Sump

dmatt56

Hello everyone,

If I upgrade to the new, larger tank with our move, I'm going to need to purchase a sump that can accommodate a DSA 225G or 300DD.  Can anyone make a recommendation on what sump manufactureres I should research?

Thanks,

Matt

Make one yourself.  Much cheaper and its not that difficult at all.

Artfully acrylic

+1

Did my 300g tank and both of my frag tanks.....any size, any shape, any features. Talk to Adam.

Making one is not only WAY cheaper but you will get a better sump. It takes about an hour to make the sump.

I could be wrong, but I think you are making this sound a little easier then it is. Buy the acrylic, buy all the items you need to build it, cut it, sand it polish it, glue it, how many baffles? What size? I think you might be over 60 min., especially if this is your first sump. IMO

Now if you are going to just buy a tank and stick in 2 precut baffles, then yes on 60 min.

Edited by DuffyGeos

if you're set on going custom we'd be happy to support the request, sir - I know you and Richard have been playing some phone tag but he's got some great ideas :happy:

I could be wrong, but I think you are making this sound a little easier then it is. Buy the acrylic, buy all the items you need to build it, cut it, sand it polish it, glue it, how many baffles? What size? I think you might be over 60 min., especially if this is your first sump. IMO

Now if you are going to just buy a tank and stick in 2 precut baffles, then yes on 60 min.

Who's going to do it out of acrylic? Yes that is a bad idea! But glass is super simple.

Make sure you use GLASS baffles. DO NOT use acrylic baffles with glass!

This is documentation that I wrote when I did mine.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2270518&highlight=how+to+attach

Depending on how big and the dimension you want your sump to be. DIY using glass aquarium is pretty easy. However, if you don't have time or required a specific size, then custom from one of the vendor here would be best.

I have a 70G glass (36x18x25) DIY sump if you're interested.  Also,I am getting ready to sell my 125G long and 150G long. These would make great sump for the size of tank you're plan on getting.