Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

Those LED lights just make it look so bright and clean! Beautiful set-up!

Thank you! It’s still such a drastic work in progress. I’m constantly surprised at the fact it’s only 22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you get the frag racks off

0779f715965fdef8bf73c6b3c41bf6bd.jpg

dee8424c8841e46a255ad0bb2a4cd0a8.jpg

Well. It's finally happening. Today I'm going to program the Bubble Magus. Hopes to keep dKH around 8-9 range. I've been traveling, or working, so it will drop about 2-3 points over the course of 4-5 days and then I'll slowly dose by hand back up. I can't imagine all the instability is doing the tank any benefits, so it will be nice to see what I hope will be results. I have already noticed some faster encrusting, as well, especially on things like my sunset milli that has now just started, about 8 months later. 

On the other hand, if the growth picks up, I'm screwed, the wild SPS I have are growing like weeds, and things will have nowhere to go but into each other. I'll have to task myself with what goes and what stays, or perfect placement. For now the LPS seem fine, but I can see how sacrifices might have to be made in the future. 

Last night, I was looking at my tank with a flashlight after the lights went out. There is an amazing amount of pods in this little tank. I mean, it's really out of control. If you stare at the glass bottom during the day, you'll notice the entire floor is moving, all pods. But, the biggest shock, was after lights out, there are some giant pods that are scurrying around. Some of them are so big I'm surprised they haven't mugged my clownfish yet. There's a lot cool details if you pay attention! 

• 3 weeks later...

Really nice.  Doing much better than my big tank. I got some changes to make over here.

Is the light doing anything weird to your growth or algae or colors, etc?  It was kind of a big change, but I haven't seen much about adjustment you had to make.

Really nice.  Doing much better than my big tank. I got some changes to make over here.

Is the light doing anything weird to your growth or algae or colors, etc?  It was kind of a big change, but I haven't seen much about adjustment you had to make.

Thanks! Although the smallest of my tanks, it's been one of my favorites. 

It was a huge change, but I made a bunch of adjustments all at once. Here's the changes I made:

- The light was swapped to the LED's

- I started dosing at the same time, at first by hand, and now by a Bubble Magus.

- I added a Kessil to the sump.

- I added a frag tank to the sump.

- I added filter socks.

Results of changes:

- My softies and lps are not growing as fast. I'm still keeping it around the 2000 channel tops, I don't know if I could stand to go higher. 

- My colors faded a bit with some SPS, but not all. Things that were super blue are now purple, the yellows and greens slightly muted, but not with all the SPS, so I think they are still adjusting to my system. 

- I went from having algae issues in the DT to keeping most of it contained in my sump. I think the addition of the kessil was what did this. Honestly, I should start throwing in some cheato now, which I've never been able to grow before. The frag section is just a rack above the bottom, of the middle section of the sump, and things are growing really nice down there, minimal flow, high light, zoanthids are loving it. 

- These are more porous filter socks, not the felt ones, and they are far superior and easier to clean. Currently they are housing hundreds of collumnbelid snails that are self reproducing in my tank just everywhere. 

The biggest change in the DT was my glass used to get covered in alage in a few days, and now it has drastically cut back. This could be the light in the sump, it could be my tank maturing, or it could be that I went from being overloaded bio wise to only 2 clown fish. 

Other changes: My SPS is growing faster, and encrusting faster. Could be the dosing. Like I mentioned, lots of changes, mostly for the better!

Some SPS shots, right after feeding, hence the closed up polyps. Definitely can get better shots from the top vs the sides. 

WD - looking boring:

44774099721_e27c59c0d8_h.jpg

Pink Cadillac right side. Some milli top center, and then center green tennius.

42963311780_cff9c31ba8_h.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I see it everyday, so I don't notice. But things are growing. Fast. Realized my doser wasn't dosing. Have replacement heads on the way. All testing for naught, so I'm just throwing in 5oz of each ESV part a day. I'll stop that, take numbers and test for a day or two, and then hook doser up again. Added some more ricordea from my "frag tank" sump, didn't do any cleaning up for photos. As you can see, the GSP needs trimming. 

43273982610_94690ceb86_h.jpg

43273982280_d4fa6a3e60_h.jpg

It's been a while since I did a water change. Now that I'm taking notes on everything, it's a lot easier to remember when. It feels like since August, but my last water change was on 9/15. When I do them, I usually mix up in a 5 gallon bucket, or a 7 gallon bucket, 5 gallons are always easier because it is easier to measure 5 gallons of salt.

