CLOSED (have started a new tank) NEW 29 Gallon LED Setup

(edited)

Hello Reef Buddies,

After a 2 year hiatus, I'm thinking about setting up a new and bigger SPS/Fish tank. Unfortunately, I do not have a dedicated room for the tank, however finally I have space for a nice sized display tank.

I am looking for some ideas, plans that you would like to share. Since I am starting from scratch this time, I am willing to go slow and do it right!

Good to be back!!! I missed my reefing fam.!

Matt

Edited by Reefoholic

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back

Oh and welcome back! :)

thank you! Yup it is around those dimensions. I think I am looking for a 55 g at least so that I can have a tang in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm happy with my 40g breeder tank with 20g sump

Do you have any pics of your setup?

Thank you!

I think I will go up in the attic one of these days and bring out all my equipment. Clean them and start planning. I will share the plans with you guys here. I am more and more liking the idea of a 40g display and a 20g sump. That setup should give me enough space to have corals (hard and soft), and fishes.

Should I go bare bottom? I have never had a bare bottom tank before... All my tanks had a decent amount of live sand. Any ideas? PROs and CONs that you guys could share?

M

If you want wrasses you probably want sand unless you give them beds. Bare bottom tanks do look nice though. Have you thought about storage for all your equipment? In the stand? Separate cabinet? What equipment do you currently have? What lights are you planning on running?

I would like to either build a cabinet or get one and do some mods on it.

I have a protein skimmer, a three pump dosing pump, and a return pump that will need to go into my sump.

I am unsure if I should use my old-ass Aquaillumination SOL Blue or my other old-ass MH + T5 combo. The LEDs are so much easier and controllable to use and do not heat up, but in the past, I have gotten much better results from the MH + T5 combo.

LED's are nice. I run them. A lot of people will say they dont like them but I believe if you get the right configuration and spend some time with the settings you can get good results. I've been able to get good growth and then a few adjustments Ive been able to get good color.

LED's are nice. I run them. A lot of people will say they dont like them but I believe if you get the right configuration and spend some time with the settings you can get good results. I've been able to get good growth and then a few adjustments Ive been able to get good color.

With the SOLs? What is your secret combo? I swear to God, after I switched to the LEDs, my healthy flourishing staghorn died in a matter of weeks.

LED's are stronger and can be harsh at first. You have to start low. I have had it2040's and upgraded to it2080 and when I first got my lights I had them around max 40%. Even today I only have them at max 60% I believe. the it20xx series is nice because you can control the 2 channels separately. 

LED's are stronger and can be harsh at first. You have to start low. I have had it2040's and upgraded to it2080 and when I first got my lights I had them around max 40%. Even today I only have them at max 60% I believe. the it20xx series is nice because you can control the 2 channels separately. 

Since I am starting from scratch, it will be better this time. I will see how the LR reacts during acclimation and cycling. Maybe some coralline algae, wouldn't be too shabby...

I am planning on getting some SPS in after 4 or 5 months probably. I would like a very stable system before I venture out to hard corals. The less stress, the better.

Do you have any pics?

Nothing great. I have fts of my old 37g. My curreny 90g is pretty much an algae farm right now do to poor upkeep. Its starting to rebound though.

Here's an example of when I first switched to the 90 and having 2 different layouts of the it2040, hence me upgrading to one it2080.

94bd2920bc32098865dd79c56388ba27.jpg

Here's an example of when I first switched to the 90 and having 2 different layouts of the it2040, hence me upgrading to one it2080.

94bd2920bc32098865dd79c56388ba27.jpg

Looking good up there!

Proper and scheduled maintenance is the Captain America against any stubborn algae. Start with water changes and test test test your water. Been there done that...

Thanks. Most of those colors you see came from the 37 when I was running just one 2040.

I think there are a ton of factors you should think about before you make any decisions. Personally, I've worked with everything from a 14 gallon biocube all the way to a 180 gallon. My favorite of all of them has been my current 6 gallon Fluval Edge, which is by far the easiest of all of the many tanks I've ever had combined. With nothing but a the tank, a HOB fluval filter, and a small powerhead, I've been able to stay in the hobby with little work, and it's enjoyable.

That being said, I'm limited to my fish choices, coral choices, and just about everything that goes into the tank. It's also more of a challenge controlling pests, or nuisances that in a larger tank would be easier to overcome. See: 4 different types of algae (one of them being bubble algae) filter stopping from a power outage and killing off my clowns from lack of oxygenation, and having to have a very clear plan of what I want to keep, and the ability to understand you might not be able to do even that.

How much work can you put into it? Do you have a busy job? A demanding lifestyle (children, wife, other pets?) do you travel a lot? How long do you see yourself having a tank setup for? If you move are you planning on moving your tank with you? How much money do you have to invest, and how great are your DIY skills?

If you have you problem drilling, plumbing, and making a sump, then I say a 40 breeder is a perfect footprint (or buying it all!) The bigger tanks for me have always been awesome, and a great centerpiece, and conversation starter, but they have also been pretty high maintenance, and lets face it, more money. What does your ability to make water look like? Can you make enough on hand for a 100% water change? Perhaps an all in one (AIO) would be down your alley? Some of the nuvos are very nice, but they also come with their own set of challenges. Are you going to be satisfied with a 40 gallon breeder? Will you outgrow it quickly and want to move up to something else? Do you feel experienced enough to handle a smaller tank, or maybe you want a little bit of give and take with your water volume so changes aren't so drastic?

RE: Lights.

Per Rob, "it's light, it grows things."

Heat has always been a huge issue for me, as well as keeping tabs on my electric bill, so I've opted for LED's during most of my tenure in this hobby. I've had zero issues, however, this is a point of contention among hobbyists, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

RE: Barebottom

Do it. Plan to have the corals speak for themselves. Make sure you don't want to keep things like Wrasse or clams, or anything that might enjoy a sandbed. Get used to knowing your tank is super clean, and look forward to the coraline growing all over the bottom. At the end of the day, it's an aesthetic preference, of course after livestock.

Just a few thoughts from this guy for what they are worth.

Welcome back into the mix!

@YHSublime

Duuuudeee, thanks! I have been battling with all these questions myself ever since we moved into this new townhouse around 2 years ago. When we were moving, I got rid of my 20 gal display 10 gal SUMP setup and wanted to take a break for a little while. I think I am finally ready to get back in the game.

I think a 40 gal breeder is going to be just right for me since it will be enough to be a conversation starter and not too big to take up the whole room. I am thinking about setting it up in the living room, so that's why the cabinet/stand setup has to look finished (varnished, sanded, etc.).

I have a reverse osmosis unit (which I will need new filters for - hand to forehead!) so I can make couple of 5 gal batches of Saltwater and store in the attic.

I am going to be VERY selective when it comes to fish and corals this time. That being said, please start looking for YOUR donations to my tank (accepting SPS and Zoes)... hehe :cool: 

Barebottom = Less Algae???? Any experiences with that? -  In the past, my old tank only went through two disastrous algae attacks (hair algae and bubble algae - f@#$ing hate those  :blast:bubbles!)

Got these two babies from David today along with his 29gal tank. Excited!

7c02d6cca7b61686ffb9c104ca8b646a.jpg