Starboard

miggs76

If any of you use starboard on your bare bottom tanks could you help me out? Do you use silicon to keep it from floating? I'm going to use it for a 17 gallon ADA build but honestly I don't really want to glue down the starboard. Would rocks on top be enough to keep it from floating? My main 60 gallon tank is bare bottom but I don't use starboard. Thanks.

how much leeway should I give when ordering it?  The tank is 11.75 by 23.5 inches.  How close to that should I order the dimensions of the starboard?  Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

You may want to check out Piedmont Plastics first before ordering over the internet or from someone else. They're local. Starboard is a brand name like Xerox. It's HDPE board and there are different specific gravities for different HDPE boards. Mines pretty close to 1.026 and doesn't float. It was pretty heavy. I knocked about an inch off all around and slid it in diagonally underneath the centerbrace of my 120g. Didn't glue it down. If you don't have to it's better for when you may have to remove it. I used it to hold fiberglass rodding which supports my rockwork four - six inches higher, and I have a deep sand bed in between.

Edited by FirstContact

Im thinking of going barebottom with live rock, why do we need to have starboard ? does it add any functional value? 

Wouldn't detritus get piled below the starboard and to the sides of it?

I picked up a custom cut piece at cutting board company dot com

Not a bad price and came in a few days.