Poret foam / reticulated foam

Anemone

Probably the most common usage is bio filtration for fry tanks. Big surface area lets you have a low flow velocity but still move a lot of water. Plus the fry graze on the sponge surface. It's a unique idea, basically you use a big piece as a tank divider right at one end of the tank, with the pump behind it to move some water over to the fry side. Probably that wasn't very clear, try an image search for Hamburg Mattenfilter.

Most likely you would use an air lift for water movement. The Swiss Topicals guy sells precut sizes for common tanks and an integrated model with the air lift tube pre mounted.

I use to love this stuff in my freshwater days. I can't remember where I got it but it came from Swiss Tropicals and I bought a sheet. I would cut it to fit the height and width of a tank. Cut two holes and some airline so the entire wall was a biological and mechanical filter. Once I decided to power it with a mag 3 or 5 and had a heck of a hillstream tank.

7b959401.jpg

eb2c9a82.jpg

Looks excellent. Too bad this stuff isn't easier to find in the US.

Of course, depending on one's philosophy this could be seen as a massive nitrate factory. Definitely more common to see these on the freshwater side of things.