Bristleworms good or bad?

Mattb1612

So I was watching movie on the couch and I went to grab a beer passed the tank and to my surprise I spot bristle worm. I have never seen one before but it has to be. It was 4 inches long and have spikes on its side slightly reddish. So the question is how do I remove it? Should I remove it? Will it hurt anything(corals, fish shrimp)? The rock is 2 years old the previous owner bought it off of BRS. So it could have come in on that or could it have come in on coral? Anyways thanks for any help!

Iv never had to deal with them myself. Iv heard a lot of mixed opinions on bristle worms. They actually do a pretty good job as part of the cleaner crew. Most people Iv heard from have never had one disturb there corals. A lot of people remove the big ones because they thought they looked gross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good unless in plague proportions.

If they're in plague proportions, thats a good indicator that you have large amounts of nutrient build up or un eaten food.

I've seen a bristleworm spawning event that turned a 90 gallon tank milky white. There were millions of them....

Oh boy. Well I know I over feed a little I'm trying to get better at it but my tang and potter hide in the rock work then sneak up when the see food floating and nibble then go back to the rocks they are the hardest to feed. Maybe I'll get a coral banded shrimp are they good cuc

I think they're awesome! The biodiversity of a reef tank is one of the things I enjoy most. I've had some decent sized ones but I've never seen one do harm in 20+ years. I'm sure there are instances of it happening but I have never witnessed such event. This one was going to town on a clam that was dying (sickly at time of purchase) in my tank (about five years ago I imagine).

P1000542.jpg

There are a couple of ways to make an effective bristleworm trap. Some use a capped- PVC pipe with holes drilled along the side and weight and bait inside. Just google it. This guy's trap is slightly different, but the basic approach is the same. If the holes are small, the hermits can't get in.

Here's another link from Reefbuilders.

There are a couple of ways to make an effective bristleworm trap. Some use a capped- PVC pipe with holes drilled along the side and weight and bait inside. Just google it. This guy's trap is slightly different, but the basic approach is the same. If the holes are small, the hermits can't get in.

Here's another link from Reefbuilders.

Brilliant!

Edited by madweazl

The chains in his tank are confusing me. Maybe he's into S&M.

It is a seahorse tank. Plastic chains are a cheap and very easy way to provide tons of hitches for the seahorses.

It is a seahorse tank. Plastic chains are a cheap and very easy way to provide tons of hitches for the seahorses.

Ooh. I never had seahorses so I don't know lol

I like them they don't seem to harm anything that I've noticed. I find them in the overflow box where they eat and get large.some say the bristles get stuck in your hand like little needles. Get some rough hands and won't hurt one bit

I wish I could have recorded this from the beginning. It's kind of cool watching these shrooms catching things.

Edited by treesprite

Whatever you do, don't touch them

brstle2-1.jpg

Whatever you do, don't touch them

brstle2-1.jpg

That's why I wear gloves when I have to touch the rocks. I try to avoid disturbing the rocks.

Edited by Joshifer

Bet PaulB has some ginormous ones in his tank!

If he sees that, it's going to prompt him to make a really funny bristleworm story post.

I don't have any bristleworm stories because those things scare me to death. I can't keep crabs, except hermits after they shed because the worms eat them. It's the same with clams, they eat them. Last night I heard a noise and I came downstairs to where my tank is and they were all lined up at the top of the tank with their elbows over the rim. I hate those things. The small ones are great scavengers but the big ones make to much noise with their antlers.

Edited by paul b

And there he is!

Paul, if you don't already have a book of your anecdotes, you need to write one.

Edited by treesprite