Tank crash...so depressed right now

gioNVA

I don't know where to begin.  So many SPS and some of my breeding clownfish are dead.  I was out of town over the weekend and spent the day in a location without any mobile phone signal.  Apparently, power went out a whole bunch of times last night.  It came back on but somehow both my GFCIs tripped.  I normally keep my powerheads on separate circuits for redundancy but this time everything was off.  I also had a small tunze powerhead on a non gfci circuit and that one failed too.  The impeller locked up and didn't spin until I forced the propeller to turn.  The multiple times we lost power probably had something to do with it.   The tank probably had no circulation for at least 16 hours.  Tank temp was at 74 degrees from 80 degrees and lack of oxygen is most likely the culprit.  By the time my son was able to reach me, he said the tank was so cloudy that he couldn't see anything.  A lot of acros and other stuff I've collected for about 15 years are gone.  I had the following lost livestock that I can think of right now:

breeding pair of onyx clownfish

breeding pair of black ice clownfish

pair of frostbite subzero clownfish

10 of the nicest helmet picasso clownfish that I kept from breeding 

some blennies 

tons of sps 

wd tenuis

some other maricultured tenuis that were really coloring up nicely

upscales microlados

pink lemonade

stevem blue table

tons of milleporas (rainbow, bubblegum, sunset, palmers, etc)

procoral rainbow

procoral superman

reef raft stuff

oregon tort

lots of ORA corals

a lot more stuff that I can't think of right now

orange rainbow scoly

master scoly

some rainbow anemones 

too many to list and too much money, time, and effort lost.

My picasso breeding pairs are on a different breeding system and a dedicated circuit so they are not affected.  I will probably focus on those for now and get out of the coral hobby.  The good thing is that I've given away a lot of corals and sold some for a very good price.  If I can find the time to restart, I'm hoping I will be able to get back some of the corals in the future.  

Sorry for the lost. I've been through it before and know exactly how you feel. The worst part for me was that all the collection stuffs were gone and could never be found again,

Sorry bro what happened to my clown? Are they live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Francis. I'm terribly sorry. I know how you feel after having been through it myself - that pit in your stomach. It just sucks the life from you.

Clean it up and take it slow. Let me know if I can help somehow. 

Thank you for the support and encouragement.  I was only able to do a 10 gallon change (total volume of system is probably about 80g.  This allowed me to somewhat see what's in the tank.  Not much alive except for a few zoanthids and the montiporas are ok.  All acros are gone.   I will do another 25g change later on.  Running carbon now so hopefully things will get better.  

Sorry bro what happened to my clown? Are they live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lost one and the other is doing well. 

Just didn't have enough salt water on hand? Can some members bring you some salt water so you can do a change earlier?

(edited)

Tom, yeah I had 10g premixed but was just so tired from the trip. Then I was rushing to get to work this morning. I should have enough to get a 60g change but was thinking smaller changes. Do you suggest bigger water changes?

Edited by gioNVA

In your situation, I'd consider up to a single 75% water change. That's the same as two 50% water changes.

Can you move any of your surviving corals over to smaller tanks with new water?

Skim wet to pull out as much garbage as you can. 

Monitor for ammonia and have something like Amquel ready to go.

Have amquel already and can move existing corals to a running nano tank.  I did set the skimmer to skim wet.  I am going to get a large water change done tonight.  Thanks!

Good luck. I feel bad for your situation. At least you're moving out on it. After it happened to me (different circumstances), that was the first step: Getting motivated enough to act on what was just emotionally overwhelming.

Francis - so sorry to hear this.  You are welcome to any frags you want from my system, I will give you rainbow nem too.  Text me when your tank is ready.

-Rik

Jeez Francis, just saw this. So sorry. I have very little to offer coral wise but I would be glad to get my arms wet, stealing frags out of Craigs tank, or someone elses!.

Get stable, the club will step up when you're ready.

Thanks guys!  I did a large water change last night.  Water is pretty clear today.  Spoke to my neighbors and they said that the power went out a few times in the neighborhood and at times it was flickering on/off.  Will probably take the time now to change out the sand and rebuild.  A few have reached out as far as restocking corals so thank you very much for the offers.  Hoping to get rebuilding started so I can restock soon.