180g basement tank

AlanM

I finally finished building the stand out of 3/4 plywood, got it into the basement, and set the tank on it!  

I am good at building with plywood, but stink at applying finish.  Oh well.

So far I have

180g AGA tank

Synergy overflow

75 gallon stock tank sump (behind the wall, under the stairs)

8x54w ATI Sunpower

big skimmer

Vectra L1 return

20160312_103626_zpsbhv839jx.jpg

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good, Alan. The overflow is refreshing to see, compared to those huge corner overflows in the stock tanks.

Also curious if you'[re going to tie it into your other tank, or if that's coming down or just running separate? You're going to enjoy the ATI! This is my favorite part of any tank!

I think I will go separate. New rock in this one. Bare bottom.  Let it cycle for a while. Transfer some good sized frags from main tanks for a few corals I really like and maybe some inverts. Sell off the fish, nem, and rest of the coral and rock at fire sale prices, and 6 months down the road start adding quarantined fish. Either quarantined myself or by Marco. 

I think that's a great idea, letting it just cycle with absolutely no rush needed. bare bottom is really nice, any chance of keeping a sandbed area for wrasse?

I would love some sand wrasses and thought about some kind of wrasse bed. I am dubious that the sand really stays in them, though. 

I feel that having your own fish and invert/coral QTs are both worthwhile. You will have a large investment in effort, time and money. I would hate for you to have a major setback from a new arrival. Even if you purchase fish from a reliable source, you can quarantine them for at least 30 days. In that time you can observe their health and condition them to your feeding regimen. I have chosen the route of prophylactic treatment for all my fish, but this isn't for everyone. You never know where/when you will come across that dream fish of yours and you can have the confidence to purchase it and place it in your QT. Both fish and coral parasites can come in with corals and inverts. This is why I also recommend a fishless invert/coral QT. 

Best of luck and looking forward to seeing this build unfold. 

Yep.  I have a 10 and 20 already running with hob filters that I will use for this purpose.  Not sure I will treat but will observe for a while. 

Love the patient approach.  Keep the posts coming.

I agree, your current system looked like it was well thought out. 

Yep.  I have a 10 and 20 already running with hob filters that I will use for this purpose.  Not sure I will treat but will observe for a while. 

Glad to hear. Which tanks are for what purpose? Just asking because the size/number of fish you can quarantine at once will be based on your QT. As you plan out your fish stocking plan, you need to ensure your QT meets those goals. For example, certain fish (e.g. tangs and/or angels) should probably be added at the same time to minimize aggression. I have a 40g breeder and my 2.5" yellow tang occasionally shows my 3" powder blue who is the boss. Not bad, but could be worse in a smaller tank. Just wanted to share some of my experiences.

Sell off the fish, nem, and rest of the coral and rock at fire sale prices, and 6 months down the road start adding quarantined fish.  

Nice plan!

Yep. I have a 10 and 20 already running with hob filters that I will use for this purpose. Not sure I will treat but will observe for a while.

Curious, are you planning to quarantine the cleanup crew? Or just a rinse/dip and then into the tank?

Wasn't planning on it.

Was planning on growing a lush forest of ugly far enough in advance of adding fish that it would take care of the fish borne disease risk from the inverts as they cleaned it up. Over two months. 

Later additions will get held with plenty of algae in a non medicated qt though. 

Last two days have been painting the back black and checking for level.  The good news is that the stand was built level when it was upstairs.  The bad news is that the concrete slab in the basement is way out of level, heh.  I'm going to have about 1/4" of shims underneath on one end.  No big deal from a visual point of view as I planned to put some quarter-round trim around the bottom where it meets the floor, but distressing given that I'd carefully planned the thing to be level and neglected to check the floor.  

Also, since this Synergy inner/outer design overflow box has a 5 inch box that sticks out the back and the tank is going to be going against the basement wall with the sump directly behind it I'm considering pushing the tank back against the wall after cutting a drywall hole for the overflow box to stick through.  Then the entire box will be on the filtration side and the tank will have little to no room behind it.  Think that's a good idea?

If I'm picturing this right, it sounds like a brilliant idea if the hole goes all the way through, and then you'd have even better access to the overflow box and plumbing from the back in case you ever need it. Just make sure the hole goes high enough to give access (is there a cover on the external box? You'll want room to pull that off, and be able to reach into the box if necessary.)

If I'm picturing this right, it sounds like a brilliant idea if the hole goes all the way through, and then you'd have even better access to the overflow box and plumbing from the back in case you ever need it. Just make sure the hole goes high enough to give access (is there a cover on the external box? You'll want room to pull that off, and be able to reach into the box if necessary.)

Yep, there's a cover.  It's a really skinny one, but I'd still need to leave a bit of room to get it off.  I'm liking this idea.  A bigger pain will be the two returns.  The one on the far right will actually end up being up inside the stairwell wall with no access from behind.  Those are stairs leading down to that door to the right of the tank.  I haven't decided if that's a deal breaker for this plan or not.

Yep, there's a cover.  It's a really skinny one, but I'd still need to leave a bit of room to get it off.  I'm liking this idea.  A bigger pain will be the two returns.  The one on the far right will actually end up being up inside the stairwell wall with no access from behind.  Those are stairs leading down to that door to the right of the tank.  I haven't decided if that's a deal breaker for this plan or not.

I would say if it restricts your access to any part of your build, then it's a no go. I would also be concerned with the salt creep/splash, and anything else moisture wise around an open hole in the wall. The second part is actually less of an issue for me than not having access to one of the returns. Alternatively, have you considered only having one return? On my old 180, even with the *almost* coast to coast overflow, the 3/4 return was enough with a Waveline 6000 for a return. I also had two MP-40's and x2 WP-40's for water movement internally though.

I would say if it restricts your access to any part of your build, then it's a no go. I would also be concerned with the salt creep/splash, and anything else moisture wise around an open hole in the wall. The second part is actually less of an issue for me than not having access to one of the returns. Alternatively, have you considered only having one return? On my old 180, even with the *almost* coast to coast overflow, the 3/4 return was enough with a Waveline 6000 for a return. I also had two MP-40's and x2 WP-40's for water movement internally though.

Interesting idea.  I already drilled two returns, but could always put a plug in one.  The salt creep is a concern for getting it close to the wall, for sure.  I plan to have about 1000 gph coming from the return which would probably go into a single return hole ok.

I'll have two Gyre pumps on the back corners mounted vertically and maybe a Vortech low on the back wall to prevent a cord going down right in the middle of the tank.

Interesting idea.  I already drilled two returns, but could always put a plug in one.  The salt creep is a concern for getting it close to the wall, for sure.  I plan to have about 1000 gph coming from the return which would probably go into a single return hole ok.

I'll have two Gyre pumps on the back corners mounted vertically and maybe a Vortech low on the back wall to prevent a cord going down right in the middle of the tank.

If you're putting a vortech on the back wall, you may as well leave yourself room to reach back there and adjust it.

If you're putting a vortech on the back wall, you may as well leave yourself room to reach back there and adjust it.

True, but I'd cut a round hole and have the dry side mostly in the room behind it. 8)

I re-read your plan. Sounds like sump an all will be behind the wall. You might as well remove a section of drywall from both sides for access...big enough you can work in and to provide proper air flow around open plumbing...no need for just a little circle I don't think. I, too, prefer the look of the tank up against the wall.

I'll take a picture of the back of the wall to give an idea of the space available.  I'd like to minimize the holes through the wall for noise reasons.