Anyone know what this is?

juanccab

I have these strange things growing out of a piece of rock I got from Florida. Tried doing a search, but to no avail couldn't find anything. dcb9861290ca8201c0f25cadf86884d3.jpg526eb02f5ce0929bb16aa08fba4163c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Looks like a tunicate, which are filter feeders similar to sponges. Google that and see if it matches, they come in a rainbow of colors so don't necessarily use color as a deciding factor, look at the shape of the tubes and stuff. I hope that makes sense.

Edited by Squishie89

Looks like a tunicate, which are filter feeders similar to sponges. Google that and see if it matches, they come in a rainbow of colors so don't necessarily use color as a deciding factor, look at the shape of the tubes and stuff. I hope that makes sense.

In the case of filter feeders such as these or sponges, it's not necessarily a bad thing to get some tagalongs with your rock work, correct? All they can do is assist in removing nutrients from the water, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, you were right. There are few different forms. Actually, I just found out that these tiny white masses that look like the tip of a cotton ball is also a tunicate.

In the case of filter feeders such as these or sponges, it's not necessarily a bad thing to get some tagalongs with your rock work, correct? All they can do is assist in removing nutrients from the water, correct?

I was reading that they filter bacteria and phytoplankton out of the water.

Correct. I will say just because of my experiences, sponges, not sure about tunucates or sea squirts, but sponges are very similar, like to pick up things and things can grow on them like algaes, hydroids, probably other stuff too. Hydroids are the bane of my reefing existence so it is a sore spot for me.