My 325 in Sterling VA!

TonyB13

How can you tell if its cyano or coraline algae

, I don't have any on the sand just on the rocks

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Cyano is like a film and will blow off with a turkey baster. Coraline encrusts and is hard.

Here is a good resourse for you:

https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cyano will rub off easily with a toothbrush because it's filmy. Coraline is a hard (calcareous) and bonds to the rock. 

I just had my first experience with cyano. I used chemi-clean and it was completely gone in 2 days, it's been a week now and now sign of it returning yet

But doing some reading. I found out that iv wont kill cyano, but i will slow it down and see im pretty sure it is lower than recommended. Its definitely cyano because it blows off with power head also getting air bubbles trapped on and in the rocks and sand not sure if its air or some other gas.

I checked my flow rate on my uv and its only 360 gallons per hour

what's the correct flow rate on that unit for algae/bacteria or protoza? not only is flow critical but lamp and sleeve condition and how it is plumbed.

Well its on my manifold and returns to my sump so some recirculating. And 440 gphis what is suggested but slower should be better in my opinion

So i put the 200 micron filter socks on and just in 24 hours what a difference. The gunk clogged the sock so i put new ones in and this weekend i will by six more.

So i put the 200 micron filter socks on and just in 24 hours what a difference. The gunk clogged the sock so i put new ones in and this weekend i will by six more.

Keep on the filter sock changing and they work awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

So i had the fortune or misfortune to try both ati hybrid and giesmann aurora.

So i bought two 48 inch ati 8 bulb hybrids, and on one of the lights the time would not updated from the computer and I had to manually set the clock, so I called ati and after they updated the system, both light fixtures stopped working from the computer. Nothing wrong besides the fact that the time would not updated. I was assured that within a week i would have a fix, which didn't happen. So talked to brs and decided to return the atis and get giesmann aurora. Just got the giessmans up last night. At first glance way less light but i haven't finished adjusting them. I am really disgusted with the price that I payed for these lights and the fact that instructions are reallynonexistent. The big reason for returning the atis was if they couldn't fix something so minor what if i had a really big issue later. I am not sure im going to be happy with the amount of light coming out of giessmans but i will update asap. Being able to set up light from my phone is a pretty nice feature. The ati advertise that it does cloud cover it does not. As for the fixtures both are very nice the giessmans seem a little more sturdy but i was happy with my atis wish they would have been able to fix my little issue and given me thewarm and fuzzies. Brs was wonderful through this whole ordeal as always.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for some frags if anyone has any hookups no softies. Willing to pay for good stuff

Looking for some frags if anyone has any hookups no softies. Willing to pay for good stuff

What are you looking for? Sps? Zoas? Lps?

Also, there are some pretty sweet softies out there

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

What a nice lazy snow day! cleaned my saltwater mix tank, wow so much crud on the bottom, i must have pulled out a good bit of what looks like tan mud or sand but feels good.

Now what I need more coral:)

So I am looking at aquarium monitors, is Apex the only one that will send you email and text alerts or is there another brand ?

I want salinity and PH and temp, dont need light controller or power head controller.

Email alerts would be a big reason for getting a controller, are there any other ways to achieve that with out the apex .

I am really not good with programing and stuff I just want simple easy plug and play.
Thanks,Tony

IMHO, you don't want the salinity probe as it requires constant cleaning and calibration- the technology/reliability just isn't there yet.

pH probe only needed if you're running a pH controller, otherwise it's one of those number chasing devices that gives off readings in numbers that don't necessarily mean much, since most tanks run i the range of 7.8-8.3 and most critters adjust easily to differing pH.

So is that all its good for, and again anyway to get a message if power goes out at home without spending almost a 1000 bucks on controler