New to Reef Ready. Sump, return pump and plumbing questions

ReefAddict

I have had tanks for years but just regular tanks with hang ons.  I'm upgrading to a 125 with dual overflows. So I have a few questions.

1: Should I go with a ready made sump or just use a 40 gallon breeder and put in some dividers?

2: What type of return pump is everyone using?  Are the Vertex worth the money? 

3: Are most people using 1 return pump or 2 with dual overflows?

4: Any other things I'll need to think about going from a regular tank to a RR?

Thanks

1. Go with the 40 breeder for now and put your money elsewhere where it may address a more critical/convenient need (e.g. maybe a controller).

2. I use a Reeflo Hammerhead - more than you need/want for your setup. Many people are using DC pumps. My personal opinion is that this technology is still evolving and that reliabilty is still improving, but may leave a bit to be desired. (Have a backup on hand if this is a single point of failure for your system.) A tried and true, but more power hungry return pump is probably the Danner Mag line of pumps. Consider operating costs and acquisition costs and reliability when selecting a return pump. Since it runs 24 hours a day, seven days a week, a return pump will cost you about $1 a year (actually slightly more) for every watt it consumes. So a 100W pump will cost you $100 a year to operate, while one that uses 50W will cost half that. Ultimately, lower energy consumption may reduce your overall costs to own/operate a pump that, initially, costs more. I don't know much yet about the Vertex's reliability. 

3. Most are probably using one return pump and using a manifold to split the return from their main pump. But that's just my guess.

4. Some RR tanks have top-to-bottom overflows that take up a lot of volume and footprint in tanks. You may grow to regard them as unnecessarily bulky. If the returns are in the corner, then use both returns and consider directing them to create some surface agitation. Design your system specifically so it won't spill water in the event of a power outage: Leave enough space in the sump to take the extra water from the tank should the main pump stop. Understand siphoning well enough to know that, when your return pump stops, water will start to go backward (from the tank to the sump), sucking water out of your tank until the returns in the tank are exposed to air and the siphon is broken. Likewise, plan for blockage in your drain lines (just in case). Make sure that the tank won't overflow should drainage to the sump stop. This effectively means setting the size of the return pump chamber in the sump to a volume that won't overflow your display tank. I like to put my heaters in the sump but monitor the temperature in my tank. Should the main pump stop, this results in a tank that's cooling even if my heaters are turned on. This is a flag that can indicate a main pump failure. This is just my personal preference. Others do it otherwise.

Just my thoughts.

I am only going to speak to question #1.

Go witht he 40 breeder and DIY but better yet put as big of a sump as will fit under the stand. You will be glad you did down the road

I agree with what's been said above...

I wanted to add some info for #4.. look into a full siphon setup, especially with 2 overflows it would be even easier to create.. I did this for the first time and it's so quiet and smooth once dialed in... herbie Overflow is what many call it...

I agree with what's been said above...

I wanted to add some info for #4.. look into a full siphon setup, especially with 2 overflows it would be even easier to create.. I did this for the first time and it's so quiet and smooth once dialed in... herbie Overflow is what many call it..

I agree. OP look into these types of Overflows. "Bean Animal Overflow" and "Herbie Overflow". The bean animal is preferred but I am not sure how that works on  a tank with dual overflows

Noise is the number one reason.. but there are others IMO...

Extra emergency drain, makes it nearly failsafe

No air mixed with the water making it quiet and splash free when entering the sump

With use of gate valve fine tuning flow rate and amount of water in sump is very easy

I did it for noise completely, but honestly these other benefits are great and I won't ever do another durso.. even if noise isn't a factor...

(edited)

So if I did a Herbie on one side, would you recommend using both holes on the other side for returns?  Or just do 1 for a return and block off the other one?  I guess I could do a herbie on both sides, but I don't like the idea of running the return up the back of the tank.

Edited by ReefAddict

Exactly. Use the two holes in one overflow as the herbie drain and use the other two holes on the other side as returns. For the herbie, use the smaller of the holes as the siphon and the larger one as the emergency.

Any more thoughts on most reliable return pumps?  Approximately what size do you think is best?  Looking at the Ecotech Vectra M1, but it's a lot of $$$. 

I really like the DC option.. being able to change the flow rate with a touch of a button is nice... I have a waveline, which is basically same as the jabeo ones...

Thanks for all the suggestions.  The guys at Quantum Reefs hooked me up with some great deals and advice.  I got my tank plumbed and went with a Eshopps R200 refugium sump.  

Now, what is everyone's favorite protein skimmer?  My skimmer compartment is 11.5 x 13.5.  My tank will be mildly stocked, more coral than fish.