Surgery and Supermodels

Origami

Normally, this would be a Refugium topic and would be visible only to supporting members. However, since it affects club operations in general, I'll post it here.

I've got a (recently diagnosed) heart problem and will undergo (major - open heart) surgery next Thursday to correct a failing (mitral) valve and another procedure to adjust the "timing circuits" in my heart. My recovery is expected to take six or more weeks. The first couple of weeks (at least) will be rough (as my chest heals), and I expect to be absent from the Boards and probably taking it easy. So, if you send me a note and I don't respond, you'll know why.

I informed the WAMAS Board and other community leaders of my situation a couple of weeks ago, and they pledged to help keep the community running smoothly. We've got a good team here and I have all the faith in the world that you all will be in good hands. Let me recap those that may be able to help you should you need assistance:

Craig Kuhn (President Emeritus) - aka Gatortailale

Doug Arthur (President Emeritus) - aka dbartco

Laura Sharkey (VP) - aka Sharkey18

Hilary Foster (Secretary) - aka Hilary

Scott Friedman (Treasurer) - aka Scott711

Isaac Bell (Membership Director) - aka YHSublime

Chip Frederick (Moderator) - aka flowerseller

Alan Munter (Moderator) - aka AlanM

These are people that I count on and have every confidence that you, too, may rely on them.

I'm looking forward to meeting all those supermodel nurses that Paul B always refers to.  :laugh:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 weeks isnt bad when you think about the fact that they are working on your heart. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

This for letting us know. I will put a prayer in with the big guy above for you.

On the bright side, you will have no excuse to sit (or lie) infront front of your tank and just enjoy it.  Its very relaxing, Doctor's order.

Be well

Well wishes. We will talk to you soon

I'm looking forward to meeting all those supermodel nurses that Paul B always refers to.  :laugh:

Oh No Tom, what did you do? I will be praying for you and of course will lend you some Suprmodels. I had shoulder surgery a few weeks ago and the Supermodels were very instrumental in my recovery.

Tom,

I'm sure everything will be fine !    You will have a speedy recovery as long as you can relax and chill.... watch you tank.

If you need any help with your tank help, let me know!

Curtis

I'm looking forward to meeting all those supermodel nurses that Paul B always refers to. :laugh:

I wondered why you used the topic title you used.

I wish you well, and for an easy recovery!

Oh No Tom, what did you do? I will be praying for you and of course will lend you some Suprmodels. I had shoulder surgery a few weeks ago and the Supermodels were very instrumental in my recovery.

Thanks, everybody. It'll be rough but it'll be OK, too. I'd hoped that they could do this without cracking me open this way, but because of the additional complication, this is the best and most expedient way in. Thankfully, I have a great surgeon (though I'll have to travel a ways to get to him).

Paul, I'm not sure that I can pinpoint exactly what happened except to say that, over the years, the valve probably stretched and got a bit sloppy. Even then, it did it's job until, it appears, a few choradae (think of parachute lines on a parachute) gave way and the valve began leaking badly (now think of that parachute bleeding air off one side as the chords dangle). Then, because the pressure in my left atrium soared (because the valve was no longer acting as a check valve), it began to stretch. This added atrial fibrillation on top of the leaking valve problem. The best I can tell, I was unknowingly experiencing symptoms back in mid-October during a hike at Harpers Ferry, WV. It may have been much earlier than that. Maybe even early summer as I began to feel a bit winded even after short walks or relatively light exertion. I'd thought it was something else. I'm glad to have caught it but, of course, wish it was never an issue in the first place. 

Good luck Tom, I hope all goes well.  As far as WAMAS there is plenty of support here, don't worry about this board!!  (ps I wont cause any trouble till you get back on, LOL)

Thanks for explaining it Tom. One of my closest friends had almost the exact same procedure last year and now he is better than ever. Of course I am still better looking.  :rolleyes:

I am sure you will also be better than ever and your reef may also look better.

The first few days are a little rough as you know, but then it is all downhill and the Supermodels will take care of you.

Get well soon Buddy. :cool: