Tons of questions about sand for my new SPS and LPS tank.

One fish

I am in the process of setting up a 42 gallon tank. I have had two tanks in the past with Bahama Oolite from Caribsea and I absolutely loved the look of the white sand. I tried a tank with Fiji Pink (one step darker but bigger grain size) and did not like the color. The problem is I want to start keeping SPS. My frogspawn and other LPS are huge in my 20 gallon with the Oolite but there is little flow.

I see a lot of people recommending Reef Flakes. What are Reef Flakes? Are people referring to the Aragonite Reef Flakes or the Grand Select. Does anyone know if the color difference between Reef flakes and Fiji Pink or if it is comparable?

I was also recomented this for white sand. Has anyone tried sand from eBay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEST-PRICE-Pure-White-Crystal-Reef-LIVE-Aragonite-Marine-Sand-No-Rock-/151570239450?var=450782243500&hash=item234a4a4fda:m:m8F27iG5medcu0ASY0E2I1w

As you can see I am very lost choosing a sand for SPS/LPS mixed. Any opinions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Ps: I appreciate everyone who is bare bottom, but I do own a goby and pistol shrimp. :bluefish:

I appreciate that. I am meeting up with someone tomorrow night to look at the one size smaller than the grand, the reefflakes aragonite sand.

The site states a 3.0mm grain. Will that be ok for a high flow tank? 

I think the reef flakes grain size is a little too big for my taste. I went with the mesoflakes (size in between Miniflakes and reef flakes) and love it.

Thank you for the replies everyone.

I have heard of a lot of people using the Caribsea special grade. The Tropic Eden Mini Flakes have a grain size of 2mm, the same as special grade, so I think I might go with the Mini Flakes. Just hope I can get over the aesthetics of not having sugar fine white sand that I am use to.

Edited by One fish