Opinions on Wavemaker for my 90 Mixed Reef. MP40 or Gyre x150

AUFishGuy

I am currently running one Jebao RW-8 and one Koralia Evo 1150. I feel like this is way too little flow. Whatever i get i think I will keep at least one of these to help with deadspots in the back of the tank.

I was originally leaning towards the Gyre but have started to hear mixed reviews.

I love my gyre but I hate the maintenance process. If you watch some of the coralvue video's, they recommend soaking in vinegar and brushing around once a month. I just started using a MP-40 and I am happy so far.

I agree with that.. I bought one and the maintenance was horrible... I also didn't care for the linear and somewhat strong flow in certain areas...

I would get the mp40 and use the Rw8 on the opposite side...

I agree with that.. I bought one and the maintenance was horrible... I also didn't care for the linear and somewhat strong flow in certain areas...

I would get the mp40 and use the Rw8 on the opposite side...

gotcha this is what I am thinking as well. Just making sure the MP40 Will be much more powerful than the RW-8 correct?

MP-40, tried and true. I ran mine off the back of my tank if it's doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure it will be MUCH more powerful... those Rw8 move some water.. but the two combined would be perfect imo...

I'm not sure it will be MUCH more powerful... those Rw8 move some water.. but the two combined would be perfect imo...

That worries me. I originally had a RW8 on both sides till one went out and I never felt like i was moving enough water. With the one I have now the flow barely makes it halfway across the tank. And at least with the jebaos you can direct the flow.

Im worried that if the mp40 isnt that much stronger and since you cant change the direction that i will be spending a lot of money and not fixing my problem

That worries me. I originally had a RW8 on both sides till one went out and I never felt like i was moving enough water. With the one I have now the flow barely makes it halfway across the tank. And at least with the jebaos you can direct the flow.

Im worried that if the mp40 isnt that much stronger and since you cant change the direction that i will be spending a lot of money and not fixing my problem

You should anticipate the water you will move. The gyres will do a good job, but as mentioned, maintenance is no fun. Is your 90 4'? 2 MP's on the back wall will cover your tank. I ran 2 mp40s on a 150 gallon 6' with no problems. I then upgraded with 2 more jebaos, as well. Can't remember their make, but I was primarily SPS at the time.

Yea I feel like it would be plenty.. I run two rw4s and a small tunze with my return on my 120 and feel like it's good.. I'm not sps heavy tho... but everything sways and looks healthy

You should anticipate the water you will move. The gyres will do a good job, but as mentioned, maintenance is no fun. Is your 90 4'? 2 MP's on the back wall will cover your tank. I ran 2 mp40s on a 150 gallon 6' with no problems. I then upgraded with 2 more jebaos, as well. Can't remember their make, but I was primarily SPS at the time.

Yea its a 4ft tank. I dont really have tge funds to pony up for 2 mp40s so if one wont do it then I may just go with the Gyre. I have seen one at 70% on a 90 and it was way too much.I also wouldnt mind keeping both the koralia and jebao if getting the mp40 but if it isnt going to be significantly better than the jebao i might as well just get another rw8

Yea its a 4ft tank. I dont really have tge funds to pony up for 2 mp40s so if one wont do it then I may just go with the Gyre. I have seen one at 70% on a 90 and it was way too much.I also wouldnt mind keeping both the koralia and jebao if getting the mp40 but if it isnt going to be significantly better than the jebao i might as well just get another rw8

You could buy several jb for the mp price, call it a day. The ecotechs are just tried and true. I have never kept a tank up long enough to speak to the longevity of the jbs. I have used MP's for most of my builds, and bought used, keep an eye out for deals!

FYI

MP40 rated up to 4500GPH 

RW8 is only up to 2000GPH

MP40 flow is twice as powerful as the RW8. 

What is your rockwork like..... it needs to allow for a circular flow or for the flow your looking for.

I ran 2 mp40 on my 90g, when things grew in I added a 3rd to the back wall....

I would even consider two RW8's, one on each side panel.

What is your rockwork like..... it needs to allow for a circular flow or for the flow your looking for.

I ran 2 mp40 on my 90g, when things grew in I added a 3rd to the back wall....

Here is a pic of my tank, a couple of months ago. the hair algea that is on the rock on the left has mostly went away but now it is in random places towards the middle of the rockwork where flow is low.

20160408_174752_zpsx6ujkx6o.jpg

I would even consider two RW8's, one on each side panel.

So apparently they are making RW8s anymore, now they are PP8s.

For what it's worth I have the Gyre 150 on my 90 and love it, I have it setup via an IceCap box and only run it at a max of 40% during the day and it has great flow on both sides of the tank for a variety of corals.

I'd put 1 or 2 mp40 on whatever side you see fit towars the front of the glass

Issue with putting the rocks up against the back glass like that is you can't really get a circular flow as well.....so it may seem like there is not a ton of flow on the rocks because the water can't really get back there unless you have a directional pump

Get the mp40qd, it's silent and moves a good amount of water without having spots of harsh linear water movement. They last forever and I doubt you would be unhappy at any point. The controllability is so much better than the gyre. Plus the gyre reverse mode is weak. The jebo pumps don't hold their power well and don't move as much water. With all that lps I think the mp40 would be perfect with the jebo pump.