ATO Recommendation?

PupChow

Lugging bucket of water everyday gets old pretty fast -- looking to set up an auto top off for my 45g cube with ~5g sump.  I'm eyeing the Tunze Osmolator 3155.000 vs. the Osmolator Nano vs. the JBJ.  Which ATO would you recommend?

I had snails activate and flood my sump with the JBJ. I removed snails and havnt had problem until a crab played with sensor. How does AVAST sensor work and has anyone had problems with false activation on them? Sounds like it's time to ditch the JBJ

The Avast works using an air pressure switch. I've never had a snail or crab interfere with its operation. If this were a real threat, then I guess that a small bit of screen or mesh could be pushed up into the sensor tube to block the progress of some intrusive critter. But, again, I've never heard of this being a problem with an Avast ATO.

I had snails activate and flood my sump with the JBJ. I removed snails and havnt had problem until a crab played with sensor. How does AVAST sensor work and has anyone had problems with false activation on them? Sounds like it's time to ditch the JBJ

Have had multiple avast on multiple systems. works nicely. never had issues with any of them.

but recently switched to the Smart ATO, and it's much better in almost every single way. It is an all in one system, you dont need to buy tubes, pump or anything.

The whole system is small and sleek. Wet and dry side easily fit in most tanks/sumps. Small and powerful pump and even a holder for the tube.  And the best is an Alert feature when your ATO reservoir is empty.

The cost is a little high at $150, but if you add up that other systems, you'll need to buy other pump, tubings, etc, this system isnt much higher at all. and if you compare to the Tunze osmolator, its actually very cheap, and much better looking and easier to use.

Edited by hlem

For me, I'd go Tunze Osmolator 3155 every day of the week. Using that on my 45g cube with 10g sump and it works like a charm. 

but recently switched to the Smart ATO, and it's much better in almost every single way. It is an all in one system, you dont need to buy tubes, pump or anything.

Ha, I'm interested in learning more. It seems that they supply the pump, though. What if I don't like their pump? Can I replace it with something I consider more to my liking? For example, I use a peristaltic pump for ATO, rather than a regular centrifugal pump. Others interface their ATO sensors to a controller. Can the Smart ATO interface to an external controller such as an Apex? 

Ha, I'm interested in learning more. It seems that they supply the pump, though. What if I don't like their pump? Can I replace it with something I consider more to my liking? For example, I use a peristaltic pump for ATO, rather than a regular centrifugal pump. Others interface their ATO sensors to a controller. Can the Smart ATO interface to an external controller such as an Apex? 

hey Tom, the system is an all in one with no real/easy way to interface with other equipment such as the apex. but with that said, the pump is a simple pump with a DC plug/jack that plugs into the sensor. Pretty straight forward that turns on/off depending the sensor. I think you can easily rewire it run a different pump tho. I like to keep things simple, water evap, add more water. done. I dont see a reason for more advance control. I guess the reason for the peristaltic pump is for an Kalk stirrer?

I could not decide between the Smart ATO or Tunze. I ended up buying both. The Smart ATO for my frag tank and the Tunze for my display. I really like the Smart ATO. Its ridiculously easy to use. Does not get much more plug and play then that. Had I not already purchased the Tunze I would have probably bought another Smart ATO. I can't comment on the Tunze since the tank isn't up yet...

Doing a little reading on the Smart ATO as well and it does look super easy; does anybody know the measurement of how much the dry-side sensor extrudes out?  I only have about 1.75" clearance between the front of the sump and the cabinet door so I am not sure if the Smart ATO would fit as an option.

Its a little over a quarter in size. front and side, i think if you can fit a golf ball in, then you should be fine. i'll get you the exact thickness of it in the morning.

OCT47286-3.jpg

smart-ato-270x330.jpg

Edited by hlem

I've used a couple Smart ATO's, they're sweet except sometimes they glitch and start beeping/not working for no apparent reason.  Just have to unplug then plug back in again.  

That said, I really like the avast, however the tunze osmolater is widely considered the safest and it's what I would go with.  

I have a smart ato sitting in a box in my garage if anyone is interested.    Like Sam said. Sometimes they get glitch so I switched it out for an avast

I've used a couple Smart ATO's, they're sweet except sometimes they glitch and start beeping/not working for no apparent reason.  Just have to unplug then plug back in again.  

That said, I really like the avast, however the tunze osmolater is widely considered the safest and it's what I would go with.  

I have a smart ato sitting in a box in my garage if anyone is interested.    Like Sam said. Sometimes they get glitch so I switched it out for an avast

interesting. i have had mine for a good 4-5 months without a single glitch. the only times I had to restart it is if i let my water reservoir runs dry so the system had to stop and beep to notify me.

Thank you hlem for the additional info, would appreciate the actual measurement if you have time (the manual didn't provide actual dimension), it's going to be pretty close...

For the Smart ATO glitching, in one of the reviews I came across the reviewer mentioned that if there is a power interruption and the water level got higher than the unit, if the unit restarted under water it would continue to beep until the the unit is unplugged and restarted with the proper water level... could this be the case?  (http://reefbuilders.com/2013/12/10/smart-ato-review-perfect-couple-quirks/)

I use a simple air pressure switch which controls an outlet into which I plug a Tom's Aqualifter pump.  Total cost for the system was around $20 and it has been working flawlessly for over 4 years. 

Whatever system you get, I think that the air pressure switches are the way to go. With using one of these, you avoid any possible issues arising from the switch getting stuck. 

I have had the JBJ and the Tunze. Both worked well and trouble free.

I covered the JBJ sensor with black mesh so snails can't trip the switch. Like I said in 7 years I never had a problem with it.

Thank you hlem for the additional info, would appreciate the actual measurement if you have time (the manual didn't provide actual dimension), it's going to be pretty close...

For the Smart ATO glitching, in one of the reviews I came across the reviewer mentioned that if there is a power interruption and the water level got higher than the unit, if the unit restarted under water it would continue to beep until the the unit is unplugged and restarted with the proper water level... could this be the case?  (http://reefbuilders.com/2013/12/10/smart-ato-review-perfect-couple-quirks/)

here you go. its less than 1.5", so you're good. the only time i had to restart the unit is when it alerts me of no water in the reservoir. so if i refill my reservoir on schedule, which i have been for a long time, i never have any issue. even when i turn off the return pump, the water level will rise way above the sensor, it does not affect it at all.

IMG_0997.JPG