Weazl's 50g mixed, uhh, something

madweazl

The white will hide salt creep and reflect more light.

Looks great!

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd like to think I'll be keeping it clean and there wont be any salt creep but if it's anything like my previous sumps, that will last about three months :lol: As for the tinted acrylic/glass doors, I could probably remove the center section of the existing doors and use the acrylic/glass there without making it look too out of place but I'm not sure if I'd like it or not. 

(edited)

Cut a piece of 3/8" neoprene for the sump to sit on, installed a pair of clamp on florescent lights (6500k) that I had on the previous tank, and tossed the sump in there for a picture. Found a couple runs in the paint (should have painted it with the lights on, would have been so much easier) which sucks, not sure if I'm going to fix 'em or not yet. I'm Pretty happy with how it turned out and there is plenty of light for doing maintenance. My small JBJ LED light seems to have broke so I'll need to figure out something for the refugium.

Before

20150221_154812_zpsvehmjsis.jpg

After

2015-03-08%2016.30.50_zpsp7ulruql.jpg

2015-03-08%2016.29.23_zpsubnocigw.jpg

Edited by madweazl

Very nice job, looks really clean.

I agree. You might not even need a fuge light, or a heater, just run one of those lights!

What skimmer are you planning on using? There seems to be a small clearance for getting a lid on and off.

(edited)

No skimmer. I stopped using them in '09. I just run some chaeto in the sump and use 20% water changes bi-monthly for exportation. I typically feed three times a day and it gets pretty heavy when I'm out of town for work and the wife takes over. These lights have a ton of spillage into the room and would drive me nuts in the evening; gotta find something more directed like LEDs. They're great for maintenance though. 

Edited by madweazl

No skimmer. I stopped using them in '09. I just run some chaeto in the sump and use 20% water changes bi-monthly for exportation. I typically feed three times a day and it gets pretty heavy when I'm out of town for work and the wife takes over. These lights have a ton of spillage into the room and would drive me nuts in the evening; gotta find something more directed like LEDs. They're great for maintenance though. 

No skimmer?  feeding 3 x a day? I hope there is a lot of chaeto.......

It's worked just fine for 6 years now (well, no tank the last nine months). Under 90 gallons I just dont find any need for one with consistent water changes. Once you go over that, larger water changes become cumbersome and salt starts getting expensive but at 40ish gallons per month on a 75g, it's pretty easy. I used to be a huge fan of skimmers until I stopped using one and feel water changes are far more beneficial.

Tank came in two days early :) Didnt realize Marineland was using black silicone, that was a nice surprise. On the down side, they generously apply it on the inside so there is a fairly ugly "fingered" black bead on all the joints. Cant complain too much for 139 bucks though. 

(edited)

Photon technically fits under the canopy but it would only be about 3/4" off the top of the aquarium and based on my prior experience with this light, it needs to be at least 6" above the water or you get the disco effect going one with the different LED colors. We'll see how it goes once I get it all setup up but I have a feeling I'll either be hanging the lights without the canopy or trying another light setup (eyeballing the AI Primes). As it stands, these would be about 3" above the water line. 

Pay no attention to the paint on the edge there... gotta get that all cleaned up this week. 

20150309_213226_zpso6yfbm2f.jpg

Edited by madweazl

I like the stand alone rock. Maybe make one outcrop taller then the other? IMO

I like the stand alone rock. Maybe make one outcrop taller then the other? IMO

The right side is 2-3" higher than the left and I'll exaggerate this with some  branching very open corals on the right. This will retain some of the negative space I want above the rock structure and still let a good amount of light down to the lower rocks as well. I'll be using various polyps, zoa/palys, and mushrooms etc on the left side. 

The right side is 2-3" higher than the left and I'll exaggerate this with some  branching very open corals on the right. This will retain some of the negative space I want above the rock structure and still let a good amount of light down to the lower rocks as well. I'll be using various polyps, zoa/palys, and mushrooms etc on the left side. 

I was thinking one piece that maybe is 4"-5" tall and had more height then width stuck 1/3 of the way in on the left side of the right outcrop (got it :blink: ). Looks like there is a piece or two pieces on top of that large base rock. Put it on top of that.  Just a thought.

:lol: I had to take it step by step but understand. 

Yea not exactly the best wordsmithing. I also had to read it part by part :laugh:

Just finished the drilling process. It was scary for the first couple hole but it really is as easy as everyone says. I drilled two 1" ID holes for the overflow and two 3/4" holes for the returns. 

20150312_162458_zpsutk7gfup.jpg

20150312_180950_zps5e2mtfze.jpg

20150312_180753_zpsmnk2184z.jpg

How about some more pics of the overflow? You happy with the material and craftsmanship? Came with all the o rings?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It came with two, 1" bulkheads (at my request, 1.5" are typical for the 1200gph overflow at the moment but that is changing I believe), three 3/4" bulkheads, and four gaskets. The bends, edges, and weir are all nicely done but the bonding of the acrylic is pretty sloppy with lots of solvent runs. I guess this is better than not enough and leaks though. 

Booger welds

solventboogers_zpskntjrkhg.jpg

Nice gradual machined edge on the inside of the weir, I was very pleased with the detail here.

weir_zpsyae6rlvn.jpg

Great job :clap: 

In the end where those weld are you will never really see them once it is full and running.

Thanks for posting that, it would bother me also. Looks good though. I went with 1.5, but them 1" drains vs the 3/4" drains.

Pulled everything back apart and cleaned up the back glass in preparation for paint. Quite a bit of water under the trim so I'll let it dry out until I get home from work tomorrow.