My 325 in Sterling VA!

TonyB13

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i think im starting to see either diatom or algae bloom starting in my tank my phosphate was 0.05 last time I checked. I was under the impression that you don't get algae if u have low phosphate or nutrients

great build so far. i would take your time with the nitrogen and algal cycles. rob mentioned this to you earlier in this thread and you'll find great benefit from slowing down without any new additions and allowing your tank's micro and macro fauna to mature, grow, and system to stabilize before any new additions be it coral or fish.

thanks for sharing and posting up photos, it's a good looking build!

Edited by monkiboy

right. just wait it out. think and research back up plans and emergency response plans and equipment, fine tune your stocking list and order, figure out your water change system/components, burn your new bulbs in properly, etc

That's a little high if you are trying to run a low nutrient system. I use to try not to let mine get over 0.05.

Thanks i guess time to switch out my gfo because it was down to 0.05, waiting for my biopellet reactor to kick in its only been up for a couple of weeks and only has half the recommended amount of pellets in it

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I am not going add anything else just gonna let it run and wait for the diatoms to die off, The Diatoms are blooming pretty good. So I was watching a vivid aquarium video and he was saying to use yeast to kill off the diatoms not planning on trying that just wondering what that's all about

It's not an ugly mess- it's part of the cycle. Diatoms first, then a filamentous algae phase and then some cyanobacteria. All of which you won't like, but is absolutely needed in order for you to have a successful reef tank.

Don't even think of using yeast or some other snake oil to inhibit or stop growth of any one particular thing in the tank unless you want further, unknown repercussions down the line. NO GFO either!

Oh no gfo, well I will have to take mine offline, should I disturb the sand and try to blow off the rocks?

My skimmer is pulling out some really stinky stuff but its not steady it comes in waves, if that makes any sense so it will foam up real good next time I look no foam and the bubbles have gone back down

My skimmer is pulling out some really stinky stuff but its not steady it comes in waves, if that makes any sense so it will foam up real good next time I look no foam and the bubbles have gone back down

Sounds like the skimmer is overpowered for your current bio-load. At this point in your build that's a good thing. You don't want a skimmer that has to work overtime to keep up with the tank with only a few fish in it.

Diatoms seem to be dying off some rocks are completely clear21ce7c33177d5407ef49fdf15bde1caa.jpg

When I clean my filter socks smells like the ocean pretty cool i hope

• 2 weeks later...