100 Nitrate

mari.harutunian

It's a 100gpd system so it's 100g/24 hours and instructed me to rinse the ro filter for 30 gallons. It does about 4.2 gallons per hour so it would take about 7 hours to run 30 gallons of water through it. Why is it 30 gallons? It said something about a preservative(not sure)? I'll read it again when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 gallons is pretty conservative to flush the membrane. However, I cold see somebody recommending that.

BTW, there's no need to run that water through the DI stage. Just disconnect it and take the water off of the membrane and run it down the drain. This accomplishes the "flushing" without wasting resin. Of course, you only need to do this when you start with an new membrane.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 gallons is pretty conservative to flush the membrane. However, I cold see somebody recommending that.

BTW, there's no need to run that water through the DI stage. Just disconnect it and take the water off of the membrane and run it down the drain. This accomplishes the "flushing" without wasting resin. Of course, you only need to do this when you start with an new membrane.

Yeah the instructions said that too. I'm using the aquaticlife twist now and it's very intuitive and easy to use. First thing I'm doing when I get home is making water... it's been a bad week. This whole thing, I stepped on a sewing needle yesterday, and I probably just failed a chem exam... at least the weathers nice?

Kind of unrelated- was filling a trash can with rodi and was about to put an unplugged heater into it. The surface of the water shocked me. I heard the spark too. More than your average carpet static shock. Shocked me two more times before it stopped shocking. The only other thing in the trashcan is the rodi tube. Weird? Normal?

Kind of unrelated- was filling a trash can with rodi and was about to put an unplugged heater into it. The surface of the water shocked me. I heard the spark too. More than your average carpet static shock. Shocked me two more times before it stopped shocking. The only other thing in the trashcan is the rodi tube. Weird? Normal?

Yes. That's pretty weird. What kind of surface was the trash can sitting on? "Hearing" the shocks sounds like a static discharge. What kind of shoes were you wearing at the time? What kind of soles do they have?

Yes. That's pretty weird. What kind of surface was the trash can sitting on? "Hearing" the shocks sounds like a static discharge. What kind of shoes were you wearing at the time? What kind of soles do they have?

I had no shoes or socks on. My floor is tile. The trashcan was on a towel.

Edited by mari.harutunian

Were they sharp, quick shocks like static? Flowing water can develop a static charge. And, as long as the trashcan is insulated, it can hold it. Until, that is, a nice conductor to ground - you in your bare feet - comes along offering a suitable path to ground.

Were they sharp, quick shocks like static? Flowing water can develop a static charge. And, as long as the trashcan is insulated, it can hold it. Until, that is, a nice conductor to ground - you in your bare feet - comes along offering a suitable path to ground.

Wow!! That's so weird. They were sharp just like static shocks but they were the strongest shocks I've ever felt. I never went around licking batteries like some kids...

Wow!! That's so weird. They were sharp just like static shocks but they were the strongest shocks I've ever felt. I never went around licking batteries like some kids...

Just some advice here. Always wear shoes when working with your tank, especially when you're reaching into it. The soles of your shoes insulate you from a convenient path to ground.

A grounding probe in your tank and even in your RODI container will dissipate static charge. Personally, I've never had a problem with static build up in my RODI, but it seems that it can happen (as evidenced by your situation).

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Just some advice here. Always wear shoes when working with your tank, especially when you're reaching into it. The soles of your shoes insulate you from a convenient path to ground.

A grounding probe in your tank and even in your RODI container will dissipate static charge. Personally, I've never had a problem with static build up in my RODI, but it seems that it can happen (as evidenced by your situation).

That's a good idea. Will flip flops work? Or what about the wooden stepping stool I use to reach my tank because I'm 5' tall?

I've made maybe 15 gallons of water max with the DI cartridge on???

1978735997dd237b4345eced141fd9fb.jpg

Is this the color change? Is it normal?

Edited by mari.harutunian

Yes this is normal the brown is the exhausted and the blue is what's left.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

but it seems so fast? Is this the normal rate???

Just depends. I get about 100-120g out of a BRS 1.25lb refill like tom said co2 plays a big factor in expecially well water.

When you first turn it on and run it you get what's called TDS creep. When TDS is at it Highest for a few seconds like mine will go up to 30something then trickle down once the membrane starts working. I bypass the DI to help not deplete it as fast. This TDS creep can use it up fast

Edited by khh27

TDS creep is a burst that last anywhere from about ten seconds to a couple of minutes. Back when I was on city water, my RO output was pretty good - maybe 4 ppm while the input was over 200 ppm. However, I'd get a TDS burst of about 100 for about a minute each time I started producing water. What's the effect? Well, think of 100 ppm of dissolved solids streaming by for 1 minute. Now compare that with 4 ppm going by for 25 minutes. Can you see that the same stuff goes by in 25 minutes of stable production as goes by on that first minute? That's why DI resin can exhaust quickly if you're making RODI in a lot of short bursts. Better to make a lot in one extended session than a lot of short sessions. Alternatively, you can bypass the DI stage for a couple of minutes at the start of each session and let that water go down the drain.

CO2 in your well water, though, is probably depleting your DI resin. I get the same thing here at home.

Changed 10 gallons(of 36) and siphoned the sand for probably the second time ever(in five months). Nitrate is down to somewhere between 40-80. If done with math I'm down to 70(assuming I really started with 100 and not 80-hard to tell red test hues apart)

That's a good idea. Will flip flops work? Or what about the wooden stepping stool I use to reach my tank because I'm 5' tall?

Flip flops are better than nothing, but better to have something like tennis shoes on. I would not rely on the insulating capability of a wooden step stool as it can be variable depending upon the amount of moisture in the wood. It most likely offers some protection, though. Get a ground probe for your main tank, though. If you can plug it into a GFCI outlet or cord, that's also a good safety measure.

Flip flops are better than nothing, but better to have something like tennis shoes on. I would not rely on the insulating capability of a wooden step stool as it can be variable depending upon the amount of moisture in the wood. It most likely offers some protection, though. Get a ground probe for your main tank, though. If you can plug it into a GFCI outlet or cord, that's also a good safety measure.

Just ordered a grounding probe. Is this a gcfi power strip? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LY43BV0/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1488171896&sr=8-15-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=gfci+power+strip&psc=1

You can add one of these to between the wall and the strip so it's gfci and surge protected.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M1IXSPV/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1488211926&sr=8-18&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=gfci

I would have to move my tank a few inches to fit that... the tank isn't going anywhere lol. Not sure what to do about that.