Orange Spotted Filefish Adventure Continues

arking_mark

Just a couple quick notes:

- Added Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp.  She has started to sample the frozen (at least by accident), but strongly prefers the live brine and Ova.  I believe she also cleans up all the Ova and Nouri Polyp that floats to the bottom of the acclimation box.  I observe a lot of grazing on the bottom of the box, and her belly is always full.

- I'll probably keep her in the acclimation box until she is reliably feeding from frozen.  I expect that to be at least 2-3 more weeks.

- Her tank-mates (Red Spot Cardinals and Mandarin) are loving the feedings.  The Cardinals are fat and have definitely grown.

- Replaced pump with single.  Works perfectly.  Adding 2nd pump moves too much water and the sump and overflow can't keep up.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds like a such a cool high maintenance peaceful tank. Do post pictures once everyone's settled and you feel more comfortable. Excited to hear about the success so far. 

1st bump in the road. She did not really eat this morning. If she doesn't eat this evening, I'll go back to providing more live brine and back off from the frozen.

Quick update: 

- Eating very reliably including the Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp,

- Thinking of letting her out of the acclimation box.  It's been three weeks and eating has been very straightforward.  Not sure there is a benefit of restricting her environment any further.

Thoughts?

Great news. If healthy and fattened up some, it sounds like she'll have a good chance from here on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So interestingly enough, I was out of live brine for a day and had to rely on frozen brine and nutrimar ova. Other then sampling and spitting out the frozen brine, she just focused on the ova. I thought by now she would have no problem with just the frozen.

Any other foods like Ova?

Any other foods like Ova?

Maybe PE Calanus?  It's the same color but much easier for fish to see, I think.  My fish go crazy for it.  

Just got a small sample of Rods fish eggs. Had a LRS egg sac from several months ago...decided it was too old and hard to get portions from it. I'll look up PE Calanus.

So 4 weeks in and she has been released to the DT.  Just a couple of notes:

1.  She is harder to feed, and does not eat as much in the DT.  May take a little time to adjust...but she does eat.  Now focuses back on the live brine.

2.  She is definitely picking on my Arco.  So far she picks on my Stag, Birds of Paradise, and Poci.  No problems, that's why I got them.

3.  She has taken to swimming with her reflection incessantly.  Kind of of annoying.  Again, may just take some time to adjust to the DT.

Any WAMAS advice as we move on to this next stage? 

No advice, Mark. You appear to be on the leading edge of adapting this specimen to captivity. It's all pretty cool, if you ask me. Hopefully, you're just seeing her acclimate to the rest of the tank. Good work.

Just a couple quick observations:

1. OSF is now fully adjusted to my prepared mix and eating it in the DT.

2. Over the last week she has sampled and devastated some of my SPS. Again, many were bought for that purpose.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just a couple quick observations:

1. OSF is now fully adjusted to my prepared mix and eating it in the DT.

2. Over the last week she has sampled and devastated some of my SPS. Again, many were bought for that purpose.

Are you planning to supplement with sps or wing it off as the corals are eaten up?

Are you planning to supplement with sps or wing it off as the corals are eaten up?

She doesn't require SPS at this point. As a grazer, she has sampled and seemingly devastated most of my SPS and a couple montiporas.

• 2 months later...

My Orange Spotted Filefish is still doing awesome. Can't believe my luck...this really worked out great.

Awesome news!  :clap: