JORO's 336G Dream Reef

joro

Not sure if you put this in but are you doing for the overflow box and return? Herbie or something else.

And 3/4" glass? Rimless or euro

I'll be running a herbie, just internally since we wanted it as flat against the wall as possible.  3/4" inch starphire glass on the 3 display sides and euro-braced.  I really wanted rimless, especially after having a Reefer tank for a few months but none of the tank builders I spoke with felt comfortable with rimless at this size which I respect.  I'd rather deal with the aesthetics of a perimeter eurobrace then dealing with a seal breaking after a few months because there wasn't enough support  ;)  From what I've seen on other forums as well, Miracles does a really nice job with the eurobrace in polishing it up, chamfering the edges, etc so maybe it won't be as bad as initially though.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(edited)

Lights are in and man, are these things beautiful and powerful! I have cheaper LEDs on my 90G and the AI Hydra 52HD on my Reefer and wow, these are going to be an insane upgrade to both. I also got in the rocks - all 200 pounds of it  :laugh:  - and miscellaneous items such as Breakout Boxes, Heaters, and a Coral Viewer.

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what to do next with the rocks. I went with dry Marco's Rocks and I was thinking about "cycling" the rocks using the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit in two heated trashcans with no lights. My thought is these rocks would basically cycle over the next 6-8 weeks so by the time the tank is ready and full, it will basically be live rock. Thoughts or recommendations on this approach?

IMG 0881

IMG 0883

IMG 0884

Edited by joro

I just realized I said Herbie in an earlier reasponse, it will be a bean animal style overflow just to be clear!

How is the return going to be plumbed? I have a miracles tank and in my opinion they drilled the return to low on The overflow box. And they didn't drill the glass part of the overflow box, only the teeth area above it, causing issues with the bulkhead getting a proper seal.

How is the return going to be plumbed? I have a miracles tank and in my opinion they drilled the return to low on The overflow box. And they didn't drill the glass part of the overflow box, only the teeth area above it, causing issues with the bulkhead getting a proper seal.

I don't know if you could see the drawing a few post ago but essentially the returns, will come out of the sides of the overflow box.  I needed to leave about 4" +/- on each side for the MP60's so they adjusted the box accordingly.  I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying about they didn't drill the glass for the return? Do you have a picture by chance?

My thought would be that you would want some sort of light cycle minimal but some light and if you are using the dry Marco rock you will also want to either buy a bacteria culture in a bottle or you should get a small scoop of sand from someone that has an established tank.  

I am not really sure because I just go ahead and aquascape and put a frozen dinner shrimp in my new aquariums with a bacteria culture.  As the bacteria becomes established the decaying shrimp is a food source.  I rarely have issues with dyno or hair algae (I say rarely because right now I am just getting over bryopsis (pure evil)).  

Best of luck, I enjoy seeing your posts.  

I will try to get a pic for you. But basically the overflow box is made of glass. Then they take the black acrylic and line the outside of the box and silicon it to the glass. The teeth are only 1-2" above the glass. The "nut" part of the bulkhead is about 1" larger then the hole that they drill causing it not to sit flush when you try to tighten it down.

If I were to do it again, I would make sure they drilled the glass along with the acrylic so the bulkhead would be flush for a tight seal.

But I will try to get you a pic tomorrow.

I sorted out the rocks today (I purchased about 150 lbs of "standard" and 50 lbs of "prime cut" which is basically rock with the bottom sawed off so it sits flush) and must say I'm pretty impressed with the assortment. This is the second time I've order from Marco's Rocks and they definitely delivered the type of pieces I requested.  I'm going to load these up in the trash can for tomorrow to begin the cycle!

IMG 0899

My thought would be that you would want some sort of light cycle minimal but some light and if you are using the dry Marco rock you will also want to either buy a bacteria culture in a bottle or you should get a small scoop of sand from someone that has an established tank.  

I am not really sure because I just go ahead and aquascape and put a frozen dinner shrimp in my new aquariums with a bacteria culture.  As the bacteria becomes established the decaying shrimp is a food source.  I rarely have issues with dyno or hair algae (I say rarely because right now I am just getting over bryopsis (pure evil)).  

Best of luck, I enjoy seeing your posts.  

