Coral Box QP16 Quiet Pump Review

FirstContact

Hi Everyone,

Coral Box has a new powerhead that looks extremely similar to the Jebao PP15s. It's called the QP16. I am getting one and plan on reviewing it here.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Unboxing and General Impressions

Powerhead appears larger and heavier than a RW/PP15.  The control box has only 4 buttons and an led read out screen.  The power adapter looks a little different but appears to be essentially the same.  Powerhead comes apart just like an RW/PP15.  Definitley manufactured by the same factory.

The connectors appear to be larger; so, the $30 Jebao to Apex adaptor won't work with these.

IMG_1047_zpsu1y4rbj3.jpg

IMG_1049_zpspyllevpl.jpg

IMG_1050_zpsex5hrgz7.jpg

Edited by FirstContact

Hey Everyone,

The magnet is exactly the same as the RW15; so, whatever the RW15 does as far as glass thickness the QP16 would do too. Anyway, it's not listed in the instructions what it's rated for. I'll be using it on my 120g with my RW15s.

M6 mode is satellite mode for multiple pumps. I'll plug it in later this week and post pics of the controller box.

I've been following along. As soon as I read your initial post, I was reminded of a conversation that I had with the guy behind Coral Box - at the time, he was behind Fish Street, the place that we all used to go to get Jebao pumps. We were, in fact, working with them to secure a booth at MACNA 2015 (they did, it was booth 1706). Communications came from Fish Street but there was a deliberate effort at the time to separate Fish Street from a  new entity Coral Box. Given the connection, it's not surprising (to me) that the two are products are similar. 

(edited)

Jebao is listed as a vendor at MACNA NOLA. Fish Street and Coral Box aren't listed. I had a blast at our MACNA in DC! Thanks for all the hard work!

As far as Coral Box goes they are advertising the QP as "more reliable" and "improved longevity". Although I am very happy to have RW15s and a QP16, and have a huge inexpensive alternative to Tunze or Vortech, the Jebao controllers and power supplies aren't that reliable. I got away from the controllers by using the Jebao to Apex adapter and am now trying to source a better 5 amp power supply for two powerheads. The only issue is that they seem to sell with different jack sizes in mm, and I don't know the correct size. I contacted Fish Street and all they could say was the size was standard, but they didn't know what size. Anyway, my point being that I hope the control box and power supply for the QP16 are more reliable than the RW15s, but there doesn't seem to be much manufacturing difference from the outside. I know the QP16 has an LED screen and the RW15s don't but they are clearly manufactured by the same company. I guess time will tell.

Anyone use outsourced alternative power supplies for RW powerheads?

Edited by FirstContact

One i used on my 2 rw8s. Doesn't even get warm. Doesn't look like available any longer though ed1ccd48035d65a51568af221385b433.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

(edited)

Hey, that's great info khh27!  Now I know to look for 5.5mm x 2.1 mm for the jack.  I'll look around for a month or so and see what turns up on Amazon and other places. 

Thanks, 

Gary

Edited by FirstContact

Here's the anticipated picture of the control box with LED read out screen. Functions are as follows: M:1 - 6, modes; Fre:1-99, frequency of wave; Flow: 1 - 9 power of flow; L: On - Off, night sensor; Fe: 10 (minutes, suppose this counts down), Feed Mode; Wi: M - F - N, Master, Follow, None?

The control box is definitely an upgrade and the LED screen is pretty neat!

IMG_1086_zpsi3hxcjad.jpg

(edited)

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf"flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid816.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz83%2FFirstContact2%2FIMG_1092_zpsrofpithl.mp4&title=">

Edited by FirstContact

No problem! The Coral Box QPs won't work with the $30 Jebao to Apex adapter. They sell another adapter that runs around $100 for it. Apparently the Jebao RWPPSW have a chip in the powerhead and the Coral Box QPs do not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...