of reagent into the vial. When I do a ULR test, I'll normally get it started (after swirling for about 90 seconds) and then start another test. I'll normally have a reading before that other test is too far along. People have long complained about the auto shutoff on the ULR meter as being too short. 

For the Phosphorus ULR tester, it helps to cut two adjacent sides of the foil pack and to open the pack up and crease it in a way that creates a funnel. This will allow you to pour the pre-measured packet of reagent into the vial. When I do a ULR test, I'll normally get it started (after swirling for about 90 seconds) and then start another test. I'll normally have a reading before that other test is too far along. People have long complained about the auto shutoff on the ULR meter as being too short. 

I do that too. Even after lightly tapping on the package, I can still see dusting of reagent/powder attached to the inside of the package. Maybe I can use a tiny stainless steel scrapper to get the last bits out. No big deal.     

I do that too. Even after lightly tapping on the package, I can still see dusting of reagent/powder attached to the inside of the package. Maybe I can use a tiny stainless steel scrapper to get the last bits out. No big deal.     

A little dust left behind is normal and is probably accounted for. After opening it, flex the packet a few times to make sure that any reagent that may be packed down is loosened. Then tap it on the side of the vial a few times as you empty it in. The P ULR test is pretty decent. I was probably the first one to have one here in the club from Hanna, after having talked some to one of the chemists there. If I've not pointed you to it before now, head over to this link and download the Phosporus ULR table there. It fits in the lid of the plastic box they give you and allows you to easily convert HI736's ppb of Phosphorus output to ppm of PO4 (phosphate).

For the ULR phosphate, did you know that if you press and hold the button after the baseline measurement that it will give you a countdown timer to the second measurement so you know when you have to have the vial in there?  

When I use it (not often) I do the trick Tom mentioned of cutting two adjacent sides and folding it into a little slide, then I do the first measurement, then I pull the vial out and do all of the powder dump and the initial shaking before pressing and holding that button.  That seems to reset the battery timeout and gives me a full 2 minutes to get the powder dissolved and all of the air bubbles off the sides of the vial before I have to get it in the meter for the second measurement.

For the ULR phosphate, did you know that if you press and hold the button after the baseline measurement that it will give you a countdown timer to the second measurement so you know when you have to have the vial in there?  

When I use it (not often) I do the trick Tom mentioned of cutting two adjacent sides and folding it into a little slide, then I do the first measurement, then I pull the vial out and do all of the powder dump and the initial shaking before pressing and holding that button.  That seems to reset the battery timeout and gives me a full 2 minutes to get the powder dissolved and all of the air bubbles off the sides of the vial before I have to get it in the meter for the second measurement.

Interesting. I didn't know this. I just set my iphone for 3 minutes (for mixing and adding reagent). 

So you're saying if you press and hold the button after the first measurement (blanking), you'll get a 2:00 minutes countdown? Then, you put the tube (with reagent) back in and push and hold the button again for the 3:00 minutes countdown (incubation period)? 

Interesting. I didn't know this. I just set my iphone for 3 minutes (for mixing and adding reagent). 

So you're saying if you press and hold the button after the first measurement (blanking), you'll get a 2:00 minutes countdown? Then, you put the tube (with reagent) back in and push and hold the button again for the 3:00 minutes countdown (incubation period)? 

You didn't know about the built in timer? Yes, just press and hold the button in and it initiate's a 2-minute countdown. That's why I swirl it for 90 seconds. That normallly dissolves the powder, then I put it back in the checker for the last 30 seconds. After that, the reading is taken and you'll get your measurement. The unit stays on for another few minutes after that before turning off. I thought that's the timeout that you were referring to. Anyway, try it. I think that you'll find the built in timer handy.

You didn't know about the built in timer? Yes, just press and hold the button in and it initiate's a 2-minute countdown. That's why I swirl it for 90 seconds. That normallly dissolves the powder, then I put it back in the checker for the last 30 seconds. After that, the reading is taken and you'll get your measurement. The unit stays on for another few minutes after that before turning off. I thought that's the timeout that you were referring to. Anyway, try it. I think that you'll find the built in timer handy.

Mine doesnt have any two minute timer. If you press and hold the button it starts a three minute timer regardless of what step you're on. 

Mine doesnt have any two minute timer. If you press and hold the button it starts a three minute timer regardless of what step you're on. 

Mine is the same way. Per instruction, I insert the well mixed bottle, then press and hold for the 3 minutes countdown to start. 

Or maybe Tom is saying that we can press and hold for the three minutes count down to start, put the reagent in the bottle and mix for 90-120 seconds, then (before the 3 minutes runs out) insert the bottle and close the lid for the measurement to occur???? 

Mine is the same way. Per instruction, I insert the well mixed bottle, then press and hold for the 3 minutes countdown to start. 

Or maybe Tom is saying that we can press and hold for the three minutes count down to start, put the reagent in the bottle and mix for 90-120 seconds, then (before the 3 minutes runs out) insert the bottle and close the lid for the measurement to occur???? 

Yes, the timer works at any stage in the test process but it's three minutes vs two minutes (for my checker at least). 

I always thought that the meter needed a full 3 minutes for measurement. That's why they tell you to insert the well mixed bottle, before pressing and holding the button to start the timer. 

I'll double check on my next WC to see if the results are comparable.

Thank you for the tips.

Mine's probably 3 minutes. I wasn't holding it when I said two.... The point is, there's a countdown timer built in that some users are unaware of.

I throw away the syringe tips on the Salifert kits and have been using them like that for years. I get reliable results that can be corroborated by professional water tests.

I throw away the syringe tips on the Salifert kits and have been using them like that for years. I get reliable results that can be corroborated by professional water tests.

You may get repeatable results but the drops are much larger and thus, considerably less accurate as well. For something like calcium or magniesium where a larger delta makes little difference, the loss of accuracy isnt a big deal but with alkalinity, this could be responsible for a larger delta. Unlikely that it could be responsible for harming something but certainly couldnt be considered accurate. Why did you stop using the tips? 

Edited by madweazl

Drop size may change, but total amount dispensed is only slightly less- maybe an extra drop or 2 if you used the whole syringe.

It's not rocket science or medical procedures- it's coral, the weeds of the sea....