I think he said hes seeding with rock from his 90. I may be wrong though.

I sorted out the rocks today (I purchased about 150 lbs of "standard" and 50 lbs of "prime cut" which is basically rock with the bottom sawed off so it sits flush) and must say I'm pretty impressed with the assortment. This is the second time I've order from Marco's Rocks and they definitely delivered the type of pieces I requested.  I'm going to load these up in the trash can for tomorrow to begin the cycle!

With all that rock, it might be fun to try your hand at chiseling some caves. I tried with mine but instead just cracked the rock in half. 

I think he said hes seeding with rock from his 90. I may be wrong though.

I'm going back and fourth on this so not sure.  For the initial cycling of the Marco's Rocks though, my plan was to use the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit which is essentially the same as the bacteria in a bottle though more advanced. Once we get to the new DT, I'll definitely be using all of the Marco's Rocks (or most of it), possible some of the LR from the existing tanks, and fresh live sand. 

With all that rock, it might be fun to try your hand at chiseling some caves. I tried with mine but instead just cracked the rock in half. 

That's what I'm planning on doing with a few pieces, hopefully I don't crack them!

On a side note, contractor is here today doing Day 1 of the work including building the load-bearing wall, running new electrical, etc.  Starting to come along (pics to follow)  :wig:

It's been a busy week here as the contractors took over to build the load bearing wall, reroute existing electrical, install new 20A circuits, and other miscellaneous tasks! A few pics of the before/during/after are below and while there still is some small work I have to do (e.g. installing shelving, figuring out what to do with some power bricks, etc), it all turned awesome! For those that are interested, our structural engineer's report gave us the option to build a load-bearing wall that spanned the 3 floor joists or install 2 "lolly" columns with steel plate footers. We originally planned to go with the steel columns but after deciding we much preferred the "finished" look of a wall, it was much easier (and cheaper) just to build the load bearing wall instead.  

IMG 0901

IMG 0921

IMG 0939

IMG 0947

IMG 0970

IMG 0971

We also had an interesting discovery in one of our walls, a vintage Budweiser beer can which was released at some point in the 80's based on it being an aluminum can. Our house was built in the early 80's so presumably the workers enjoyed it while building which may explain some of the house's "features" like un-level floors  :rolleyes: 

IMG 0935

We also have some new inhabitants in both of our existing tanks!  :cool:  As we get closer to the delivery of the new tank, we want to begin stocking up both fish and corals (primarily the latter given size constraints) so we can make some instant impact with the new tank. Our Reefer 170 has the better lights of our existing tanks, so we decided to use this as a coral holding tank and just this week purchased some new zoas and this beautiful short tentacle plate coral which has been on my "wish list" for a while. On the fish front, we found a tiny Hippo Tang at our LFS - probably about an inch long - which we've put in the Reefer temporarily to grow out in the coming weeks before she makes it into the new tank. The first day or two was shaky but since then she's been eating algae off the clip and actively feeding at chow time. I also, unfortunately, haven't been able to get a good pic to date. 

IMG 0968

One of my "must have" fish in the new tank was a trigger - I've always loved the swimming motion and personality of these fish - and I found a beautiful one on DD which I just had to have. He's a Red Tailed Trigger - AKA Sargassum Trigger - and he/she has been doing great since we go them this morning. The trigger didn't eat tonight - but man is it thick and healthy - so I'm not too concerned with the missed meal tonight. Oddly enough, when I first put it in the tank he went straight to our cleaner shrimp and started getting cleaned (including his mouth  :eek: ), so hopefully that's a good sign that long term he won't harass the CUC too much.

IMG 0963

• 1 month later...

Good evening reefers! My apologies for the lack of updates but outside of getting new gear in the past few weeks, there hasn't been much in the way of "major updates" until today  ;)   Before I get to that, let's talk about what's been going on the past few weeks...

