==> ANNUAL MEETING NOTICE: <<==
Door Prize: Ecotech Marine MP40 QD to one lucky attendee!
WAMAS Winter 2018 Meeting - Joyce Kilmer Middle School - January 27, 2018 (Saturday)
The Winter Meeting of The Washington Area Marine Aquarist Society (WAMAS) will be on Saturday, January 27, 2018, 1:00-5:00 p.m. at Joyce Kilmer Middle School, 8100 Wolftrap Road, Vienna, VA 22182. IN LECTURE HALL G101.
Planning for Hurricanes and Other Natural Disasters That Can Snuff Out Your Reef.
My Recent Failure and My New Approach
Abstract: You've thought about it. You've maybe even bought a generator, battery back ups, battery operated pumps. You'll never have to use them, but you're ready, right? When the "big one" comes will you stay home? Evacuate? Have you thought about all the things that could happen if you can't get back home for a day? 2 days? more? If the power is out for a few days? a week? 2 weeks? If there's no gas available? I've lived through about half a dozen Hurricanes so far and have seen my share of success and failure in the preparedness camp. This lecture covers a range of things you can do to protect your reef tank during extended power outages at any time of year, and what I'm doing now that I failed big time in Hurricane Irma. Not meant to be a downer, this lecture is intended to inspire thoughtful planning to avoid losing the ecosystem you've given so much time and love to.
Julian Sprung was born in 1966 in Miami Beach, Florida and is a graduate of the University of Florida, with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Zoology. Julian has been keeping marine aquariums for more than 40 years. He is an author, photographer, aquarium design consultant, and is president of the aquarium industry manufacturing and publishing company Two Little Fishies, Inc., which he co-founded 27 years ago.
Julian's books include The Reef Aquarium, volumes One, Two and Three, which he co-authored with J. Charles Delbeek, Corals: A Quick Reference Guide, Invertebrates: A Quick Reference Guide, and Algae: A Problem Solver Guide.
==>> WAMAS Elections <<==
This is also our annual meeting. The offices of President, Treasurer and Membership Director will be filled at this meeting (two year terms).
Stay tuned for nominations and election process updates.
1:00 PM Sign-in / socialize
2:40 PM Club business (including elections for Vice President and Secretary)
3:00 PM Speaker: Julian Sprung
4:30 PM Raffle!
4:50 PM Door Prize Drawing (right after the raffle)
5:00 PM Adjourn & Clean Up
- food & drinks provided
- 1-year subscription to Coral Magazine - From Reef to Rainforest Media
- 2 liter jug of Brightwell Alkalin8.3 alkalinity supplement ($25 value. Two chances to win!) - From Capital Aquarium
- 2 liter jug of Brightwell Potassion potassium supplement ($38 value. Three chances to win!) - From Capital Aquarium
- One Typhoon III Extreme RO/DI from Air, Water & Ice. A $280 value!
- 200 gallon box of Instant Ocean salt from Exotic Reef Creations (2 chances to win!)
- Cobalt Aquatics package of a 16-ounce bucket of Marine Omni flake food and TWO 0.7 ounce jars of Coral Food, a $62 value (2 chances to win!)
- SaltwaterAquarium.com: Auqa Gadget Reef Rack 50 (frag rack, $50 value)
- 1-year supply (12 packs) of Chemipure Blue Nano (a $30 value) donated by Boyd Enterprises/Chemipure
- $50 Gift Certificate from Avast Marine (3 chances to win!)
- 5 gallon Jellyfish Art "Jelly Cylinder 5" kit! ($550 value)
- Frags from Dr. Mac's Pacific East Aquaculture ($25 value each, 5 chances to win!)
- $25 gift certificate to Premium Aquatics (5 chances to win!)
- $200 gift certificate for custom PVC sump at Pure Reef Systems.
- Mixed frag pack with 15 corals from FishnReef.com ($210 value)
- 1 copy of Julian's book: Invertebrates: A Quick Reference Guide donated by Two Little Fishies (A $26 value)
- 1 copy of Julian's book: Algae: A Problem Solver Guide donated by Two Little Fishies (a $17 value)
- 5 pounds of STAX Rock donated by Two Little Fishies( a $30 value)
- 50 gallon box of AccuraSea1 salt mix donated by Two Little Fishies (a $50 value)
- 200 gallon box of AccuraSea1 salt mix donated by Two Little Fishies (a $110 value)
- 750W PowerVerter APS byTrippLite donated by BRK (a $400 value)
- $25 gift certificate to Blue Ribbon Koi and Marine (doubled to $50 if the winner is a new customer) (two chances to win!)
- $25 gift certificate to VelasCorals (five chances to win!)
- Pack of LRS Reef Frenzy Original premium frozen food and a cooler bag ($25+ value, 7 lucky winners!)
- Pack of LRS Reef Frenzy Nano premium frozen food and a cooler bag ($25+ value, 4 lucky winners!)
- A 4-6 polyp frag of Captain Jerks Zoanthids ($60 value) from Supreme Reefs (for pickup from the Springfield store)
- A small colony of green hairy rhodactis ($120 value) from Supreme Reefs (for pickup from the Springfield store)
- More to be announced
Please come back to this thread for meeting updates (including raffle prize updates).
Special thanks to theses sponsors. Please support them & say thanks next time you shop with them. You can find their website address by visiting their forum or the sponsor page on the WAMAS website.
WAMAS Platinum Sponsors
- Air, Water & Ice
- Avast Marine
- Blue Ribbon Koi
- Capital Aquarium
- Dr. Mac's Pacific East Aquaculture
- Exotic Reef Creations
- LRS Reef Frenzy
- Marine Depot
- Pimped Out Aquariums
- Premium Aquatics
- Pure Reef Systems
- Reed Mariculture (Reef Nutrition)
- Reef eScape
- Supreme Reefs
WAMAS Banner-Only Sponsors
- Cobalt Aquatics
- Industrial Test Systems (makers of the Exact iDip 570 Smart Photometer System)
- Jellyfish Art
- Live Aquaria
- Two Little Fishies
Dr. Mac's Pacific East Aquaculture
More to be announced
Members selling on site:
(Mr. Chalice) Walter
Watch this space for more information to be made available as it arrives!