Algae identification?

993a13685dc96b5d4bbfcd36fe060cf0.jpg

I've been plagued by this algae since I started 7 months ago. It's a film that is easily blown off the rocks. Even when Nitrate is zero it is still there. I had dosed NOPOX for a month and it's still there. As far as i can tell with my test kit, phosphate does not register but it's a nutrafin kit. I turned my lights off for 4 days and it diminished but then came right back. I have regularly siphoned the stuff off the rocks and when I'm done I have a ball of goo. Anyone know what this is and what I should do??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any idea on how to combat it? I have had red cyano but all of it went away with NOPOX dosing, Siphon, and water changes.

There are lots of ways to *try* to combat cyano that have been documented. Some try chemicals like chemiclean or red slime remover. Siphoning it out over an over until it doesn't come back is another option. Using macroalgae to compete with it is another option. Carbon dosing. Hydrogen peroxide dosing. Sometimes GAC (activated carbon) can help if it's being fueled by dissolved organics that aren't easily removed by your skimmer. Phosphate removers. So many ways - because it drives people nuts. 

does look like green cyano. Test for phosphates and report back please!

Any reliable brands that you'd recommend?

More Flow in the area?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Some of it is in direct flow but also somehow is easily removed when using a turkey baster..

There are lots of ways to *try* to combat cyano that have been documented. Some try chemicals like chemiclean or red slime remover. Siphoning it out over an over until it doesn't come back is another option. Using macroalgae to compete with it is another option. Carbon dosing. Hydrogen peroxide dosing. Sometimes GAC (activated carbon) can help if it's being fueled by dissolved organics that aren't easily removed by your skimmer. Phosphate removers. So many ways - because it drives people nuts.

I have tried chemipure, GFO, NOPOX, hydrogen peroxide dosing but a chalice started to die so I stopped, and then as I said before turning the lights out. Just bought some mermaids fan so maybe that'll help. I've had dragons breath the entire time but I gave a lot away.

(edited)

I fought for green cyano several months. Increasing flow didn't help (some of the thickest mats were in high flow areas. 20% weekly water changes weren't barely held it at bay. H2O2 dosing didn't affect it at all. And several weeks after I had gotten my PO4 down below 0.02 and my NO3 down below 2 ppm it was still holding its ground. Then I decided to try diversifying my bacteria population a little more so I began doing maintenance doses of Seachem's 'Pristine'.

I honestly can't say if the Pristine was actually diversifying or 'balancing out' my bacteria in anyway versus what was already in my tank ... or that it wasn't merely due to my nutrients remaining low for several weeks and finally starving the green cyano out ... but within about 3 weeks of starting the Pristine additions, it had pretty much faded away to nothing.

Edited by malacoda

I fought for green cyano several months. Increasing flow didn't help (some of the thickest mats were in high flow areas. 20% weekly water changes weren't barely held it at bay. H2O2 dosing didn't affect it at all. And several weeks after I had gotten my PO4 down below 0.02 and my NO3 down below 2 ppm it was still holding its ground. Then I decided to try diversifying my bacteria population a little more so I began doing maintenance doses of Seachem's 'Pristine'.

I honestly can't say if the Pristine was actually diversifying or 'balancing out' my bacteria in anyway versus what was already in my tank ... or that it wasn't merely due to my nutrients remaining low for several weeks and finally starving the green cyano out ... but within about 3 weeks of starting the Pristine additions, it had pretty much faded away to nothing.

Thank you so much for your input! Maybe I'll try pristine too.

I use chemiclean for red cyno usually 1 time with every new tank at some point....mind blowing how well and quickly it works....not sure how it works with regards green cyno. Chemiclean and water changes I bet will solve

They would just use an API test kit like I do

Probably not. All the LFSs I've seen use a digital tester which are much more accurate than api. Something like this:

chemetrics_total_phosphate_test_kit.jpg

Probably not. All the LFSs I've seen use a digital tester which are much more accurate than api. Something like this:

chemetrics_total_phosphate_test_kit.jpg

The one i go to isn't only saltwater and the next one is 45 min away. How much does it cost to get this done?

(edited)

I seem to recall the LFS phosphate test was a few bucks. ($6?) I've seen a strong relationship between that kind of algae and phosphates. That's why I ask.

What does your API phosphate test say?

Edited by sen5241b

I seem to recall the LFS phosphate test was a few bucks. ($6?) I've seen a strong relationship between that kind of algae and phosphates. That's why I ask.

What does your API phosphate test say?

I'll definitely try it if my local LFS offers or I swing by the other one anytime soon. But I've run GFO before and I'm currently running chemipure elite. Both did nothing.

I read somewhere that old t5 lights could cause an outbreak of this. I have old LEDs that are like 3 years old.

I read somewhere that old t5 lights could cause an outbreak of this. I have old LEDs that are like 3 years old.

LED's won't color shift like floressents do.  T5's start to shift their color and par as they get ran longer.

Maybe add another power head to your tank?

LED's won't color shift like floressents do. T5's start to shift their color and par as they get ran longer.

Maybe add another power head to your tank?

I have two wavemaker powerheads that are overrated for my tank but I also have two seahorses so they aren't turned up high. Not that I think it would make a huge difference. The algae grows anywhere there is light regardless of flow- even in direct flow.

Does anyone think NOPOX shouldn't be used? I was thinking of doing a large water change/siphon, 2ml NOPOX dosing, and a week of lights out.