Seth's 225g Peninsula Full reef

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boats and ho's!

Love the rockwork man, I hope everything comes together as planned! Are you going to use o my the two reflectors you have in the hood?

Yah. I still need to mount the vhos I have sitting in my fish room until I can swap them for 4 bulb t5 retros. I do have some lumenbright larges I could use but they would be sitting a about 3 inches from the water level. If I could track down another lumenmax elite se reflector I would use those.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very nice!! Love the rock work.

thanks!  1 week and I can put a tester coral or 2 in and maybe my first fish if I find one I like.   Kinda pondering a powder blue since Dutchman's Reef has a bunch right now.

Got some new gems cooking in my 70g waiting for this tank to be ready!IMG_20161207_190316_zpsolvcx4cn.jpgIMG_20161207_190310_zpssdhndsc6.jpgIMG_20161207_190303_zpssdboud4l.jpgIMG_20161207_190257_zpsj8hkvpqp.jpg

I hope you get that odd blue one to grow out well, that one was hard to let go.

Cool video, I wish I would have taken videos of my other reefs. Let me know if you find any other halide reflectors for cheap while your looking. I may add halides to half the tank upstairs if not the whole thing.

I hope you get that odd blue one to grow out well, that one was hard to let go.

Cool video, I wish I would have taken videos of my other reefs. Let me know if you find any other halide reflectors for cheap while your looking. I may add halides to half the tank upstairs if not the whole thing.

I have some lumenbright larges I would sell so I can buy lumenmax elites

• 2 weeks later...

You going to crack the bottle then glue it back together? Or are you using this more for corals to encrust?

• 5 weeks later...

So update time!

Tested the TDS in my RO/DI reservoir and it was at 185 TDS. So decided to change my filters as this is probably what was causing my Diatom problem.  While I was changing my filters I was thinking about how the hobby has changed and how I have changed how I participate in the hobby and I realized I was getting too caught up in the "high end corals" and trying to make money from the hobby.  This is causing me to skimp on focusing on making my display all that it can be instead making room for storing frags.   

Over the next month or two these are my goals for my tank:

• Rehome the devil wrasse lurking in my sump  (Scarlet pinstripe wrasse:  free to anyone who wants it.  PM me if you're interested.  Would be a good addition to a tank with puffers and the like)
  • Clean up and sell/trade my zoa grow out disks
  • Move my skimmer into the chamber that is currently housing my zoa colonies
  • build a reactor for growing gracilaria to supplement my tang's diet
  • get my tank to a rock solid 7.8-8 dkh constant (Currently at 7.2 and slowly rising)
  • start culturing phyto so I can get some of the NPS gorgonians and a feather starfish.  I still need to figure out an efficient container to grow phyto in.  If anyone has any ideas post here.
  • get acropower on a dosing pump so I can get a consistant addition to the tank.  I have always done the glug methodology on this but I think if I get it more consistent I will get much better results.  PM me if you have a BRS 1.1 ML/M doser that you would be willing to trade for coral/some other equipment I have.
  • Swap my garbage DA float switches out for my Hydor ATO.  My floats keep getting stuck causing my ato to over fill.

But over the years I have lost touch of what this hobby is really about. Providing the best care we possibly can for the creatures we bring into our lives. I used to give frags of corals I liked to people I was close to in the hobby in case I had something happen to my tank but I have not done this in the last 3 years. I need to start doing this again.

And video update and some pictures.

https://youtu.be/_8QAi9j1X-k

IMG_20170117_101820_zpsssy2slwg.jpg

IMG_20170117_101832_zpscuaodb0c.jpg

IMG_20170117_101838_zpsrqbl9kug.jpg

Thanks for sharing Seth.  I wouldn't be surprised if your leopard wrasse is the big dog in your tank even with the tangs haha. He looks crazy!  I'm digging the clams as well.

Thanks for sharing Seth.  I wouldn't be surprised if your leopard wrasse is the big dog in your tank even with the tangs haha. He looks crazy!  I'm digging the clams as well.

He is actually supper passive.  He could care less about the other fish.  All he ever does is hunts for pods.  I have not even seen him acknowledge any of the other fish  :P

So  had my RO/DI reservoir solenoid fail last night.  Thankfully I had the rubber lined bottom of my stand.  All of it was in the stand and not on the floor.   Apparently my stand holds about 15 gallons of water  :P 

• 3 weeks later...

Well got sick of loosing fish to them stopping eating. So decided to make a QT system to make sure they are eating, and fat and happy before they go to the main tank. So adding a month in the QT tanks before going to the main system.

a81d12cc76e760443ca524e948aea744.jpg7960be7d87021d4e76d9e972c0d770d0.jpgbce02b4bcd1be3d3df248a821054dbd0.jpg79d629f919372c19b68f6fd05c4017cb.jpg