Let's start with our existing tanks. While the new tank will be substantially larger in every way, that also means we'll be getting larger (and more aggressive in a few cases) fish that could cause problems with our current inhabitants.  As a result, we've been contemplating the past few weeks on what was going to make the "cut" and we decided that it was best to part with most of the fish in our smaller Reefer 170 setup which were, well, small enough to become snacks for some of the others.  Among those we sold to WAMAS members were two snowflake clowns, a Helfrichi Firefish, and a Male Mandarin.  Of these, the Mandarin was probably the hardest to part with. The Mandarin was a Biota Captive Bred who we had since he was tiny - literally a half an inch in length or less - and had grown significantly into a beautiful fish that was eating frozen food regularly.  We just couldn't keep in him in good conscience and I'm glad to know he'll go to the WAMAS member who will undoubtedly enjoy him just as much as we did.

IMG 1205

On the equipment front, still a lot of odds and ends coming in every few days but probably the biggest addition is a second DOS / DDR combo set which will allow us to dose 2-part, magnesium, and have a 4th pump for whatever we decide to do with it.  I also purchased a Tunze Osmolator though I'm hoping that Neptune releases or includes me in the NSI beta for their Auto-Top Off Kit (ATK) before everything in installed so I can use that. I'm also contemplating the FMK but still on the fence on whether I'd get much use out of it day to day. 

IMG 1227

On livestock, we've made made a few coral additions over the past few weeks though unfortunately we've also had a few losses.  The challenge we have right now is that we want the stability of the 90G but don't have the quality lighting we have on the Reefer so the latter has become the de-facto holding tank for all coral additions.  I will say that the losses have been minimal - a milli and a ricordea mushroom off hand - but the ones that have been stable are impressive. I can't wait to have all these under "proper" lighting and flow in the new system. With the recent downsizing of the Reefer I've also been on the lookout for a few fish I know we want in the new system, particularly wrasses.  Nothing has been added/purchased to date but we'll see what happens in the coming weeks  :biggrin:

IMG 1081

IMG 1083

On the new tank, we've been getting shots of the progress and it's making us even more excited for the finished product.  We're still looking at a late May ship date which should put it here right before my birthday (June 9) which will be awesome!!!

IMG 1135

IMG 1198

Finally, and perhaps the biggest news to date, we just received our custom SS-48 sump from Synergy Reefs and I don't know that words could possibly express how pleased we are with this purchase. First, receiving this shipment today made this whole adventure "realer" than it has been to date which is awesome but second, and not least, the craftsmanship, attention to detail, and little touches are second to none. I now know why everyone sings their praises and I'm fortunate to say I'm part of the "club" now!!!  :clap:  Also, I realized tonight that the sump is the same size as our 90G "big" tank, it's crazy to think that our sump for the new system is the same size as our largest tank today - this was a crazy perspective I didn't consider until tonight when I was admiring it  :thumbsup:

IMG 1139

IMG 1230

IMG 1239

I'll try to post more updates in the coming weeks but likely it will be a little quiet until the new tank is in, which is of course when all the fun begins!  :wig:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few incremental updates thus far this week as we prepare for arrival! One of the more pressing tasks was modifying a section of our house's DWV (drain-waste-vent) plumbing with the goal of creating a separate run which I could use to dispose of water I remove during water changes. The job itself was pretty easy but finding ABS plumping was a pain the butt. I ended up having to order it online to get the fittings I wanted but it all turned out alright. I also made a rookie mistake in spilling the ABS Cement and now we have a nice stain on dryer  :unsure:  Any tips on how to get it off the dryer (if possible) would be much appreciated!

IMG 1301

On a higher note, this morning I received one of the fish I've wanted for a while which is a Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus solorensis) from DD. This guy is absolutely stunning but unfortunately he looks like he took the shipping a little hard. I'll give him some TLC the next day or so and hopefully it's just temporary stress from the journey. With him arriving all of our current tanks have reached full capacity fish-wise, so no more additions on that front until the new tank arrives and is cycled  :sad: 

IMG 1304

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

(edited)

Quite a few updates to cover tonight!  First, the newly added Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse has recovered beautifully and is not shy at all. In fact, since he's been out all day, I've seen the other fish out more frequently as well so definitely a win-win despite the initial worries! He's also a little pig at feeding time  :thumbsup: 

Since we started this build the house has been a battlefield of boxes, miscellaneous plumbing parts, etc many of which have flooded over the utility room / fish room since then.   Last weekend I wanted to get organized once again which included building a new shelving units to replace the larger  open rack we had previously but which no longer fit in the space.  Everything turned out very well although I still have an extra piece or two laying around which is never good  :why:

