Nitrates.

Joshifer

I never thought I'd say this. I need nitrates. The ghost feeding everyday isn't budging it. I'm afraid of my bacteria dying. It's staying at 0. Feeding everyday. Even using Liquids like Seachem zooplankton. I also removed the Purigen.

I don't know what to do. Tank is Euph dominated. The Xenia looks dead and the GSP won't open. Euphs are only like 20% open from what they were when the fish was in the tank.

Pure ammonia and prime? I don't know, only thing I did was my weekly water change. Which In hind sight I shouldn't of done so I can keep the nitrates I had. Which were only 5.

I'm not doing the ammonia thing unless everyone thinks I should do it.

Is their such a thing as a fish that's immune to velvet? Even a convertible fresh water fish?. After meeting Tom the other day and discussing it. We both agreed on velvet vs brook or ich.

Ammonia nitrates nitrite 0.

PH 7.8 (I don't know why but I ain't messing with it)

Calcium 480

Those are the only kits I have.

Edited by Joshifer

Josh, the 20% water change that you performed would have, at most, dropped your nitrates from 5 to 4 (that's a drop of 20%). If your nitrates are now at zero, it's because it's being consumed by something (not because of a partial water change). By adding food, you're adding source material that, when it decays, creates ammonia. That's subsequently converted to nitrite and then nitrate by bacteria.  If something is nitrate-starved, it may grab it and you'll never really get a chance to measure it. 

If you don't have rising ammonia, then you're not killing off your bacteria.

Is anything else going on in the house or in the room where the tank is? Is there an air freshener somewhere? Anything that might be putting something in the air that might dissolve in the water? Any new coral additions? You may have a coral incompatibility - possible allelopathy (chemical warfare) between the Euphyllia and other corals in the tank. You don't have any leather corals in the tank now, do you? Also, how close is the hammer to the xenia? 

Is anything else going on in the house or in the room where the tank is? Is there an air freshener somewhere? Anything that might be putting something in the air that might dissolve in the water? Any new coral additions? You may have a coral incompatibility - possible allelopathy (chemical warfare) between the Euphyllia and other corals in the tank. You don't have any leather corals in the tank now, do you? Also, how close is the hammer to the xenia?

Umm euphs are on the left side of the tank. The only softies I has left was a GSP and Xenia their on the right side. I know it's not like the tanks huge but they are seperated a foot. No cleaners or anything my wife knows not to spray around the tank since the windex incident a few years ago lol. Nothing new. The frogspawn you gave me is in the QT. which is cycled and fully open. its getting natural sunlight in the day. And at night after sunset I set it to start over lower and I move the light over to the QT.

As you said before its pH shock. From the water change. It went from 8.4 to 7.8. I'm afraid of trying to raise it myself. Hoping it'll balance itself out. My main concern is the bacteria dying and everything just crashing.

Do you have an alkalinity test kit? Might want to check that. Double check salinity, too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

(edited)

Do you have an alkalinity test kit? Might want to check that. Double check salinity, too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't have an alk kit I never see them in stores. I just checked the SG it's 1.025

Edited by Joshifer

How did you check SG (hydrometer, refractometer, etc.) and is your measurement device calibrated? (Do you have calibration fluid?)

If your relative pH measurements are accurate, then it bothers me that it's not come up yet. I would have thought that it would have, over the last day or so, aerated and come to balance back around where you started. If it hasn't, it possibly indicates 1) low alkalinity, 2) bad salt, 3) bad change water preparation (low salinity?), 4) addition of some outside acid source.... just a few thoughts.

How did you check SG (hydrometer, refractometer, etc.) and is your measurement device calibrated? (Do you have calibration fluid?)

If your relative pH measurements are accurate, then it bothers me that it's not come up yet. I would have thought that it would have, over the last day or so, aerated and come to balance back around where you started. If it hasn't, it possibly indicates 1) low alkalinity, 2) bad salt, 3) bad change water preparation (low salinity?), 4) addition of some outside acid source.... just a few thoughts.

Both hydro and refract. And yes I used fluids. The PH I'm checking with api. High range pH. I thought the salt was bad too so I used another bag. Let it sit over night with an air stone heater. Power head. I'm preparing it at 1.025 with distilled water. ill check the PH again now. I know it'll be lower cus it's night.

(edited)

Wait I did add a phosgaurd pack a few days ago. Think it's that? I actually forgot about it. I think it's been in there since Saturday.

Edited by Joshifer

Wait I did add a phosgaurd pack a few days ago. Think it's that?

Is that about when you saw the Xenia start drooping?

(edited)

Is that about when you saw the Xenia start drooping?

Yeah. I forgot all about it I installed it in the media tray and got a work call and stuck it in while I was giving a price quote. I'll remove it now.

Edited by Joshifer

Bad Salt?  Is there such a thing?  It IS the last of a quite old bag that was left over...

I started a new tank and the pH reports way low and the alkalinity is way high.  I have fresh. I'll do a water change this weekend. thx

Bad Salt? Is there such a thing? It IS the last of a quite old bag that was left over...

I started a new tank and the pH reports way low and the alkalinity is way high. I have fresh. I'll do a water change this weekend. thx

It could be "bad" salt if it mixes to incorrect levels. This is more likely from salt that has settled or has been exposed to moisture. I usually mix new bags/buckets to help minimize this. Also, look out for salt that has hardened. It's typically a good practice to test the levels of your water from a new batch of salt. I some cases the salt mix can be defective, but I think this is less likely.

Thanks.  All of that happened to that old bag of salt. My kids say I'm cheap, I say I'm "frugal." ;>

I have new salt, I'll do a water change this weekend.  Thx

It could be "bad" salt if it mixes to incorrect levels. This is more likely from salt that has settled or has been exposed to moisture. I usually mix new bags/buckets to help minimize this. Also, look out for salt that has hardened. It's typically a good practice to test the levels of your water from a new batch of salt. I some cases the salt mix can be defective, but I think this is less likely.

Josh the next time you come over bring about a cup of water and I will test your Alk, and phosphates...

Okay thanks Dan. May be a while. I'm on house arrest. (Fallow) lol. Gonna raid your frag tanks for Christmas tho :)