Reseal Tank

pilla

Hi All - I am new to the forum but not to the hobby. Had freshwater planted discus tanks for the last 10 years.

Currently I have a planted 120 Gallon tank which I am planning on resealing. It's in use and not leaking. The silicone looks black and it feels like it's time for a reseal.

Never resealed any tanks. Have seen YouTube videos which appears to be fairly straightforward. But with that size I am not confident to do it by myself. I would rather let somebody who has done it before do this.

Do you guys know anybody that does reseal as a business or on the side?

I am in Ashburn, VA close to Dulles airport.

Thanks

Pilla

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The amount that I'd charge to reseal a tank is about the amount that a new one costs. If the tank were an unusual size or irreplaceable, then I'd consider a reseal, otherwise, just buy a new one.

The amount that I'd charge to reseal a tank is about the amount that a new one costs. If the tank were an unusual size or irreplaceable, then I'd consider a reseal, otherwise, just buy a new one.

Thanks.

Checked online and the tanks are in the $600 range. Can I find them cheaper anywhere else?

Is that how much you would charge to reseal?

On a tank that size, you would have to have someone with experience doing it. It isn't really difficult to do, but if there is a mistake, it could cause a flood.

If you are just talking about replacing visible silicone (not taking apart the tank and sealing it back together), there are other people here who know how to do it... maybe one of them is willing to help if you sign a waiver freeing them from responsibility if something goes wrong.

Is it just the appearance that makes you want to re-seal it, or are you really concerned about the tank developing a leak?

On a tank that size, you would have to have someone with experience doing it. It isn't really difficult to do, but if there is a mistake, it could cause a flood.

If you are just talking about replacing visible silicone (not taking apart the tank and sealing it back together), there are other people here who know how to do it... maybe one of them is willing to help if you sign a waiver freeing them from responsibility if something goes wrong.

Is it just the appearance that makes you want to re-seal it, or are you really concerned about the tank developing a leak?

It's purely for appearance purposes.

The silicone looks black and I figured it's time to scrape it and put new silicone.

If someone can help that'll be awesome. Would pay for their time as well.

I'll sign waivers if needed.

Is it supposed to be black, or is it just dirt? I kind of like the black better than the clear. I don't know if a tank being just superficially sealed would look ok if switched to black, so I probably shouldn't suggest it.

It's supposed to be clear. The front left and right side silicone is warping and looks ugly.

My assumption from reading TPT forums is when the silicone warps it's time to scrap and reseal the silicone.

I am doing a complete rescape and changing the substrate from pool sand to ADA. I thought it's a good time to take care of the silicone.

See attached pic of the corner which looks black (most probably algae) and looked warped

https://ibb.co/dDE0nw

I see nothing wrong with that silicone. The seal is intact and its just the inside edge that is darkened. Worry about some other aspect of your set up and leave this issue alone unless its leaking. then you'll buy a new tank.

The important part of the silicone is the one between the glass panels. It looks good from the picture, and you stated it doesn't leak. If the coloration of the excess silicone bothers you then I would remove just the small dark pieces with a new razor blade. Take care not to cut into the seam or scratch the glass. Now's the time to do it as it will always bother you IME. I would also consider other factors like if you can/want to drill the tank for a sump.

Our Marineland tank was siliconed in a similar fashion and it has always bugged me but they stated the warranty would be voided if it were removed. I don't know what the value of the excess silicone is but against my better judgment, I left it and now it drives me nuts LOL. I should have just cut it out while it was empty.