F744ABE7 FD43 4844 994B 9698DBEEF6D6

While the organization was occurring in the basement, I also got the huge order of plumbing supplies in for the main tank. I decided to match the color scheme of the mixing station (red pipes / grey Sch 80 fittings) and then use all gray in the overflow itself.  I'm pretty sure a small plumbing supply shop in American shut down the day they fulfilled this order but I figured it would be better to have more parts than not enough, heck I can always return them!   ;)

IMG 1319

IMG 1320

On the equipment front, also got a shipment of 32x brand new filter socks from BRS which I'm excited to try out!  I put them through an initial two-cycle wash with bleach and they are ready for use once everything get's setup!

IMG 1324

This weekend was scheduled for water changes on both of our existing tanks and it dawned on me that this would probably be the final water change we perform on the Reefer 170.  As those that have been following this thread know, the Reefer's inhabitants will be the first ones in the new tank after it's cycled.  A bittersweet moment for sure, despite me hating the maintenance on such a small tank when it was good, it was really good. Although after carrying 3 5-gallon buckets of freshly mixed water up the stair, that became an afterthought  :laugh:

IMG 1325

And finally, I've saved the best for last!  The tank/stand cleared US Customs today and is in transit!!!!  :clap:  Delivery is scheduled for next week and it's so exciting to see light at the end of the tunnel at least for everything to be in our house.  It came on a good long weekend as well since there is still a few odds and ends that need to be wrapped up, new apex modules installed (including the new ATK!), and of course lots and lots of water to be made. Look forward to sharing some additional updates this weekend as we finalize the remaining components and get ready to put water in this tank!

Screen Shot 2017 05 25 At 5.01.07 PM

IMG 1341

On a sorta unrelated note, our dog does not approve of all the buckets of water  :rolleyes:

IMG 1337

Edited by joro

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Sorry for the lack of updates but it's been a busy, stressful, and amazing time getting the tank setup - all in one!  We received the tank last Wednesday, May 31st on a huge trailer.  While the trailer was huge, the equipment they used - what was essentially a pallet jack - was not and I stood by with anticipation the entire time as I was sure (a) it was going to topple over or (b) all the up/down motion was going to bust a seam or worse break the glass.  I was pleasantly surprised after it was down to inspect it with zero signs of damage, maybe I was being a helicopter tank parent  :laugh: 

IMG 1387

IMG 1389

Thursday, June 1st, was "the day." We hired WAMAS sponsor Capital Aquarium to perform the install and they did not disappoint.  I must have counted 10+ guys here that picked the tank up in what seemed effortless, put it in place, and plumbed it.  They did a fantastic job with all components and I was especially impressed with the plumbing where they took what was my chicken scratch diagram and turned it into not only a reality but an improved design!

IMG 1392

IMG 1398

IMG 1402

We started filling the tank using all the RODI we had hoarded in the previous weeks and after a day or so noticed the floor settled, meaning the tank was now unlevel and noticeably so, particularly on the long sides where you could see a visible slant to the water. To compound issues, there was a leak in the main drain line of the bean animal overflow which prevent us from running everything (although not that we would want to with the tank being unlevel). Again, Capital Aquarium was amazing to work with bringing out another group of guys and lots and lots of trash cans to drain down the water so they could re-level everything.  Despite what turned into a full days' effort, we now have a perfectly level tank and couldn't be happier with how everything turned out!  :clap:

IMG 1454

IMG 1457

While all this was going on, I took the opportunity to prepare the tank for the cycle which included installing the final components in the sump (e.g. skimmer, ZEOvit reactor, fuge lighting and algae, etc).  I absolutely love the Reef Octopus combo with the skimmer, neck cleaner, and waste collector all working in tandem to reduce the chores. Also, the Kessil H380 is blowing my mind (just looking at the pH stableness the past two nights) and I would say it makes the equipment, piping, etc just glow beautifully when it's on  :wig:

IMG 1459

As part of the preparations, I also released the first "episode" of JORO's Reef on YouTube which is focused on how I rinsed and prepared the dry sand for installation.  The results after putting in the tank were pretty incredible, especially as this was my first time using dry sand for a build. I encourage you all to take a look and let me know if there is any other topics you'd like me to cover going forward!

