Hole saw for acrylic?

mogurnda

Hey all.  I normally use glass tanks, and am quite happy drilling them.  For the new hatchery project, I ordered a custom-sized acrylic tank, and will need to drill at least one hole for a 3/4" bulkhead when it arrives.  Any hints regarding bits, or techniques that will keep me from cracking it?

I used a regular hole saw to drilled mine. it's better if you can get one with finer teeth. Just go slowly .

Also, cut out a hole on a piece of plywood and use it as a template.

Like this:

D329A62D-2EFD-4CDE-897D-8F575642CA60_zps

D121EF4B-BC1C-4C74-A487-48A43F35CA9B_zps

I just used a regular hole saw with the center pilot hole, went slow, and went from both sides of the plastic to avoid any cracking/hazing

set the torque on your drill to a low setting so if the bit binds the drill won't push it through, cracking the acrylic.

Thanks, guys.  The tank should be waiting for me when I get home.  Sounds like the key is to take it slow and keep it cool.

Thanks, guys.  The tank should be waiting for me when I get home.  Sounds like the key is to take it slow and keep it cool.

Yes. Don't go so fast and the bit won't bind to the melting plastic. Also, if you can drill from both sides (basically centering on the pilot hole), then you can reduce tear-out and make for a cleaner cut. I've found new acrylic easier to drill than old acrylic that's been exposed to salt water for a long time. Also, cast acrylic is easier to drill than extruded. Use a regular hole saw to do the job.

It was indeed easy.  Thanks, for the advice.

4125bulkhead-e1432077848154.jpg

In case you were wondering, Glasscages still uses the same wonderful workmanship.  Lots of bubbles in the cement.

4126bubbles.jpg

That's pretty shoddy with the bubbles, but great job drilling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...