Fluval spec 3..... LED???

Keraxis

post-2635153-0-98634600-1453342868_thumb.jpg

Leak test in progress.  I need to upgrade the LED to grow coral.  Any recommendations for such a small tank.  

(edited)

I was thinking about Nanobox Mini Tide led..... 

Never mind.  Just realized the price of those

Edited by Keraxis

I did the same check and also just couldn't spend the money for it even though it is a super nice light. If you are handy you can do one for with a couple three way Cree LEDs on a bit of heat sink with a dimmable driver.

(edited)

I did the same check and also just couldn't spend the money for it even though it is a super nice light. If you are handy you can do one for with a couple three way Cree LEDs on a bit of heat sink with a dimmable driver.

I am certified micro soldering up to aircraft grade but its for work.  What ever I use has to look clean.... Iam kind of toeing the line on whether or not I can actually have a tank on my desk.  I went through all documents and there is nothing that says I cant but it does say you can bring your dog to work.  SB makes a a micro version of the evergrow.  https://sbreeflights.com/ He just started shipping them but I cant find a price yet.  

Before anyone asks... yes SB stands for what you think it does.  He has a good sense of humor but his lights are very good

post-2635153-0-11525700-1453381804_thumb.jpg

Edited by Keraxis

• 4 weeks later...

A par 30 on a gooseneck or even one of those desk lights with the hinge in the middle would probably work just fine.

exactly this.

The lights on the Nuvos (at least the 16) can keep LPS and softies, and even hardier SPS going. They also slide on the rim very nicely, I don't know if they can be purchased separate. Like Alan, I would suggest a par 38.

Jason recommended a DIY LED company to me a year or so back, I never ordered from them, but their customer service was on point. They sold kits for most size ranges. I would reach out to him (or see if he chimes in) As far as i know, he build his lights himself, and they are still going strong.

@jason rhoads

I ended up getting the wavepoint.  I can use the stock light and the wavepoint which has blue and white.  Should be able to handle up to lps which is what I wanted.  If it doesnt work out I can steal my 160a kessil for it but then I would have to get a new light for my daughters tank which iam setting up.  

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

do you have any updates on this tank? I still have not set mine up because I am out of town for work 1/2 the month so I have no time for a tank. BUT i am interested to see what you have done! 

S

• 2 weeks later...

do you have any updates on this tank? I still have not set mine up because I am out of town for work 1/2 the month so I have no time for a tank. BUT i am interested to see what you have done! 

S

Its setup.. I used Marine pure balls in one compartment and let it cycle for 2 months.  It has 1 pulsing xenia in it right now.  Trying to decide what other softies I want.  Needs more color