Taped a lenses to my phone

mari.harutunian

first is probably a hydroid, but there are a few kinds that are really tiny and often show up in the beginnings of a newish tank and then just disappear.

Similarly, if the flatworm is really small, like 1mm long or so, it's probably also a harmless one.  The Acropora Eating flatworms are much larger.  

The tubeworm is also harmless and the last one is surely a pod.  It's cool you can see so much with your phone.

first is probably a hydroid, but there are a few kinds that are really tiny and often show up in the beginnings of a newish tank and then just disappear.

Similarly, if the flatworm is really small, like 1mm long or so, it's probably also a harmless one. The Acropora Eating flatworms are much larger.

The tubeworm is also harmless and the last one is surely a pod. It's cool you can see so much with your phone.

Awesome :) glad they're harmless. And yeah the lens I taped on is like from a telescope that I can't find anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wry creative way to repurpose lenses! And awesome pictures!

After looking at what all lives in a single drop of water under the microscope I think twice about starting a syphon with my mouth now lol

https://vimeo.com/200511763

Idk how well this video will work but I always thought this little swimmers were pods or snail larvae... would love a concrete identity

Yeah the quality is pretty awful... idk how to make it clear like it is on my phone...

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/9/breeder

Mysidopsis species are omnivorous and cannibalistic, feeding on diatoms and small crustaceans such as copepods

Interesting. Haven't seen any big ones anywhere though... maybe I should use a flash light at night....

Mine stayed small. And the bigger ones were smart enough to stay hidden from fish under rock. I could only spot them because I run a bare bottom and could look from underneath. But again, the bigger ones are still small. From what I understand mysis are different than mysid. The mysis are the frozen fresh water packaged ones you buy at the store and mysid are the smaller ones found in our tanks.

Yep. sometimes when the tank water is dark and they're swimming around you can see them because their eyes are reflective when you shine in a dim flashlight.

Yep. sometimes when the tank water is dark and they're swimming around you can see them because their eyes are reflective when you shine in a dim flashlight.

Oh weird.... that's kind of creepy

Mine stayed small. And the bigger ones were smart enough to stay hidden from fish under rock. I could only spot them because I run a bare bottom and could look from underneath. But again, the bigger ones are still small. From what I understand mysis are different than mysid. The mysis are the frozen fresh water packaged ones you buy at the store and mysid are the smaller ones found in our tanks.

This is a great idea.  I should have figured out a way to have my new bare bottom visible from underneath.  Maybe I'll try cutting out some of the non-structural top of the stand I built.

This is a great idea. I should have figured out a way to have my new bare bottom visible from underneath. Maybe I'll try cutting out some of the non-structural top of the stand I built.

Just keep in mind any part that has light hit it get covered in coralline. And some dead spots get covered in debris. It was also a very rare occasion when I went underneath to enjoy the tank lol so you should be fine. It was extremely nice getting a visual when I would lose a frag under a rock though!

Similarly, if the flatworm is really small, like 1mm long or so, it's probably also a harmless one. The Acropora Eating flatworms are much larger.

The tubeworm is also harmless and the last one is surely a pod. It's cool you can see so much with your phone.

Can hydroids move like jellyfish? If so, there's one trying to swim around when I turned the powerhead off

• 3 weeks later...

Now I am going to have to try this and see if I see any in my tanks.

The kids and I take a flash light out in the yard and look for spiders. Their eyes will reflect also.