Montipora capriconis lovers

GraffitiSpotCorals

So I came across a cool monti cap I haven't seen before that glows really nice with cool contrast. Has anyone had one of these before? Even though I don't really keep these in my reef I would like to make sure I keep it growing if not. It's a deep green with greenish yellow polyps. It came in with yellow polyps so I am hoping it colors up that way. They are brightening back up though. I will get a picture under daylight tomorrow but here is a quick phone picture under only blue leds, sorry about that...

a6dba11174375397efde07bf18d1f63a.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

93a9ebebff8aa9489bad46222e0d0f4e.jpg

Here is another bad phone picture under halide bulbs. It's a different piece of the same cap. Hopefully they fully recover from the long trip and do well. I just moved them to the display so they got a little stressed where they weren't used to the light.

Let me know if it's a common piece or if it's something you haven't seen.

An add? For a monti cap?? Hah! I stated the purpose of the thread multiple times. No one can say the words "seen it before" or "never seen it before"? I could not sell montipora caps if my life depended on it so I am not sure how an add would change anything.

I simply want to know if people in the area who like monti caps are already growing this piece. If they are not then I will try and grow it out so others can enjoy it. I don't remember the last dollar I have made off a monti cap. I gave away maybe 20 large pieces of monti cap a few months ago when I was giving away free corals.

One more thing, what do you mean by "just like the last thread you started, this feels like an add."? What thread is this your talking about?

Oh I see, when I asked for help unboxing and aclimating acros it looked like an add? Whatever, I don't care how it looked, I had 100 colonies stuck in bags in the air for 3 days. I would say that the only reason any of them survived is because a friend saw my post and dropped what he was doing to come help me. Which I appreciate because otherwise a LOT of money and coral would have been lost.

If I can't go here for help where am I supposed to go? The 7-11 down the street and hire a bunch of Spanish dudes??

I appreciate your thoughts though, I have given my reasons for posting each post and will let others think what they want.

If I can't go here for help where am I supposed to go? The 7-11 down the street and hire a bunch of Spanish dudes??

I know you were ranting in response to someone else's reply, but really? Keep this garbage off this forum!

Did I offend you somehow?

I mentioned Spanish people at a 7-11 that look for work because its the only other fast option for help in my area. And they definitely don't have the skills I needed that day. Not sure how any of that is garbage. Mentioning them or using them as an example to create a point shouldn't offend anyone imo.

I didn't mean for it to be a rant, just tried to give my explanation because I don't like to be looked at like I am putting posts up to try and hype anything up.

This thread has gotten very off topic. And judging by the fact that no one has said "it's common" I will continue to try and grow the monti instead of giving it to friends. I like the contrast it has anyways, if I can just keep it off my rockwork.

It look like a reverse form of the purple rim green cap.  Purple with green polyps instead of green with purple polyps. I also haven't seen one like it before. 

Elbowdeep, I was not ranting at your response, just anyone who views my few posts as "hype" adds. I appreciate your honesty for sure. I can see how people would take my post about needing help with acros the wrong way now that I go back and look at it. But I felt I needed to be descriptive to find the right person to help me. Luckily it all worked out and no one contacted me trying to buy them. Only people who wanted to help. Again tanks to those people!

It look like a reverse form of the purple rim green cap.  Purple with green polyps instead of green with purple polyps. I also haven't seen one like it before.

Thank you for the response Alan! I thought the same thing and wonder if the body will turn more purple as it aclimates to an aquarium. It's more deep green right now but who knows. Wilds can change color so much it's hard to know. The polyps could go completely dark green and never go back to the yellow they were when it came in. It's hit or miss sometimes.

Yeah, would be interesting to see how it looks after it's settled. Stress does all sorts of weird color things.... Sometimes attractive and sometimes not. You should grow it out and see what it does...Maybe it will be pretty.

So it's purple body with green polyps??

If so I have an encrusting monti like that. I call it Barney.

Not the best pic, but you get the idea

DSC_0136_zps2rgetnpe.jpg

Edited by epleeds

Paul, nothing but props, but I was called out once upon a time so I gotta say: just like the last thread you started, this feels more like an add than an inquiry.

I know you were ranting in response to someone else's reply, but really? Keep this garbage off this forum!

sooo much butthurt :rollface:

Paul, the cap looks really cool. lmk when your ready to frag ill take a piece! 

Paul, pretty coral, the coral skeleton structure looks like a regular Montipora capricornis versus something like an undata or other so I'm guessing that this is simply a color morph driven by lighting and nutrients in the previous system.  Green seems to take hold with a little bit of extra nutrient in the water as the zooxanthellae multiplies in response to environmental cues and the polyps could simply be in response to how the coral is feeding.  I had a coral long ago that was brown until I got it into my system and then it turned a vibrant deep green with bright red polyps.  From speaking with some experts, they suggested that it was probably just morphing colors based on available nutrients and my strong lighting.  I wonder if this coral will maintain its color pattern under weaker light.  The greens tend to be in response to higher light if I recall correctly (it's been a very long time since I had any real corals!).

Yea colors definitely change from tank to tank depending on nutrients, lighting, and parameters. This coral isn't "morphed" because of another tanks conditions though because this coral came straight from a reef in figi. I am hesitant to use the term morph anyways since it kinda means different things to different people. Could be another good discussion too. The polyps could have stressed a little and looked yellow from it or were yellow from the start. Either way the pieces went through a lot of stress so they could turn out completley different. Although I did see pictures from one vendor of the same coral that came in not so stressed and the polyps were still fairly yellow.

Either way I just like the contrast of the polyps on the coral, green or yellow. It really stands out more than any other cap I have seen. I hope it grows out so others can enjoy it. This is a first for me getting excited over a freaking monti too... I ordered all acros and they threw these and some other sps in there by mistake I am assuming, and I was sooo angry when I saw monti cap. Now not so much :)