WAMAS Annual Meeting Notice (Winter 2016) Feb. 20 - Speaker: Rick Klobuchar, Jr.

Origami

==> (RESCHEDULED) ANNUAL MEETING NOTICE: <<==

WAMAS Winter 2016 Meeting - Oakton High School - February 20, 2016 (Saturday)

The Winter Meeting of The Washington DC Area Marine Aquarist Society (WAMAS) will be on Saturday February 20, 2016, 1:00-5:00 p.m. at Oakton High School, 2900 Sutton Road, Vienna, VA 22181. Lecture Hall - Go in through Door #5 at the rear of the school.

Speaker:
Rick Klobuchar, Jr., Associate Curator of the Florida Aquarium

Topic Description:
Make America’s Reefs Great Again!

Little did I know back in 2002 that the decision to focus on marine invertebrates, and corals in particular, would lead me to see some of God’s most beautiful creations, and that I would be able to see them right here in our very own backyard.  Yes, that’s right, our own backyard!  Contrary to popular belief, the United States of America actually has living reefs, and each one is beautiful and significant in its own right!  
Over the last 14 years, my career has taken me from coastline to coastline.  I’ve been witness to some of the smallest patch reefs of the Chesapeake Bay and Mid-Atlantic, to reefs spanning the length of a football field or more 5,600 miles away near Midway Atoll.  From the shallow seagrass beds and fringing reefs of Florida to the deepest photosynthetic reefs known in the Au’au channel, I’d like to say I’ve seen it all.  But, America’s reefs are like the snowflakes of the marine world in that no two are exactly alike, and even I still have a lot to learn and see.  With that said, I look forward to sharing with you my journey and observations of all the different types of reefs I have been led to over the years and the life on each that makes them truly unique and special.  They do share one thing in common; they all need our help. It is my hope that this talk will shed some light on the importance and significance of every reef, no matter how large or small, and we can all start doing our part to conserve, protect, and restore our nation’s reefs to make them great again! 

Speaker Biography:
Rick Klobuchar Jr’s obsession with all things marine began in the 7th grade when his science teacher set up a 29 gallon All-Glass Aquarium with a single tomato clownfish and long tentacle anemone during the second week of class.  From that point on, Rick was hooked and found himself reading every book, online bulletin board, magazine, and professional journal available to hone his skills on reef keeping.  He went on to do what so many fellow hobbyist have done; he began setting up system after system in his parent’s home.  Twenty four years later, he is no longer in his parent’s home, but he still finds himself overseeing system after system.  Today the tanks he oversees as Associate Curator range in size from small 15 gallon “plasma” tanks to much more sizeable 375,000 gallon artificial reef exhibits.  Rick’s passion for corals has taken him from coast to coast, and has allowed him to work with many of the greats in the industry, from Dr. Rich Pyle and Dr. Rob Toonen, to Charles Delbeek, Dr. Bruce Carlson, and Martin Moe just to name a few.   His resume includes roles ranging from Senior Biologist to Curator at the Virginia Aquarium, Virginia Living Museum, the Waikiki Aquarium, and currently the Florida Aquarium where he heads up the Florida/Caribbean coral program and leads the annual Florida Keys Coral Spawn collection efforts alongside partners from the University of Florida, Coral Restoration Foundation, and Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

gallery_2631296_685_115686.jpg

==>> WAMAS Elections <<==

This is also our annual meeting. The offices of President, Treasurer and Membership Director will be filled at this meeting (two year terms). 

See this thread for nominations and election updates.

Meeting Agenda

1:00 - 2:15 Sign-in / socialize
2:15 - 2:45 Club business (including elections for President, Treasurer and Membership Director)
2:45 - 3:00 Break
3:00 - 4:15 Speaker: To be announced
4:30 Raffle!

Miscellaneous
- food & drinks provided

Raffle Donations
- Premium Aquatics: Two $50 and one $25 gift certificate
- Avast Marine: Five $25 gift certificates
- Blue Ribbon Koi & Marine (BRK): Thrive Aquatics Dosing Supplements
- Cobalt Aquatics: Fish & Coral Food, and nano-scale prop pump
- SaltwaterAquarium.com: Pan World 200PS magnetic drive (external) pump. 1750 gph, 39' max head.
- Supreme Reefs:  Rhodactis mushroom colony
Pacific East Aquaculture (Dr. Mac):  Coral Frags
- Exotic Reef Creations: Five $25 gift certificates for use on quarantined and treated fish
- Marine Depot: AquaMaxx Hang-On Media Reactor and Aquamaxx Internal Media with Sicce Pump
- www.fishnreef.com:  Coral frag pack
- Barebottomcorals: Five $25 gift certificates

- LRS Reef Frenzy: Eight packs of LRS-brand frozen "Frenzy" fish food

- Pure Reef Systems: Sump and ten corals

And, MACNA 2015 t-shirts!

Please come back to this thread for meeting updates (including raffle prize updates).

• 3 weeks later...

Bump. Meeting reminder. Mark your calendar for February 20th!

An email will go out this weekend to remind everybody of the upcoming meeting. Hope to see you there!