Diy algae scrubber.

Bruleyii

(edited)

So I'm not the greatest with water changes. Because of that algae has been an issue for me, so I decided to build an algae scrubber after watching a few YouTube videos.

There's still some changes I have in mind but I figured I'd show what I've done. All of your feedback is appreciated too.

What I decided on was just using a cheap pond pump from lowes and used pvc. The sheet that grows the algae is one of those cheap cross stitching sheets from michaels, ruffed up.

I decided to make it so I can easily remove it to clean it so I attached it with a union coupling to easily remove the algae part. The ball valve is so I can turn off the water without unplugging everything and also so I can controls the flow a little more. Don't mind the bad plumbing work. It was my first time doing any plumbing.

bebb0d209e226162ff604f2ac4498860.jpg

This is only 3 days after constant running and it's already getting ages on it.

3085f5c60d91c5800926f441da131270.jpg

And this is today. 12 days of running. As you can see I don't have a lot of room in the sump for a refugium so this seemed to be the best route for me.

18fd2000939c568761c957e0b5965103.jpg

If I can figure out how to post video I can post one of me doing a test run in my bucket.

A few things I need to improve. 1) I need to figure out the best way to attach a splash guard. 2) I need to find a better way to have it sitting in there and make it more sturdy. 3) I need to find a way to keep the light in my sump and not reflect off the wall into my display beings my stand is completely open in the back.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks. I hope this is helpful for others too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Origami
Added the name of the union coupling for you.

Cool concept, I've seen it done before.

I'm wondering if it could be tightened up a bit, like a maxijet into something a little thicker than the 1/4 tubing, that would probably help with the splashing, and still create enough flow over it to get algae growth. You could then hang the sheet down into the water. The only issue would be making sure the tubing stayed in place. The union is a bit bulky, you might consider using something like plastic shower curtain rings which can easily snap on and off?

It looks like it gets the job done, and that's what is important. I've always liked algae scrubbers.

(edited)

It's almost perfect but you really need to slot that horizontal PVC pipe so the screen fits in the slot. It is much easier so you don't need ty wraps and the water will flow more evenly.

2015-10-26%2014.37.39_zps68vnxb1p.jpg

2015-04-02%2003.05.41_zpsbghoat4o.jpg

Edited by paul b

I have holes drilled in now. Will the slot hold the screen?

(edited)

No it won't. The slot (which you can make with a circular saw) should be wide enough so the screen can easily be inserted. Then thread in two stainless steel, or if that bothers you, nylon screws that go through the screen into the pipe. To remove the screen just loosen up the screws. You can see those two screws on my top picture. My second picture is a larger pipe I slipped over the first pipe to control drips which is what the screening is for.

Mine also feeds the reverse undergravel filter but you won't have to do that as I am the only one who runs one of those.

Edited by paul b

I created "clips" to hold the screen in the slot using a size larger PVC pipe. I cut a small opening in the clips and just rotate them so the screen comes off for cleaning. Here's a pic http://wamas.org/forums/gallery/image/19417-algae-scrubber/ .

That links to a thread from 08 for me

That links to a thread from 08 for me

For some reason it works on the website, but I've had similar issues in Tapatalk. I thought it was my app being weird with links. Can you try the website? Maybe this is a bigger issue.

For some reason it works on the website, but I've had similar issues in Tapatalk. I thought it was my app being weird with links. Can you try the website? Maybe this is a bigger issue.

When I get home!

Some good pointers here. I might have to add a few modifications to mine.

My zip ties work for holding it and I actually get good flow. I just have to find a way to keep it stable and maybe add a splash guard to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had good results with the one I ran a while back but it was a bit noisy for my taste. You can also lay them down across the surface of the water (probably not an option for you as you mentioned limited space) to alleviate this issue. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well with me not having a splash guard and not having a good way to secure I had my first major leak on my tank. Thankfully my neighbors caught it earlier enough and notified me and Seth was nice enough to drop everything and come and help. One of the weekends I'll have to make some modifications.

Wouldn't you get better algae growth with something besides black behind the screen?

I could do white to reflect the light but I also want to contain it from getting up to my display beings my stand is open in the back.

I could do white to reflect the light but I also want to contain it from getting up to my display beings my stand is open in the back.

Oh good point. I always have my back painted black, so no light goes in.

I'm glad more people are doing AS, because it gives me more backing to do it myself.

I placed my tank in front of our breakfast nook so it's like a 2 sided tank. Kind of hard to a black back in that case. Lol

I think your scrubber looks great.  With a little experimentation you should be able to keep down any splashing or salt creep.  Here's a crazy idea -- why not put two screens there and let capillary action keep water supplied to both of them.  Every 7 days clean one off, but the second should have sufficient algae growth for high nutrient removal.  True that the back screen would not have as much light as the front one, but that should only be the case for the final few days of the 14 day growth period if the front screen has the heaviest algae.  Otherwise the back screen will mostly have enough light.

Just a crazy idea for you to consider or throw away.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been thinking more about this beings I had the massive leak. I need to figure out a way to secure it in the upright position and how to attach a splash guard.

I was thinking for the splash guard I can just get some sheets of acrylic, drill them, and then just attach them to the "feet" of the scrubber. 

If anyone has any better ideas for both of my problems, I'm all ears. 

Since there isn't any pressure, you could cut four pieces of acrylic and create a box around the entire screen to prevent it from splashing at all. Might be better to use polycarbonate so that it doesn't warp but it wouldn't need to be thick and would still be pretty cheap.

Since there isn't any pressure, you could cut four pieces of acrylic and create a box around the entire screen to prevent it from splashing at all. Might be better to use polycarbonate so that it doesn't warp but it wouldn't need to be thick and would still be pretty cheap.

Thats kind of what I was thinking. I may not need a whole box beings the light will be on the outside. Any suggestions on stability? I believe the leak was a combination of both, not having a splash guard and I think it fell over a little and ran down a wire. Glad it was only a leak to worry about.

If you wanted to keep it basically setup like you have now, you could use a pair of 90°s on each foot to drop the entire unit down about an inch so just the 90°s sat up on top of the sump.

I dont know if I have the room for that. You can see how much room im working with up top. I did see some other people do that but my skimmer has a pretty large footprint.

Its not the height thats the issue, just the depth. I pretty much have it threaded behind the skimme and still in the sump where its currently at.