Does anybody have a Jellyfish aquarium? Interest in one?

Origami

Just curious. I've found them fascinating since MACNA 2015, when Boyd Enterprises showed a line of them from Jellyfish Art. I'm considering getting a small tank and am curious what others may have experienced.

There's a new inexpensive one that was just features on ReefBuilders that is funding now on kickstarter.  I'm thinking about getting one of those for an office tank.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blake-gratton/jellytank-the-ultimate-jellyfish-aquarium

I also saw a box for one at Craig's house.  Either an Orbit or a Jellyfish Art one, I don't remember.  Maybe you can talk him out of it if he isn't going to set it up. 8)

I've seen a couple on Kickstarter in the last year or so. There are styles like this one and ones that are more like an upright cylinder. 

I find them peaceful. And, given that we have most all of the skills and equipment needed to run one (water, salt, refractometer, husbandry skills, water quality tests, etc.), it should be easy for just about any of us to start one up. 

Just curious, I wonder how many others in the club are interested in possibly keeping a jellyfish tank?

I have a nice one, but currently not using it. I captured jellies from the Bay (sea nettles and comb jellies), but had trouble keeping them alive for long periods of time. If you are interested I could sell you mine for a good price....I decided not to run multiple tanks anymore (too much work).

Darren

Looking at jellyfish tanks is what led me to reef tanks :) I wouldn't trade for a jelly tank. They seem too boring now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at jellyfish tanks is what led me to reef tanks :) I wouldn't trade for a jelly tank. They seem too boring now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No trade. Agreed. But different. A new challenge. After all, we already have most of what's needed. I like trying something new. Especially if a new tank comes with it!

Sent from my phone

I'm concerned about the compromises that surely go in to making an affordable all in one kreisel tank which would make it impossible to keep the animals over a long term. Also concerned about lifespan of the animals, but I do think it would be really cool and if someone has the equipment and experience to keep a reef then a properly designed jelly tank should be simple.

I'm concerned about the compromises that surely go in to making an affordable all in one kreisel tank which would make it impossible to keep the animals over a long term. Also concerned about lifespan of the animals, but I do think it would be really cool and if someone has the equipment and experience to keep a reef then a properly designed jelly tank should be simple.

For what it's worth : According to Wikipedia...

Aurelia jellyfish naturally die after living and reproducing for several months. It is probably rare for these moon jellies to live more than about six months in the wild, although specimens cared for in public aquarium exhibits typically live several to many years.

Also,

Jellyfish aquariums have come a long way in the last 5 years with the development of desktop aquariums. Recent designs include isometric closed loop systems (ICLS).

Sent from my phone

Guy I talked with in San Diego with jelly tanks that had swore up and down size was the key to longer term survival, recommending over 30 gallons or so. Said the jellyart and small ones in the $200 range you can get don't offer the room. Sid they were getting 1.5 to 2 years with moons.

Now, do I have a name, company, scientific research, something  other than "a guy said so" - of course not. :) I did get a card, but have to see if I can find in the stacks... 

My friend Jim Stime (LA Fishguy) is the purveyor and entrepreneur of many jellyfish systems and filtration and could tell you everything you ever wanted to know about jellies. I can put you in touch with him....

My friend Jim Stime (LA Fishguy) is the purveyor and entrepreneur of many jellyfish systems and filtration and could tell you everything you ever wanted to know about jellies. I can put you in touch with him....

Cool. Send me contact info. I've watched his youtube channel on and off for years. I also saw him roaming the aisles at MACNA in San Diego last year. I didn't stop to say hi, though. I figured that he was getting enough of that probably.

Does anybody remember which of our speakers (in the past) showed pictures of a simple kriessel made by setting sheets of flexed plastic sheeting inside a regular rectangular tank (something like a 20H as I recall)? Not as pretty as these new tanks, but effective at a practical level. (They may have been using them as breeding tanks to keep larval fish moving and not jammed into corners.)

Hey Tom, jellies are pretty easy overall but it depends on what kind you are getting.  The expensive ones are more fascinating but when I say expensive, they are EXPENSIVE!  Moon jellies are not tough to keep but if you want longevity, bigger does seem to be better in terms of tanks and also making sure that you are breeding them is seemingly the key to keeping them around.  I have not done this myself but aquarists I worked with did so and some did the breeding out of their houses.  I know their reputation is that they are difficult but it's seemingly more about ensuring that your kreisel or jelly system is actually functioning and not trapping them.

