WAMAS participation in research?

Hello all,

My name is Jeff Greenspan, I'm local to the DC area, and I am working towards a master's degree in fisheries and aquatic sciences. I'm currently working on a funding proposal for researching Bluespotted jawfish, Opistognathus rosenblatti. These types of proposals are generally looked upon more kindly when there is support from aquacultural organizations, so I'd like to present a set of questions to WAMAS and I look forward to hearing both from the club as well as individual members.

1) Does WAMAS provide funding support for conservation and sustainability research? In this case the research is captive breeding and rearing of O. rosenblatti.

2) Can the group or any individuals assist by providing any of the following? [NOTE: Won't actually need this until/unless I get funded!] 

- funds, in any amount.

- physical space and power/utilities. I need about 1000 square feet total, but I could use up to 4 smaller spaces to conduct the research

- working equipment. Tanks or tank space, 120G or larger. Protein skimmers. Pumps. Sumps. Filters. Refugia. Culturing equipment. A good microscope. Older but working lighting. An RO/DI unit.

- consumables. Salt. Filter media. Food cultures of ciliates, rotifers, copepods

- surveillance equipment to record everything

- volunteer time, helping to build out the research and cultivation environments

At this point, your expression of specific assistance is sufficient. If it looks like I will get funding, I will circle back and ask for commitments.

Thank you all for any help or information you can provide.

Jeff

1) WAMAS has a small grant program available to schools, members of AZA institutions, and under certain other conditions. It's normally not a very large amount, though. I think that the normal limit is in the hundreds, not thousands of dollars. There is an application process led by the club VP, Sharkey18. WAMAS membership is required or at least member-sponsored applicants. Where and when available, we sometimes have used equipment that we can provide to some ventures (mostly school tanks).

2a) See above.

2b) We do not have physical space or utilities.

2c-2e) See above.

2f) Staffing is something that you would have to organize, not something that WAMAS provides as a club. We have a very active membership and, in some circumstances, you may be able to find people that, if the idea were interesting enough, might be interested in setting aside some time to volunteer. However, this would be a personal decision.