Drilling Tank Ideas

jon_703

Soooo....I currently have a 75g tank that has been running for about 7 months now (not drilled). I will be getting a second 75g tank that I will have a local fish store drill for me.

Any ideas how I can transfer what I have in my tank now, which is:

Two Tangs

70lbs of rock

60lbs of sand

and a bunch of coral

The transfer may be taking place in a month or less. I am asking now so that I can be prepared for the transfer. I am hoping to make the whole transfer in one day.

Thanks!

Quantum Reefs in Springfield drills.

Was it difficult to drill yourself? and did you drill on the back of the tank or the bottom?

I heard drilling the bottom isn't recommended unless it comes like that from the factory.

Can you describe more about why you're replacing one 75g tank with another?  It's not clear to me if you're adding a tank, replacing the tank in a different location, or replacing the tank in the same location.

If possible, I would get the new tank up and running for a week or two before moving livestock.  That allows you to find and fix plumbing leaks, adjust flow rates, and make other hardware changes without endangering your livestock.  That way you're moving your livestock into a mechanically stable and safe system.

Most standard size tanks have tempered glass bottoms, which cannot be drilled. I drilled the back of my 75. I got a drill guide, which helped a lot. It took an unusual 2 hours to drill each hole, I think because I used a cheaper drill bit from BRS. Other people have said that it should only take 10 minutes.

Can you describe more about why you're replacing one 75g tank with another?  It's not clear to me if you're adding a tank, replacing the tank in a different location, or replacing the tank in the same location.

If possible, I would get the new tank up and running for a week or two before moving livestock.  That allows you to find and fix plumbing leaks, adjust flow rates, and make other hardware changes without endangering your livestock.  That way you're moving your livestock into a mechanically stable and safe system.

My current 75g is not drilled, so I am getting another 75g and getting that drilled to replace the one I have now

Most standard size tanks have tempered glass bottoms, which cannot be drilled. I drilled the back of my 75. I got a drill guide, which helped a lot. It took an unusual 2 hours to drill each hole, I think because I used a cheaper drill bit from BRS. Other people have said that it should only take 10 minutes.

I'd be scared to attempt to drill then crack it.

My current 75g was my first attempt at drilling and it was so easy. I imagine it was probably about seven minutes per hole but that is a total guess. I used dirt cheap hole saws from Amazon and didnt have any trouble at all. Once you do it you'll literally kick yourself for not doing it yourself all these years. 

My current 75g was my first attempt at drilling and it was so easy. I imagine it was probably about seven minutes per hole but that is a total guess. I used dirt cheap hole saws from Amazon and didnt have any trouble at all. Once you do it you'll literally kick yourself for not doing it yourself all these years.

What kind of drill bit did you use?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

"Drill, baby, drill."

If you're nervous, you can practice on a spare tank first. It probably took me 15 minutes per hole with the bits that came with a Glass Holes kit. I used my cheap Black and Decker cordless drill/driver with the torque limiter on the lowest setting to limit the risk from binding. Other than that, just keep your work wet and don't push. Some people recommend constant water flow but mine worked fine just with a little water poured onto the glass (tank was on its side).

Use a ring of plumbers putty to make a little pool of water around the spot you are drilling. It will keep the br submersed and cool until you start breaking through the other side at which point you are pretty much done and don't need to worry that much anymore.

Got one of these and one of these.

Wow, I can't believe how cheap those are.

I love drilling glass, but it takes a lot of patience and muscle tone.

Wow, I can't believe how cheap those are.

I love drilling glass, but it takes a lot of patience and muscle tone.

They worked just fine. Still have them (drilled two holes with each) but I'm not sure how many holes they're good for. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really hesitant to drill myself......

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

It's a lot easier then you think. I just got done drilling my brand new 220 with a little help and coaching from AlanM. I got my hole saw bites from glass holes and drilled 5 holes total. To keep water in hole I used putty as a dam around the hole I was drilling. To help keep drill from walking I made template out of a 1x4.

If you can drill a hole in a chunk of wood, you can drill a hole in a pane of glass. It's that easy.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk