Will my Caribbean Anemone Kill my Toadstool Coral?

XxTech MoneyxX

See picture below... this carabean anemone is moving all the time now trying to get comfortable I guess. I've had him for about 2 months. Anyway, the toadstool seems to be okay after two days of the anemone over top of him... I do notice the tentacles of the toadstool arnt fully out where the anemone is touching. Can this kill the toadstool? Thanks!73b3dd4ff4d420fefd48e86f4d2a8e4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The condylactis (aka condy) will probably try to sting the toadstool. They do pack a pretty good punch against other corals. They can also kill and eat other small fishes. The toadstool leather will probably respond chemically and may irritate the condy enough to move on. But I'd watch this to make sure it's the case. If enough of a battle ensues, the toxin could irritate other corals in the tank. Filtration and carbon will likely keep this from being much of a problem. 

My first anemone was a condy. I moved away from it (after six months or so) because it would not settle down and would do damage to other corals as it moved along trying to find a place to settle. 

Thanks Tom for the quick reply! Hmm, I'm going to wait a couple more days to see if the Condy moves, if not I'm not sure what to do because the toadstool is permanent stuck to the rock. My filtration isn't the. Eat because I have a small skimmer on this setup. I could add carbon though.

How big is this setup, Tony? Condy's can get large and may be inappropriate in most nanos. I remember getting one when I was new to the hobby because it was attractive and inexpensive.

It's an all in one setup only 33 gallons, bought here in the U.K. Yup that's why I added him to the tank, it was all white with purple tips and only about $20. It sure is growing fast and has doubled in size.

Somehow, I have come to think of condys as the anemone version of damsel. Is this a poor analogy?