YHSublime Office Nano

I've had a lot of questions about the office nano, so I thought I would post up a "build." I put that in quotes, because I don't plan on adding or subtracting much.

The tank is originally Mike Henley's, OYUSnakebite. It originally consisted of one RBTA, a blue spot jawish, an Onyx clownfish, and a handful of hermits and snails. The RBTA split before I picked it up, and is getting ready for it's next split, which will total 3 nems in a 6 gallon Fluval Edge.

My original intention was to bring it to work, a halfway point, and slowly break it to the wife I was bringing home another tank. Monday morning, I had peaked the curiosity and interest of 100% of our staff, who convinced me to keep it at work.

This quickly has become my favorite tank that I've kept, because of the ease involved. There is the original stock LED's inside the lid, as well as 3 strip lights all on a timer, two on the outside edges, one on the front. The sand is the black argonite, and there are traces of coraline on the minimal rock, which is mostly tonga branch. There is a nano Korilla powerhead in the corner, and the fluval stock filter is setup from bottom to top: Sponge:Ceramic Bio-Media:Carbon.

The evaporation rate is minimal, and about once a week I toss in a cup of RO/DI. I keep a fresh bucket of RO/DI and a fresh bucket of saltwater under the desk. I do changes once a month, I also only change out the carbon once a month. I feed mostly pellets, but there is a non photo synthetic nem on the back, and I bring in LRS once a week for that. I've had several 3 day weekends, and the tank has been fine. The lights are all on a timer, they come on at 9AM, and turn off at 9PM. The powerhead is also on a timer, so when the lights go out, it does as well.

I claim no credit for anything with this tank, it was a turnkey system that I purchased from Mike, and it has been incredibly rewarding. Unfortuantly, the stress of the move caused the loss of the Jawfish, which was my primary reason for wanting to get this setup.

There are no plans to add any other fish, or any other corals, just simply to let it be as it is.

e00bc68fa86cbc81e7cb83c3e22ba991.jpg

6ed1dce5da5ed8634ca134626fd77211.jpg

a62f461c35ba75528874cc6fc1f6afd1.jpg

dc8c404a29dd691e5013695d85b268ee.jpg

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That thing is massive. Lol. looks good.

Haha, thanks. It's two, and it probably looks giant because it's a tiny tank. Think "fat guy in a little coat." 

I've been watching the nem in the back start to tear for the better part of 1.5 weeks now, Today the tear is nearly at the mouth. It has been the slowest split I've ever witnessed. It takes a beating right under the filter drop, I'm shocked it hasn't moved. My theory is that the light is just enough, and that is causing just enough stress. The tank is also loaded with brittle stars, every time I feed, it's like an alien movie with all the little tentacles sticking out of the rock and sand.

great little tank.  the edge was my first nano and I loved it.  I ultimately ran into the same issue you have noticed with the LEDs in the hood; they suck.  I was able to find the rapid LED for the edge and it eliminated the need for any other supplemental lights.

keep up the good work

Very nice

Super cool.  What's the red stuff in the filter intake?  is it coralline or some kind of filter media?

NICE!  Reminds me of my tank, and I love it.

Less is more!

great little tank.  the edge was my first nano and I loved it.  I ultimately ran into the same issue you have noticed with the LEDs in the hood; they suck.  I was able to find the rapid LED for the edge and it eliminated the need for any other supplemental lights.

keep up the good work

Thanks! It's a bit ironic. When I got into the hobby, I wanted to mod a fluval edge. I couldn't wrap my mind around somebody spending $400 on an AI to retro into the hood, nor could I imagine making a mod like that. Now looking back, I'm trying to figure out how I can do something like that again... but I've already got everything it needs, and that's what I love about it.

That tank is cool as H-E-double hockey sticks looking. Very nice!

Thanks for checking it out! It's an office hit.

Very nice

Thanks bud!

Very cool

Thank you.

I can see why you like this tank so much.  Simple, but has a lot of coolness.

What's even cooler is the conversations it sparks, and the curiosity it stills. It's on my desk, but it's really a community tank.

Super cool.  What's the red stuff in the filter intake?  is it coralline or some kind of filter media?

Coraline!

Sweet! I've been having wayyyyyyy more fun with my girlfriend's soft coral nano than I've had with my SPS tank lately.

Sweet! I've been having wayyyyyyy more fun with my girlfriend's soft coral nano than I've had with my SPS tank lately.

Yeah bud, it's the bees knees!

Just showed this to a colleague. She wants one now!

Remind your colleague it's not so exciting lugging 10 gallons of water a month to the office :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like I am seeing into your other life.  Your home tank was all about the zoas..... your work tank has none. 

Remind your colleague it's not so exciting lugging 10 gallons of water a month to the office :)

You need to convince them they need an RO system in the break room for their tea.  Sucks to have to lug the water.  Our ancient still broke last month, and I am getting tired of hauling water from home. :blink:

Haha. True.

I want one too.  I am eyeing the little tanks and AquaClear filters I have sitting around seeing what I can drag in and set up on my desk.

Here is a picture of the media basket. Super simple. Just did my monthly water change, a little late at that.

f9a4df8de102385c6e11f5ab290c6c42.jpg

Nice! You have any other photos of that clownfish?

4a5bdb81aa27ac85ee25078a642596c6.jpg

2c7f3d68062b1024efe6445a82181a6a.jpg

Also, so far, this entire build has had only pictures from my iPhone. Maybe I should bring the DSLR in.