By the way, you can make a kreisel pretty easily - I have made them out of plastic fishbowls in a 10-20 gallon tank and it works just fine.  Not a complicated design by any means and the curved piece of acrylic works well, too (use kydex so that it's flexible without heat).

We have one that I bought at MACNA 2015 (from Jellyfishart.com) as they were closing up shop. They gave me 4 jellies with it and we brought them to the school we work at and kept them in the library (my wife is the the librarian). We took them home over winter break and spring break and brought them back to school after the breaks.

For several months they seemed to do really well. They required weekly 1 gal water changes and occasional tank cleaning (can't remember the schedule). I brought in RODI water from home and we stuck to the schedule with no problem. Eventually they started shrinking (like one at a time) and by late April or early May we were down to just 1 jelly that slowly shrunk down to almost nothing. When they get too tiny they start getting caught up in the grid at the bottom of the tank and it goes down hill from there. Once they get below a certain size they seem to loose the ability to stay suspended. Since the others had also slowly shrunk we had experimented a lot with the airflow to regulate the water rotation speed. We had seen one or two of them shrink but then grow again so I'm not sure what the issue was. I don't know if the food got old/went bad or what. Since we weren't here on weekends they missed out on those feedings, but the jellyfish people had said that wouldn't be an issue. Also, as they got smaller I would occasionally scoop them out with a cup and feed them in the cup. That enabled me to create a denser cloud of food without polluting the main tank and gave them a chance to grab more of it as opposed to what they could collect just drifting around in the tank.

I don't feel like we did a very good job so we have been hesitant about buying more jellies but we still might try it again.

We have one that I bought at MACNA 2015 (from Jellyfishart.com) as they were closing up shop. They gave me 4 jellies with it and we brought them to the school we work at and kept them in the library (my wife is the the librarian). We took them home over winter break and spring break and brought them back to school after the breaks.

For several months they seemed to do really well. They required weekly 1 gal water changes and occasional tank cleaning (can't remember the schedule). I brought in RODI water from home and we stuck to the schedule with no problem. Eventually they started shrinking (like one at a time) and by late April or early May we were down to just 1 jelly that slowly shrunk down to almost nothing. When they get too tiny they start getting caught up in the grid at the bottom of the tank and it goes down hill from there. Once they get below a certain size they seem to loose the ability to stay suspended. Since the others had also slowly shrunk we had experimented a lot with the airflow to regulate the water rotation speed. We had seen one or two of them shrink but then grow again so I'm not sure what the issue was. I don't know if the food got old/went bad or what. Since we weren't here on weekends they missed out on those feedings, but the jellyfish people had said that wouldn't be an issue. Also, as they got smaller I would occasionally scoop them out with a cup and feed them in the cup. That enabled me to create a denser cloud of food without polluting the main tank and gave them a chance to grab more of it as opposed to what they could collect just drifting around in the tank.

I don't feel like we did a very good job so we have been hesitant about buying more jellies but we still might try it again.

Good story, even with the outcome. It's valuable as a lesson learned - or at least an experience. Hopefully, we'll have an opportunity to learn what happened and how we can do better the next time.  :)

You may consider this to be cheating or off-topic, but I decided to add a few upside-down jellies to my last KP Aquatics order.  They don't need a Kreisel or anything fancy, just low flow and a surface to lie on.  Here is one of mine, about 2" across.  Sorry about the crummy photo, but they have both managed to land in hard-to-photograph spots.

5033Jelly030417-1024x683.jpg

We'll see how they do in the long term.  In theory, they should be pretty easy to keep.  They live in mangroves and shallow pools that experience wide swings in temperature and salinity.  Here are a few members of a large group we found in a few inches of water in a ditch by the side of the road.

4818_JelliesMargate011317sm-1024x683.jpg

Maybe not as mesmerizing as moon jellies, but still kind of cool.

https://youtu.be/Vato1ga7g2I

Joanna saw them after a long, lousy day and it cheered her right up.

• 1 month later...

Jellyfish talk at Spring meeting!

Yep! Thanks for the bump, Tim!

We've got two jelly tanks in the raffle, too!