Finally, we're now in Day 3 of the ZEOvit cycle so not much going on. Capital Aquarium is currently QT'ing our batch of tangs (Achilles, Blonde Naso, and Purple) and I'm going to stop by this weekend to check them out.  I'll also end by saying that officially it's my birthday and undeniably one of the best with the new tank, toys, and support from everyone!  Looking forward to documenting this journey!  :cool:

IMG 1458

Edited by joro

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Just got back from RAP NY 2017 and wow, what an amazing time!  It was a great opportunity to meet a lot of folks, discuss the hobby, and (perhaps most importantly) see and score some of the hottest corals out there!  :laugh: 

IMG 1552

IMG 1558

I didn't take any photos in the event itself - figured there would be more than enough coverage online - but did focus on getting a select few corals I'd had been looking for. The haul wasn't huge, maybe 10-12 total corals, but I really enjoyed all the pieces we purchased.  My wife also got in on the action hunting down a beautiful frag of blastos I've been looking for and what can I say, I'm a lucky guy to have some an awesome wife who enjoys this hobby as much as I do!  :cool:

IMG 1573

In addition, this my first chance to really use the Building an Obsession (BAO) Frag Transport System and I can't even tell you how impressed I was overall.  It's the little things that made a big difference when I got everything home including (a) the measuring lines on the side (so I knew how much CoralRX to use), (b) the space between the rack and the container which made it super easy to mix up the coral dip once I put it in, and © the ability to pull out the entire rack which made it really easy to go up/down during the dip to shake critters off. Here are a few pics of me transferring everything over in the hotel.  Essentially I had all the corals bagged at the show, transferred them into the BAO (which already had fresh saltwater in it I prepared before heading up to RAP), and packed the entire thing in a nice cooler that I packed with peanuts to retain temperature. 

IMG 1562

IMG 1563

IMG 1564

The final haul includes two different blasto frags (with a mini colony), two zoa frags, a bubble colony, an awesome blue/gold torch, a few SPS frags including a green slimer, two gonipora frags, and a very nice carpet lobo!  I haven't take any full tank shots today as everything looked pretty unhappy with the dip but with the blues on tonight they definitely started opening which was very nice to see and that blasto my wife found, absolutely stunning even from across the room given how neon it looks.

Next projects for this build are the installation of the external pump (tomorrow or Tuesday) and then working on starting to break down the 90G later this week and transferring the corals/fish over to their new home! I also started raising the Alkalinity today from 6.3 dKH to 10 dKH where is what I'm aiming for.  Once the level is up where I want it, I'll start dosing Calcium, Alk, and Mag from there on out through the DOS pumps!
Edited by joro

So just a quick update for today - we're officially a one tank family again [/size]  :cool:  I spent a good part of this morning/afternoon breaking down the 90 Gallon DT which, among other things, housed the majority of our fish that we're moving over to the new system. I'm glad to report overall the move went very smoothly and I documented (at least the first part of the breakdown) in the second episode of JORO's Reef which you can find on Youtube below! Hint, the second part is going to be pretty awesome (dealing with acclimation) including a clip I might turn into a meme [/size]  :laugh: 

https://youtu.be/gEaZ_KsOBe8

Despite the breakdown, all the fish we moved over have settled in very nicely and very quickly - I almost think they had a mini reunion since we moved over a few of their tank mates earlier in the week.  I had a chance while filming the latest episode today to also take a few quick pics including some of one o my favorite fish - the Cooperband Butterfly.  Hope you enjoy!

20170629 648A3996

20170629 648A3997

20170629 648A4000

20170629 648A4014

20170629 648A4023

Very nice job. I also use Zeovit. Good stuff but recently got a dinos that won't go away. Looking forward to the updates.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Very nice job. I also use Zeovit. Good stuff but recently got a dinos that won't go away. Looking forward to the updates.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ah that sucks!  What additives are you doing in the Zeo system?

Also, second part of the breakdown series is up on YouTube!  Still working on the FTS but this gives you some better views of the tank head on near the end of the segment.