Scientific Proof for running carbon?

sen5241b

Had a tank full of murky green water and ran carbon. 24 hours later water was clear. We know it takes bad stuff out of the water (algae, heavy metals, particles of crud, etc.). But how much good does it do? And I've heard its actually bad for a dirty-water loving corals tank.

Not sure what you're asking. Activated carbon has microscopic pores (fractures) that attract and hold certain types (mostly non-polar) molecules, or molecules what have non-polar parts. Macro-filtering of algae, particles,etc.is not occurring at the microscopic level. Because some compounds can be broken down by biological processes, this uptake denies those organisms of the potentially usable nutrients. Activated carbon is also used in medicine as a first aid measure to adsorb (not absorb) ingested poisons.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm asking has anyone done a chemical analysis before/after with carbon. Did water quality improve substantially? I know this question has been asked many times and many people accept carbon as useful but considering all the myths and nonsense in this hobby its worth asking. 

I'm asking has anyone done a chemical analysis before/after with carbon. Did water quality improve substantially? I know this question has been asked many times and many people accept carbon as useful but considering all the myths and nonsense in this hobby its worth asking.

Interesting. But, considering that activated carbon has been used in other water purification and treatment applications long before use in aquariums (both fresh and salt alike), it's unlikely to fit into a category of myths and nonsense. I'd look to papers in the scientific literature specifically relating to water treatment if you wanted to go to the broadest base of technical / scientific literature. 

However, here are some other (not peer-reviewed journal) articles that you may find interesting and worthwhile. Some of them use a fairly rigorous experimental process to address some of what you're probably looking for and the first series has a pretty extensive bibliography that you could dig into as well:

Modeling of Operational Parameters for Dissolved Organic Carbon Removal from Marine Aquaria, Part 1 (Advanced Aquarist, January 2008)

Modeling of Operational Parameters for Dissolved Organic Carbon Removal from Marine Aquaria, Part 2 (Advanced Aquarist, February 2008)

Organic Compounds in the Reef Aquarium (Reef Alchemy with Randy Holmes-Farley, October 2004)

Interesting. But, considering that activated carbon has been used in other water purification and treatment applications long before use in aquariums (both fresh and salt alike), it's unlikely to fit into a category of myths and nonsense. I'd look to papers in the scientific literature specifically relating to water treatment if you wanted to go to the broadest base of technical / scientific literature. 

However, here are some other (not peer-reviewed journal) articles that you may find interesting and worthwhile. Some of them use a fairly rigorous experimental process to address some of what you're probably looking for and the first series has a pretty extensive bibliography that you could dig into as well:

Modeling of Operational Parameters for Dissolved Organic Carbon Removal from Marine Aquaria, Part 1 (Advanced Aquarist, January 2008)

Modeling of Operational Parameters for Dissolved Organic Carbon Removal from Marine Aquaria, Part 2 (Advanced Aquarist, February 2008)

Organic Compounds in the Reef Aquarium (Reef Alchemy with Randy Holmes-Farley, October 2004)

Excellent info. 

If you are running a canister filter or  reactor I would guess 2 weeks to a month. Depends how dirty the water is. The carbon is exhausted when it  has absorbed a certain amount of waste. I have heard that it continues to remove trace elements after it is exhausted but I don't have a way to confirm that. I believe you will remove the toxic material that corals produced when they fight another coral. That's my opinion.

It will also clear the water so light should penetrate further and brighter. the change in light penetration could stress some corals. 

I took my carbon out a week ago and now I have a slime slick on the surface.

...then put it back online....

I took my carbon out a week ago and now I have a slime slick on the surface.

Are you surface skimming the tank? Do you have a sump with a skimmer? Normally, when organics collect on the surface, it's because of inadequate surface skimming or poor agitation of the surface.