Fluval Evo 13.5 - opinions requested

04svtfoci

I lost my tank years ago during hurricane Sandy, never rebuilt it with a pending marriage and moving at that time. Years later I have some time again and have been researching and found the Fluval evo 13.5 the youtube reviewers seem to like it, and you can add the purpose built protein skimmer into the overflow area. Having never owned fluval equipment I wanted to get anyone who has experience with this tanks opinions on how well it runs and especially on the light situation. It comes with LEDs at 14k and i think it might be ok for some zoas and other softies but I was hoping to do some LPS and eventually SPS in the tank as well. I guess if i need to remove the pretty hood and get a new light eventually not a big deal but being out of the hobby for so long LEDs are something i know diddly about.

I think you should look into an Innovative marine instead.  IMO much better tanks in the relative same price point.    

And I honestly doubt the light on the fluval would be able to do SPS.  Pocillopora maybe but nothing else.

Edited by sethsolomon

I lost my tank years ago during hurricane Sandy, never rebuilt it with a pending marriage and moving at that time. Years later I have some time again and have been researching and found the Fluval evo 13.5 the youtube reviewers seem to like it, and you can add the purpose built protein skimmer into the overflow area. Having never owned fluval equipment I wanted to get anyone who has experience with this tanks opinions on how well it runs and especially on the light situation. It comes with LEDs at 14k and i think it might be ok for some zoas and other softies but I was hoping to do some LPS and eventually SPS in the tank as well. I guess if i need to remove the pretty hood and get a new light eventually not a big deal but being out of the hobby for so long LEDs are something i know diddly about.

I've been running an Evo 5 since september, has zoas (low-med price) and lps (war corals, favia, blastos, lepastrea and acans) doing quite well in it.  I would not expect it to handle SPS well though.

I figured the light wouldn't handle SPS but wanted to be sure. My old fixture on my 50 was a t5/halide combo and it did well, guess ill have to put in some time reading on the latest and greatest to see whats the LED's have to offer.

• 4 months later...

post-2636405-0-25675600-1495470169_thumb.jpg

Go for It!!!!

Great Great Tank!!!

Very well build.

I purchase mine 13, 5 for 135$

Of course you will need some filter modifications by removing a sponge.

Lights are great for LPS zoas and softies but not for SPS

(edited)

I think you should look into an Innovative marine instead. IMO much better tanks in the relative same price point.

And I honestly doubt the light on the fluval would be able to do SPS. Pocillopora maybe but nothing else.

I have the fluval marine 90(36 gallon) and I used the fluval sea 2.0 reef light and I did not like it. I had to turn it on and off manually and the timers are additional money and don't work very well. I've also seen the light that fits over their 5 gallon tank and with the wifi module it has a good timer but the LEDs and heat sink are much the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mari.harutunian