Know what this is? Weird jelly blob..

mari.harutunian

73ccf1fc110acb6aca72ee276c45ea7d.jpg

I see these occasionally-sometimes attached to the rocks like this one- in the tank but they tend to float into the powerhead and then I don't give them another thought. Know what they are? (They aren't pineapple sponges)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean the green? It's cyano or spirulina

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

No. It's very hard to see, but it is clear/foggy sphere. They have the consistency of a jellyfish but don't seem to have any kind of jellyfish/comb jelly structures and they do not move on their own. 580fe30fe0c83efc90be6b54ef15f698.jpg

Id be more concerned with that cyano or dino issue that looks like its about to kick off...

It may improve once you get your water quality under control, Mari. But you have got a lot of bubbles forming on that surface in the background of the picture. You may want to scrape/siphon it off at your next water change.

It may improve once you get your water quality under control, Mari. But you have got a lot of bubbles forming on that surface in the background of the picture. You may want to scrape/siphon it off at your next water change.

The bubbles are underneath the plastic frag rack. The algae is leftover from my other tank. This is the nano. Most of the algae is dying from the decreased photo period.

Id be more concerned with that cyano or dino issue that looks like its about to kick off...

I've almost given up on not having algae... and it already "kicked off" these are all frags that were moved to the nano tank.

little clam organism????!? Opens and closes with changes in light or being touched. It used to be on the other side of the tank attached to some rock but it is now here attached to rock... no idea how it moved....... ba1331aa4f88da26eb49588893c2201e.jpg its nestled under the birdsnest. It's also super thin and kind of fan or pizza slice shaped.

Edited by mari.harutunian

Also if it has stringy parts with small bubbles coming off the green stuff be careful because it could be dinos like Rob said. They can kill fish when disturbed and left to float around in the tank.

Also if it has stringy parts with small bubbles coming off the green stuff be careful because it could be dinos like Rob said. They can kill fish when disturbed and left to float around in the tank.

How do they kill fish???

Dinos release toxins in the water and lower o2 levels. Fish can die in minutes. They will also kill corals in tanks when they start spreading.

Also the clear spot in the picture could be a small bacterial mass. If it's slimey and snotty it's a good chance.

Old article here on dinoflagellates. 

There have been some reports over the years of using hydrogen peroxide to treat dinos successfully. Research this carefully before going forward though. Remember, you may not have dinos, so don't worry. Just take the opportunity to research it.

Old article here on dinoflagellates.

There have been some reports over the years of using hydrogen peroxide to treat dinos successfully. Research this carefully before going forward though. Remember, you may not have dinos, so don't worry. Just take the opportunity to research it.

201d1012cc7b93c2028f0d75c2ca0df8.jpg

Are these dinos? Do dinos decrease with an 8 hr photo period? These used to be coating every surface but once I decreased the photo period they have slowly peeled off everything/dissolved. The places with higher flow have none. Lower flow areas still have some but I just got two jabeo WP40s so the flow problem will be solved soon. Also does hair algae or bryopsis like high flow? I'm asking for a friend...(me)

Looks a lot like dinos but as Tom said you have to research and find out. Dinos will fade away with decreased light and blackouts are how some strains are treated. They do tend to settle on lower flow areas but so does cyano. Along with manual removal before the blackout. I have treated tanks with peroxide and blackouts with manual removal fist. Works great but there are many types which some are resistant to this process of removal. Either way if it's cyano or dinos turning you lights off for two or three days after a very good tank cleaning is a good first step to try and get them under control. Key is get as much out manually as possible before you start lights out and or peroxide. Also after the blackout slowly ramp your photoperiod back up to 8 hours starting with 4 the first day. Make sure corals do not pale to much while the lights are out. If they are unhealthy it could cause problems,. If so could a bad dino or cyano issue.

A member by the screen name Pants I believe can test to see which strain you have. Maybe other can help too but I wouldn't bother if the blackout works.

ff0cd318dd732b28b78353f5b6f0e22c.jpg

Feb 11th all white light top view^

69b73d304124e3547fa394d1c129e5ab.jpg

Today all white light top view.

It was even worse before feb 11th. This is so much better though...