Something I also got because I was concerned about my salinity was a Milwaukee digital refractometer. If only all measurements were as easy as using this bad boy! Since I bought it used, I calibrated with RO/DI and changed the battery, and it's probably one of my favorite investments thus far.

So on account of my doser not dosing, no water changes for almost a month, and a lot of neglect, I opted to do a water change this morning. I always stare at the tank, but sometimes you notice more when you cut off the flow and really get in there to siphon out stuff and do a thorough examination. The WD that was pictured back on 9/18 has encrusted even further, and there are two large nubs breaking out from the encrusting part. I also turned up the lighting intensity, so I'm starting to pull some of those blues that you see in the photochopped versions. It's a really pretty acro, but I definitely have others that I like way more. Another observation I made is that the Strawberry Shortcake, also pictured, has encrusted a lot further as well. I'm really happy with the colors I'm getting from some of these old school acros that I used to struggle with. Pink Lemonade is doing really well, all the millies are stretching. My sunset Millie is in the perfect location, but it took almost a year to get happy.

64dc12af5e1bb2d62413fd71d399f710.jpg

I have a lot of hermits in this tank. I never worry much about algae. This tank has seen some bouts of it, but now I get a few patches of hair algae, and those are easy enough to siphon out or pull out. I'm debating making the change to an all snail tank? Has anybody every done this before, any downside? The hermits are always doing work. I put my hand in today with the hose, and the hermits came up and started cleaning my hand, they also constantly agitate all the zoanthids, but hey, that's the way it is in the ocean!

Here's old pictures of the WD and the Strawberry Shortcake!

Some SPS shots, right after feeding, hence the closed up polyps. Definitely can get better shots from the top vs the sides.

WD - looking boring:

44774099721_e27c59c0d8_h.jpg

beautiful nano! what do you do for phosphate removal?

Thank you! Water changes are what I use. I use the KISS method. Water changes, heavy skimming, and I dose 2 part ESV. That’s it!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking great!! You got one of most beautiful anemones I've seen...  I still have the one I bought from you!

Thanks for the kind words. The anemones really take a back burner, they are easy to keep happy. It's the sticks now that I've been working for, and that wasn't my intention when I set this tank up... but here we are!

This is the WD, which is stinging the setosa as it encrusts. I'm not worried about it, as the setosa is very hardy, and would probably grow in my kitchen sink if I left a piece there. What I am happy about, and the picture doesn't show it as well as what's actually happening, is there are 2 more nubs coming out of the WD from the encrusting section. They are already growing faster than the branch it started from. 

30356383017_2b12e22b46_h.jpg

Here are a couple of millies, and my Fox Flame. The FF is my second, the first died, and this one has gotten the green tips, lost them, gotten them, but it's growing, so I won't worry too much about it. The millies have encrusted super fast, and there are significant growth tips on them.

30356383837_b95c44aff6_h.jpg

Here's a FTS just before I trimmed my GSP back:

43273982280_d4fa6a3e60_h.jpg

Looking good man. Looks like your WD is starting to color up as well as branch out. 

Thanks! Yeah, it's getting some of those lighter blues in the new growth, I've been hitting it with higher par, everything else doesn't seem to mind much either. 

Thanks! Yeah, it's getting some of those lighter blues in the new growth, I've been hitting it with higher par, everything else doesn't seem to mind much either. 

I've been doing the same on my tank. Slowly raising the PAR. Seems to help. lol

9ab5df05787666a6b2a025cee49b4bb2.jpg

Came home to find my emerald crab, Hercules, d-e-d, dead. I’ve had him since almost the start, all other inverts are fine. He was a giant, and I tried to catch him all the time, because he was like a bull in a china shop. Looks like I finally gotcha, big guy, RIP Big Herc.

Noticed that you went hybrid? LED and T5? 

Full LED. You can read about it here, or post #225 in my build. 

I had to leave the meet today to go shoot some photos. Boy was I disapointed to find what I thought was gold was all blurry! I have about 500 pictures and they are mostly garbage. 

31586647588_e762b656d3_h.jpg[

30521411967_daff035963_h.jpg

I was convinced I forgot how to shoot, or at least my camera settings. I just picked up a new lens and wanted to see what I could cook up. Took some real quick shots of the tank tonight before the lights went out:

30521421817_3545b4c53b_h.jpg

44547483085_e1a47063e4_h.jpg

30521420417_a8a09a5ce0_h.jpg

44547478145_e661fd7f57_h.jpg

Don't mind the dying acro, it's the only one that's having trouble, I think it's because the rics swell over it almost every day, I just noticed while shooting. 

30521423117_07ee4db0a3_h.jpg

I'd like to see if I can do some more closeup's, but another time, not tonight.