Easy Pico Tank

Hey guys just got a 3 gallon CPR pico-c tank used. Filling it with water today. Buying live rock from house of tropicals on Wednesday. A week or two after that I'll be adding ~6 pederson shrimp or other nano shrimp. No fish. Probably will go gsp bottom becuas eits clear. Only softys.

Anyone got any cool alternative ideas for this little tank? Zoa bottom?

Do pederson shrimp have a bad mortality rate?

Does anyone know what this weird filter media is supposed to do?(a bunch of blue plastic ribbons)

Thanks! 660d08499b8633b9b06c40552ff99bda.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's my question, plan for corals? Looks a lot like the center structure in my old 150.

That's my question, plan for corals? Looks a lot like the center structure in my old 150.

Yeah kind of. I'm not putting anything except softys in though. I was thinking zoas along the horizontal branches, gps/zoas/ricordea on the bottom, ricordias on the horizontal branches, a toadstool leather towards the black panel, and then green tree leather among the vertical top branches. We'll see how it works lol.

I've always wanted to get a tank like that and just do some nice mushrooms for the whole thing.

I've always wanted to get a tank like that and just do some nice mushrooms for the whole thing.

I'm considering some nice st Thomas mushrooms for the bottom. Though many he I should stick to things that don't cover ground fast/ take up too much room with a single piece.

What do you guys think of chaeto to fill the back panel? With a little mesh to give the pump some room. I'd use the magnetic LED refugium light.

I don't think you'll have to worry about nutrient export, most of that will be done with water changes. Let it cycle, and just remember the K.I.S.S method.

I don't think you'll have to worry about nutrient export, most of that will be done with water changes. Let it cycle, and just remember the K.I.S.S method.

What is the kiss method? And honestly idk what to do with the back section exactly lol. If there's chaeto there it feels useful. Any suggestions?

Also, would having brine shrimp in this tank give any benefits? House of tropicals is where I got the LR and the bins of rock were FULL of swimming brine shrimp. Super cool to look at. Will be back there today bc I dropped my Fitbit there. Considering asking for a bag of them just because they are so coveted as a food.

What is the kiss method? And honestly idk what to do with the back section exactly lol. If there's chaeto there it feels useful. Any suggestions?

Keep It Stupid Simple.

On my old Fluval Edge I ran sponges, ceramic media, and every now and then a small bag of carbon. I had 5 anemones in that tank at one stage.

Keep It Stupid Simple.

On my old Fluval Edge I ran sponges, ceramic media, and every now and then a small bag of carbon. I had 5 anemones in that tank at one stage.

Ah but then I won't be able to turn everything into a complicated mess?!??

Oh yeah I meant to order marine pure. That's probably what'll go back there along with a little filter floss and some carbon sounds good for a softy only tank.

• 2 weeks later...

a47697e4bcaebd14ca16db2d8313e98d.jpg6622708fa5ce459d52c4e034ae598d16.jpg75237282b91e1ade3f73602b3b1ad41e.jpg789ae8a4bfd5618dd58f9a6f632a5880.jpg0404635a5f095dc852ddd6c3728e71ae.jpg

First corals added. GSP for the floor, a ricordea from HOT, vargus xenia, a small green leather(not open yet), and small pink toadstool(not open yet). I'll post more pics after they open up. I'm finding it very difficult to place these guys. It's like working on a ship in a bottle. Plan to add a neon green sinularia, neon green toadstool, and if I can get them off the rocks in my other tank, a red mushroom, green mushroom, and another ricordea.

Does anyone have a good light recommendation? I'm looking to get some amazing fluorescent color. I love the nanobox tide mini but it's just so pricey... there's also the new eheim light but it comes with no timer and isn't nearly as fancy as I'd like it to be... but it is only $80.

Ai Prime?

As for pederson cleaner shrimp, the hard part is just getting them. They don't come in very often. Mine has been a little trooper and no issues thus far.

So the prime has iffy reviews. As for the shrimp I'll either order them online or ask today's pet to order them in. Think I might just go with the eheim light on a timer. Idk

For what you plan to keep the current USA might be a good light for it. I'm not sure wether or not to too wide though

For what you plan to keep the current USA might be a good light for it. I'm not sure wether or not to too wide though

The smallest I've seen those go is 18". I'll have to check and see if that how but mine is. Maybe.

So far I've just been using the included tiny t5. Will probably go with eheim and a timer.

Some things I may or may not plan on doing:

Gluing and epoxying all the rock together so it doesn't touch the glass and can be picked up and moves as one piece.-maybe

Adding 6-10 pederson shrimp from mysaltwaterfishstore.com-soon

Adding plating sponge? -maybe