The Peninsula - 200g Mixed Reef

dipg

I finally got some time and took some pictures of my tank this weekend to start this thread. For those who don’t know me, I started my first reef tank in Dec 2010 which was a 6 gallon pico and then upgraded in 2012 to 36 gallon tank. Upgrading to a bigger tank wasn’t an easy decision as my partner and I had an agreement that we wouldn’t get a bigger tank until we moved to another house. One of the reasons for not getting a bigger tank was also because we didn’t think we could have a bigger tank on the second level of our current house. Anyways, long story short we started the upgrade planning process in late 2013 but somehow we didn’t get anywhere especially since we didn’t have time and we are not handy at all so we wanted someone to come in a build our tank. Then by chance we ended meeting Mark Callahan in Jan 2014 when he was in DC area and he agreed to take on the project. And after 6 months we had our dream tank. 

Tank Dimensions: 72 x 22 x 30 Glass Aquarium - It was custom built due to the dimensions and where we wanted the internal overflow. 
36” tall Steel Stand
Acrylic Sump & Refugium: 60 x 18 x 20
Lighting: 3 x Ecotech Radions + 2 x Giesemann Razor T5 Light Bars i.e. 4 Bulbs
Water Movement: darkroom Flow Diverter, Vortech MP60 and MP40
Return Pump: Water Blaster 7000

Here is one time lapse video which I did during the build phase

The first picture I took after the lights were mounted temporarily before tank finished cycling
IMG_0005.jpg

Here is the episode Mark did recently on my tank build

I knew I wanted a bigger tank like the one I have today when I first saw Evan (Der ABT) and Travis’s (trockafella) tank back in 2010 when I went to grab one of my first coral frags from them and I still have some of those corals in my tank today. Its great to look back and realize so many members of this amazing group (members and LFS) have helped in one way or another.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(edited)

FTS from yesterday

Tank2015-22.jpg

View from the side -  The corals I got 4 years ago from Evan and Travis are visible here

Tank2015-24.jpg

Back of the tank  - the side you see coming up the stairs

Tank2015-25.jpg

Edited by dipg

WOW. Dip, this is amazing. Absolutely phenomenal!

Thanks Isaac...still work in progress. 

Dip! WOW!!!!

You are very sneaky! A whole build and you sneaked in Mr Saltwater Tank!

Very impressive!

Big shoutout to everyone at ERC and Marco for the wonderful fish. All the new fish are coming from ERC and I am just amazed by the service provided. The photos below don't do justice to the beautiful coloration of the fish.

Tank2015-8.jpg

Tank2015-9.jpg

Tank2015-14.jpg

Tank2015-15.jpg

Thanks Isaac...still work in progress. 

Always is, however, you went from a 6 gallon to a 200, and it looks fuller (and according to Mark) great growth already. I'm glad you added the T5's on the outside, look forwarding to watching this one get stuffed like your nano!

Dip! WOW!!!!

You are very sneaky! A whole build and you sneaked in Mr Saltwater Tank!

Very impressive!

Ken - nothing compares to the build you are doing but thanks for the kind words. That reminds me...I need a tour of your tank room someday. I have to convince my other half about the kind of build we should do in our next house.

Ken - nothing compares to the build you are doing but thanks for the kind words. That reminds me...I need a tour of your tank room someday. I have to convince my other half about the kind of build we should do in our next house.

Thank you for your compliments. You guys are welcome anytime.

I will need to see this new build, looks awesome!

Edited by DuffyGeos

Always is, however, you went from a 6 gallon to a 200, and it looks fuller (and according to Mark) great growth already. I'm glad you added the T5's on the outside, look forwarding to watching this one get stuffed like your nano!

Yup, I love the combination and I am seeing the difference in growth. As far as the tank looking fuller...I went on coral collection spree right when I got the zoas and palys from you...i got some nice pieces from John (Copps), surf&turf, Bruce (bbyatv) and some other member....all those frags are growing really nicely

Awesome tank, glad to hear the corals are doing good!!

Thanks, I will post some pics of the strawberry shortcake and the granulosa both of them had a lot of growth.

Thank you for your compliments. You guys are welcome anytime.

I will need to see this new build, looks awesome!

you are welcome anytime ...we live close by so just let me know little bit in advance I will make sure I am home

These guys turn 4 this week... I bought them as juveniles from BRK. Like for many in this hobby these were my first fishTank2015-13.jpg

some of the corals

Tank2015-1.jpg

Goniopora 1

Tank2015-3.jpg

ORA Goniopora - I have had this one for more than 2 years now

Tank2015-4.jpg

Tank2015-6.jpg

my slow growing palys - got one polyp frag about two years ago and now I have around 5

Tank2015-7.jpg

Just saw that video. Looking awesome. How do you do water changes? Do you have plumbing running down to the utility closet?

Thanks. Yes, the plumbing run downs to our garage where we have the mixing station set up and the waste water line is plumbed into our main drain line. I have one Apex EB8 downstairs in the garage to which the pump which pushes fresh mixed water to the tank is connected. I also have my ATO container in the garage and I use the Avast Barrel pump connected to Tunze osmolator to do the top-off

awesome to see the build thread here for everyone else to enjoy now that a lot of the hard work is done. thank you for the shout out - I'm looking forward to stocking this beauty. you did a great job with the coral selection and growth in such a short period, it's silly. I wish you continued success!

Wow! This is great, I love peninsulas and this is a nice one. Will follow for updates as things grow and the tank continues to evolve. Great set up though

very nice and clean setup.  Good job!

Thank you

Do you feed the flower pot? Do the clowns host and rub up on it? That thing is stunning

No, I don't feed any of the corals and clowns have never bothered by Gonioporas. I think the key to success of all my gonioporas is that they are all Aquacultured. 1 from ORA and other 3 from ReefGen.

I'm jealous every time I look at your pictures again.

I use to feel the same when I use to look at your pics of your tank and its inhabitants.

Wow! This is great, I love peninsulas and this is a nice one. Will follow for updates as things grow and the tank continues to evolve. Great set up though

Thanks

awesome to see the build thread here for everyone else to enjoy now that a lot of the hard work is done. thank you for the shout out - I'm looking forward to stocking this beauty. you did a great job with the coral selection and growth in such a short period, it's silly. I wish you continued success!

Thank you and I can't wait for the rest of the fish from my list to be delivered.

Good on you my friend, tank looks great, really cool place to put it as well.

Thanks Evan! I still want frags of corals from your tank.

Looks great!

Thanks you

such an awesome setup!!

Thank you