Mass spawning of 2800 transplanted Acropora

Origami

From AdvancedAquarist.com:

"Researchers report a large-scale synchronous spawning of ~2800 colonies of outplanted Acropora tenuis in Okinawa, Japan. This is a different method of reef restoration than what many of us are familiar with - one which promotes genetic diversity through natural reproduction."

Read more about it here.

• 7 months later...

Dont know how I missed this article previously. Awesome to see the restoration attempts; the war was brutal on Okinawa's reefs (and water quality) but things have really turned around. I spent about two and half years out there ('03-04 then again in '13-14) and loved snorkeling. Even in that span there was a noticeable difference. 

Dont know how I missed this article previously. Awesome to see the restoration attempts; the war was brutal on Okinawa's reefs (and water quality) but things have really turned around. I spent about two and half years out there ('03-04 then again in '13-14) and loved snorkeling. Even in that span there was a noticeable difference. 

As a teenager back in the mid-70's, I snorkeled off what was then Naha Air Base. The waters were loaded with SPS back then; long spine urchins, cukes, blue linkia stars, reef fishes... great memories. Unfortunately, the reef there was buried some years later when engineers lengthened and widened the runways there. 

Coincidentally, the whale shark picture in my avatar was taken by me while diving off Okinawa about a decade ago.

As a teenager back in the mid-70's, I snorkeled off what was then Naha Air Base. The waters were loaded with SPS back then; long spine urchins, cukes, blue linkia stars, reef fishes... great memories. Unfortunately, the reef there was buried some years later when engineers lengthened and widened the runways there. 

Coincidentally, the whale shark picture in my avatar was taken by me while diving off Okinawa about a decade ago.

There are some great spots still; the Sunabe seawall (off what is now Kadena air base) is doing quite well, Maeda has some nice areas, and there are some great spots a ways out off of Okuma. Also some neat areas we hit on the next island over near White Beach (cant recall the name off the top of my head). 

There are some great spots still; the Sunabe seawall (off what is now Kadena air base) is doing quite well, Maeda has some nice areas, and there are some great spots a ways out off of Okuma. Also some neat areas we hit on the next island over near White Beach (cant recall the name off the top of my head). 

Very familiar with Kadena AB. (I was born there and we were back in the 70's. In fact, I went to Kubasaki HS for a year.) The whale shark picture in my avatar was taken at a dive spot a little ways off Sunabe. I dove waters there and off the Seawall with a Marine friend that I met in an online dive forum back about 10 years ago. Never dived Okuma, only passed through it on the way to Nago and to Hedo Point. Also never dived White Beach.